Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: We're Far From The Shallows (and Y1) Now

5 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

It’s goint to take some time to get to reviews today. I’m helping a friend move, and it’s taking way longer than I expected.

Take your time.

• Like 1

BLUE AND GOLD

A Peyton Reed Production

This was an absolute delight. Some of the story beats are a bit bumpy (namely the rushed introduction of the characters' superpowered alter egos), but as a whole, it succeeds precisely in what it set out to do: Creating a fun and joyous superhero romp full of excitement, laughs, and charm. And Peyton Reed has it all in spades.

The movies lives on Butterfield and Austin's chemistry, and they're so much fun to watch together. It's clear they had a great time making the movie, and their playfulness, sincerity, and heart transfers quite nicely onto the big screen. The villain wasn't quite as impressive, but it doesn't truly matter with the success of the protagonists. The tonal jumps between superhero beats and surreal comedy work pretty well, and it makes the beats feel less mundane then they could have in less capable hands.

Will it reinvent the superhero genre? Probably not. Is it a good way to have a great time at the movies? Absolutely.

7.5/10

tumblr_p9zfjbg8Z91vkwufpo4_540.gif

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

BOOSTER GOLD

Is that a typo or a CAYOM 2.0 in joke?

Thanks for the review. Glad you liked it. I surprised people liked it so much or at all considering my past superhero film fails. I honestly had a lot of fun writing it.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

AMERICAN DRAGON: DARKNESS RISING

A Jon Turtletaub Film

As someone who decently enjoyed the first film, but not enough to truly rave about it, I enjoyed this a bit more. The film is at its best when it's focusing on Rose and her redemption and conquering of her past, helped by a strong performance from Morgan Lilly. The fight sequences are also quite a sight to behold.

The film is a touch less compelling with its central plot, but I appreciated the minimal focus on action and more on drama. It doesn't help that the reveal with the villain could be seen from a mile away and doesn't offer too much in terms on unique perspective. The action sequences in the climax are very thrilling, but it's an awkward case where the subplot is a bit more engaging than the regular plot. Either way, this is a super fun universe to explore, and it's perfect as a piece of summer entertainment. Looking forward to Part 3.

7/10

• Like 3

MARKED UP TIME

A Lord and Miller Production

It's very much a wild odyssey, and one that I actually helped @Blankments conceive. I admit that I didn't understand it all, but the film gives you plenty of space to just sit back and enjoy the rollercoaster ride that it goes on. It manages to be quite touching at times, and the casting works on account of Lucas Hedges' strong performance, despite being a bit young. Even as the plot gets convoluted, you can tell everyone is having a blast in this bonkers ride, although it's pretty damn easy for it to get lost on the audience. It may be a bit risky to reach out to a general audience.

Also, it's an impressive ensemble even if the ages don't quite match: Lane, Goldblum, Whishaw, and Driver all do well with the material they have, plus you get some pretty fun cameos along the way. Not perfect by any means, but it never takes itself too seriously to the point where you can't just have a good time with it. And for that movie, it's just right.

7.5/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

Yeah Dacre is getting a lot of good stuff here.

I'd say he should just morph and solve everyone's problems...

...but we all know he can't do that until the last 20 minutes or so.