Alpha

On Cinema at the Cinema w/ Alpha: Season 4

These were great movies!

You're not gonna believe this movie, you won't regret it.

QUIET ON SET!

It's On Cinema, at the Cinema, with me, your host, Alpha.

Everyone is granted three movie requests. You can only request one of yours.

I'm grading on a five-point scale, from one bag of popcorn to five bags of popcorn.

🍿

🍿🍿

🍿🍿🍿

🍿🍿🍿🍿

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

I'll also throw in a gif of Gregg Turkington to indicate whether I liked the move, disliked it, or felt indifferent about it.

tumblr_n2ivhnrzjV1rgcqrbo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Hold off on your requests until next Tuesday.

A small change: since the deadline has changed, starting tomorrow you are allowed to request two films from January - June, and after October 15th you are allowed to request another two from July - December. Again, you're only allowed to request one film of yours from each period.

• Like 2

Alright, here's the order for reviews. Bold indicates the review is already up.

Marked Up Time

The Odyssey: Homecoming

One Piece: The Journey Begins

Earthsong - Volume I: Haven’s Guard

Mass Effect

High School Musical 4: Reunion

Pillars of Eternity: The Hollow Vale

Pokemon: Rise of the Rockets

Can You Imagine

Brave

Carnosaur

The Square Mile

Spark: Beyond the Sky

Kingdom of the Sun

Tulpa

Silent Hill: Restless Dreams

Sir Thymes Time

By the Balls

Fortnight

The review for Marked Up Time will be posted tonight. The Odyssey review will take longer as I've gotta reread the Spoils of War and Counsel of the Dead.

Edited by Alpha

Marked Up Time

Mixed to positive results here. I'm not a big fan of time travel movies, as I think it's a part of science fiction that's been explored thoroughly enough that even parodying or deconstructing it feels kinda derivative. Still, this movie features a lot of the Lord and Miller charm and wit that permeates their body of work. Sasha Lane is the real standout from the cast here, and Ben Whishaw does charming voice work here as KITT from Knight Rider another talking car.

My first big criticism is the casting of the lead actors. Lucas Hedges is only 21 years old, and he really doesn't come off that believable here outside of his scenes in college. Not to mention that 34 year-old Adam Driver is Hedges' son from 25 years in the future? That caught me off guard. Hedges has certainly pulled off dramatic roles well in the past, but here he just comes off like a kid. Even Zendaya and her character come off a little too young, considering that Agent Violet is a literal timecop. I think an older, more charismatic lead actor for the role of Mark would've done a better job here, and would've helped that dynamic with Driver's character be a little more plausible, even within this film's universe. 

Smaller question: when Jake first explains to Mark that only the consciousness gets sent back in time when Mark first travels back to his college years, does that same rule not apply to Jake and Violet?

And finally...

The film's biggest weakness is its ending. There are two big ending setpieces in the Kaleidohole, with the different versions of Mark and the introduction of Kronos, and I wished that the filmmakers went with one over the other. In my opinion, I prefer the former over the latter, as I think it contributes more to character development for both Mark and Audrey and the presence of Kronos just adds another dimension to this universe that wasn't really needed for the third act. Comparing this to other Lord/Miller movies, having both feels like if in the LEGO Movie, after Emmett traveled to the human world and back, he went back again to meet his maker at the LEGO Factory in Billund, Denmark.

Overall, it's a fun ride with a human touch, but the plotting and casting issues left me wanting a more cohesive film. Still, it should be enough to please crowds in the spring.

Overall rating: 🍿🍿🍿

giphy.gif&key=37020597ef180fc0415f6464ab

Edited by Alpha
  • Thanks 1

@Spagheditary told me Lucas Hedges was a good choice even tho I thought about changing it four or five times; is this sabotage???

Seriously though, I understand the problem with Hedges' casting definitely although Jake is supposed to be somewhat older than Mark; I imagine Mark around 25 and Jake around 28, but Hedges may have been too young for that. I do find it interesting you had a problem with Zendaya because IMO I almost didn't cast her because she's too old for the role in my mind. As for your question about Jake and Mark's time travel compared to Aubrey and Violet's, there was an explanation in an earlier draft of the script that was cut:

Basically, Mark's time travel being touch-based makes it so it's only his consciousness that time travels. When Aubrey time travels with Violet, she's completely covered by the time machine, which is why she physically goes back with her. I'm a firm believer of cutting unnecessary exposition; there was an entire sequence explaining how time travel was invented in the world along with how the two timelines worked in the very first draft, that was cut because everyone told me it'd be better to go the Looper route of not bothering to explain

Thank you for the review! :D

• Like 1

Alright, so here's the plan:

• The Odyssey reviewed will be released Saturday night (meaning today, as I'm posting this at 2 AM on Saturday :P). Sorry for the wait, @Rorschach
  • I'll be going through the rest of requests for the first half of the year. In the meantime, you can start requesting two films from the second half. One of them can be your own, the other has to be from another player. Hopefully I should get through all of them over the coming week.
  • After I'm finished with all requests, I'll do short reviews of everything else from this year and then I'll move on to my Top 25 list.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1