Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: We're Far From The Shallows (and Y1) Now

Ah, screw it.

To help get more reviews for January films, I'll give number grades to each film and nothing more unless furhter elaboration is requested. I'll go out of my way to review bigger things, however.

Also....I promised @Blankments I would read by the Balls tonight. So....I will do that after January.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

Ah, screw it.

To help get more reviews for January films, I'll give number grades to each film and nothing more unless furhter elaboration is requested. I'll go out of my way to review bigger things, however.

Also....I promised @Blankments I would read by the Balls tonight. So....I will do that after January.

You gotta review Son of Rosemary. You'll actually wanna punch your computer screen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

Ah, screw it.

i'd give you a react if i didn't run out of likes earlier

so instead, i love yu bb

January

Johnny Test - 1/10

Already reviewed. The less said again, the better.

Dead Space - 3.5/10

You kill off John Cho with 5 minutes of screentime? For shame.

Haunting Hour - 2.5/10

It feels like a film made by a computer algorithm.

The Mole - 6/10

You could do worse in January. An alright whodunit.

Baseball Boy: Swing for the Fences - 4/10

The deeply disturbed little brother to Notes from the Otherspace.

When a Stranger Calls - 3/10

Kanye is the only thing that could elicit some reaction.

• Thanks 1

By The Balls

A Tony Yacenda Production

I'll give credit where credit is due. This is very much one of the most pointed, sharp, and maybe bold films I've read in CAYOM thus far. It takes a lot of risks (whether or not they pay off is a point I'll touch on later) and plays in a quite unconventional way. IN this sense, I'm not sure how well it'll hit with audiences once it gets released, but it certainly throws me for a loop in a good number of places. But I feel like this isn't the conversation to focus on right now.

The premise is certainly a striking one, where the reality of the world is so surreal and so blatant in its indictment of modern society that it becomes fascinating to explore in and of itself (a la Sorry to Bother You and Assassination Nation, which also ends on an ambivalent, slightly downer ending) but it's carried with Olivia Cooke's effective straight-woman routine, not prone to her own funny and inspired moments, but she does a good job at helping us see this slightly warped version of our world. Bradley Cooper, however, steals the movie as the father of male star of the female sports team. He does a great job of bringing the artificial machismo, family oriented, yet subtly diabolical character, and his last scene, just as you think it's going to veer into unwanted melodrama, turns into an almost masterpiece of cringe cinema. Most of the other characters are fairly one note and do well with their characters, but it's really just those two who stand out. Jimmy Tatro's character, while funny and sharp, feels kinda one note, while Tremblay also gets a few laughs, albeit laughs you cringe through.

For what is kind of a one joke premise without a really satisfying punchline (which is kind of the point, admittedly), it does manage to get some fairly solid commentary on toxic masculinity, abortion, white privilege, social media, privacy, and a lot you could infer from our current administration. Not everything lands, and it does get a bit too obvious at times, but for the most part, it's fairly compelling and interesting stuff. It can be a quite bizarre and uncomfortable watch, which again seems intentional, but it'll be interesting to see how this catches on with a mainstream audience.

It's not a perfect movie by any means, but it's very much an ambitious and fascinating satire. I highly recommend it.

8.5/10

tumblr_p9zfjbg8Z91vkwufpo4_540.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Son of Rosemary

An Alejandro Amenabar Production

This can't be as bad as people say it is. I mean it's weird that it's getting remade, but I've seen weirder. Let's dive in.

About a third of the way in. Nothing egregious yet, but I'll keep reading. Maybe a bit silly at places, but I'm somewhat intrigued.

Oh god this is 'Life After Death' all over again, isn't it?

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

LMAO WHAT

THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR FRED ASTAIRE HOLY SHIT

UM

OKAY

WOW.

2/10

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spagheditary said:

Son of Rosemary

An Alejandro Amenabar Production

This can't be as bad as people say it is. I mean it's weird that it's getting remade, but I've seen weirder. Let's dive in.

About a third of the way in. Nothing egregious yet, but I'll keep reading. Maybe a bit silly at places, but I'm somewhat intrigued.

Oh god this is 'Life After Death' all over again, isn't it?

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

LMAO WHAT

THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR FRED ASTAIRE HOLY SHIT

UM

OKAY

WOW.

2/10

@Xillix said the book is much worse

KINGDOM OF THE SUN

A Michael Gracey Production

I don't know much about this version of the story, but I'm guessing that a lot of the inspiration that @YourMother the Edgelord drew was from the original version of the film. I know production has been quite a strenuous journey for the animated film, so I'm assuming that this version represents a live action retelling of the film that could have been. Quite an interesting route, but how does it fare?

I will remark that when I first read the cast, I was quite intrigued by the double casting of Jake T. Austin. It's more obvious why as the story commences, but it's a fairly predictable body swap story placed within elements of the animated version. That said, it manages to pretty enjoyable with some amusing situations, fun characters, and really creative visuals at times. The coin man was particularly a fun trick. The new elements work fairly well, and some of the stuff at the end is pretty fun (although the ending almost directly rips off The Boss Baby....yeah, someone actually stole something from that movie.) Also, Kronk not being like his animated counterpart is fine, but IDK if he really even needed to be in the movie at all. Pfeiffer is also a mjaor standout, while Farmiga also gets to have some fun. (IDK if white actors were right for this, but they still shined either way)

All in all, a fun time, even when it doesn't shake the earth.

7/10

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

almost directly rips off The Boss Baby....yeah, someone actually stole something from that movie

I didn’t even realize it until now, mainly cause I haven’t seen Boss Baby since like November.

• Like 1