Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: We're Far From The Shallows (and Y1) Now

I’ll start reviewing tomorrow and working on Starlit Highway. @cookie would you still like a pre-read?

Also, I hope that whatever I read doesn’t end up testing me, I’ll give it high marks then. Or you could all end up dragging your feet and nothing ends up Gold. Imagine that. Maybe I can do more if I end the day in one piece.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

I’ll start reviewing tomorrow and working on Starlit Highway. @cookie would you still like a pre-read?

Also, I hope that whatever I read doesn’t end up testing me, I’ll give it high marks then. Or you could all end up dragging your feet and nothing ends up Gold. Imagine that. Maybe I can do more if I end the day in one piece.

Guessing by the ominous riddle tomorrow is:

Johnny Test

Blue and Gold

Can You Imagine

One Piece

• Like 1

JOHNNY TEST

A Michael Bay Production

So.....this is the first thing I'm going to start with. Good start to Y4. And....I don't really know what to say. It's exactly what you think it would be with Michael Bay's branding. It does veer into mildly amusing self parody, but even then it tries way too hard in that regard and it lacks the sincerity to make it an enjoyably campy mess. It's just a mess.

1/10

Related image

• Like 2

CAN YOU IMAGINE?

A Genndy Tartakovsky Production

With the trend of space operas and animation-to-live action reboots taking hold on this forum a good deal, there's something else to be said for resurrection of dead animated projects, from ME & MY SHADOW back in Y1 to MY PEOPLES in Y3 and the upcoming LARRIKINS (both of which, like this film, incidentally from @YourMother the Edgelord), one of my favorite aspects of CAYOM is the chance to imagine what could have been with these productions.

Lo and behold, Can You Imagine is a delightful and heartfelt treat, and perhaps the finest product yet from the animation studio at Endless Entertainment. As @Xillix mentioned, it does play a lot like Notes From The Otherpsace Jr., but it offers a few charming and unique elements to help distinct itself. Quite a few interesting dynamics are at play here, even beyond the magical and engrossing visual look of Ethan's imagination. Jennifer and Kyle get to have pretty decent chemistry together, while the two idealized versions of these parents (both in Ethan's and their own minds) plays as an interesting concept. The heart of the film is very much in the right place, and I liked a lot of where it was going.

The ending doesn't 100% stick a landing, from Ethan becoming a giant hulking monster to most of the stuff regarding the Tom Hanks teddy  bear (up to and including his fairly rapid Heel-Face Turn) feels a bit less compelling and more frivolous than what I was hoping for. Yes, I shouldn't be saying that in a film with lizard pirates, but it felt almost....too much? However, as the film ends, it does so on a satisfying and heartfelt note, one that even made me tear up a little.

So overall, it's a film that's visually inventive, usually quite funny, touching, and a lot of fun to sit back and enjoy. One of my favorite animated projects in the game so far.

8.5/10

tumblr_p9zfjbg8Z91vkwufpo4_540.gif

• Like 2

ONE PIECE: THE JOURNEY BEGINS

A Jon Watts Production

As I mentioned a bit earlier, and as hinted at in other reviews, there are some editing and storytelling issues that drag the film down. The plot feels super jumpy and doesn't really have a consistent flow, kinda meandering at times to jumping around wildly at others. The characters seem well casted based on my cursory knowledge of the manga, but I wish that they (aside from Luffy) got more to do. Wolfhard, however, does a great job as the youthful, optimistic Luffy, and if anything holds the movie together, it's him.

The action setpieces and visual designs are enough to make it a fun breezy time at the movies, some of the sequences even being quite inspired, and I am pretty interested in seeing where the story goes from here. @Reddroast, once you settle into CAYOM and begin to figure out what is and isn't working, I'd say you have great potential as a filmmaker. This wasn't a bad start, but keep working at it.

5/10

Image result for bradley cooper gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1