Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: We're Far From The Shallows (and Y1) Now

PILLARS OF ETERNITY: THE HOLLOW VALE

A Miguel Sapochnik Production

Let's get this out of the way first....it's a very, very dense film. @4815162342's edits compared to initial draft I read makes it a little more manageable, and I felt pretty much about to grasp the story, but it could be a bit much at times. It did have the side effect of making me actually want to seek out and play the game, so that's a plus.

However, for the most part, it's still quite a fun ride. Following the band of heroes on their quest, with Ana De Armas as a capable lead alongside standout performances from Stevens, Duke, and Simmons and an enjoyably slightly-campy Colin Farrell (The best Colin Farrell, mind you) that make the story engaging. You get some impressive visuals, probably more so due to the game's tendency towards Sci-Fi over medieval fantasy giving us a more unique look, while the film itself is consistently entertaining and intriguing, even as it's a lot to take in.

I'll probably watch it time and time again and perhaps play the game, but the film creates a fun world that I hope to come back to very soon, even if it doesn't completely work for me. Still does well enough that I look forward to part 2.

8/10 (Technically close to a 7.5 but the casting puts it over.)

tumblr_p9zfjbg8Z91vkwufpo4_540.gif

• Like 3

MASS EFFECT

A Matt Shankman Production

Seeing Mass Effect as a film, after having played the games for the first time 7 years ago, felt like a surreal joy. It's maybe my favorite video game series (to the point where my cat is named Garrus) and I was very curious to see how Numbers would bring the film to life. Moreover, this game has had its fair share of space adventures, which makes it a good time to point out how much of the Spark saga was inspired by this series. It was a pretty wild effect.

And moreover, the film is really solid. I liked the approach that was more prequel-esque than just diving into the first game right away, as we really get to invest in this world a bit more. Mackenzie Davis brings a unique spark to Commander Shephard, and she carries the movie quite well. I also dug the more political thriller/Mission Impossible kind of vibe throughout the film. The villain reveal, while making for an interesting scene, comes a bit too late and ends too abruptly to make a clear impact, but the credits scene does set up some interesting possibilities.....maybe best to give a better treatment to Kai Leng, though. ;)

My love for the lore of this series may have bolstered my opinion of it, but I'd say that I still really dig it. Does it match The Scavenger Wars? Probably not, but every space movie is its own, magical thing. And I totally dig that.

8.5/10

tumblr_p9zfjbg8Z91vkwufpo4_540.gif

• Like 4

With respect to

Spoiler

Jakey G's character, there would be no way of pulling back the curtain on his character without essentially changing the entire third act of the film to something quite different. If he was outed earlier, it would have required a big stretch of logic and implausibility for him to be on X57, in a position to go to his extreme. 

I will note that the original version of Mass Effect was substantially different, in that Jakey G did not exist, Banes and Markor were one character, basically midway between the two in prominence (for those with good memories, Ben Foster was originally cast in this film, in that role), and I was spitballing Banes and the Normies reluctantly working together to stop Balak. But then the Spark 2 backlash hit and Spaghetti dramatically changed Venchell and the casting, so because I really liked the first version of Venchell a lot more than the revised one, I felt Jakey G needed to be redeemed.

So really @Spagheditary, it's all on you! :Venom:

Edited by 4815162342
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, Rorschach said:
  Hide contents

You better believe Jake G. is gonna be a villain in one of my films down the line...

Hide contents

In an animated film :sparta: 

Same here

Spoiler

Also in an animated movie.

• Like 1