Alpha

On Cinema at the Cinema w/ Alpha: Season 4

The Odyssey: Homecoming

Alright, first things first, let's get the first two parts of this epic saga out of the way:

The Spoils of War - It's a solid start to the adventure in front of us, but it can be a bit narratively exhausting at times. 🍿🍿🍿

The Counsel of the Dead - A far more focused installment that ramps up the intensity and action while pulling the series out of the first's narrative lull. It also features an incredible climax to boot. 🍿🍿🍿🍿

Alright, now on to Homecoming. I won't spend much time gushing over it as I feel like people have already covered what makes this final installment such a banger, so let's make this brief. I especially liked the use of the R rating as it makes the gory climax and everything inbetween all the more impactful, whereas previous films had been holding back. Overall, besides the use of some modern colloquialisms that don't fit solidly into ancient Greece, I don't have any real qualms with this film. What an incredibly bold, incredibly satisfying and totally unforgettable payoff for this saga. Well done @Rorschach

Overall rating: 🍿🍿🍿🍿🥤

tumblr_n2ivhnrzjV1rgcqrbo1_500.gif&key=c

(And yes, the cup of soda represents half-a-star. So you got 4-and-a-half stars, @Rorschach)

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One Piece: The Journey Begins

Hopefully some success at the box office for this adaptation leads to more cohesive followups. While I should give credit to its unique atmosphere and Finn Wolfhard's performance, the film is overall a bit dull and distracted. The screenplay is out there, and not in a good way (probably due to some grammar issues that can be resolved in the future), and the story is pretty kitsch. Overall, it's a lukewarm adventure that I imagine younger kids will enjoy but will leave others wanting more.

Overall rating: 🍿🍿

giphy.gif&key=1c4360c3e45d05ca987b9af926

• Like 2

Earthsong: Volume I - Haven's Guard

There are plenty of things to like about this film. For one, Julie Taymor is a confident choice for director and her offbeat theatrical style certainity fits well with the film's many colorful characters. Not to mention that the performances are all around are solid, with Jennifer Connelly standing out as a hypnotizing presence as the titular character.

But ultimately, multiple factors drag this film down for me. First off, for all the characters that are introduced within the first few moments of the film, hardly any of them get further developed and just become kinda one-note, like Elle Fanning's Willow. The plot also suffers from some issues. The film certainly has an intriguing concept, but there's exposition dumps here and there that make the whole story less interesting. Finally, I'll also echo other's complaints that the film ends too soon, and the cliffhanger ending is going to more disappointed to audiences than a way to get them in the seats for the next film.

Overall, while Earthsong excels in its technical aspects, its hindered by a clunky plot that doesn't really take advantage of its creative setting. Sorry @Xillix

Overall rating: 🍿🍿🥤

giphy.gif&key=37020597ef180fc0415f6464ab

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Sorry @Xillix

Overall rating: 🍿🍿🥤

Eh. It's not like it's unreasonable. Virtually all of the problems you pointed out are 1) valid and 2) a consequence of the fact this isn't a story but the first third of a story, during which everything had to be explained and set up. The sequels (again, assuming I get to make them) will be a lot more interesting and I can promise you Willow gets a LOT more development once her... mystery is solved.

Mass Effect

While it would be easy for a video game adaptation like Mass Effect to get lost in it's ambitions, this film succeeds primarily because it remains brisk and well-paced throughout it's runtime, never becoming too bogged down by world-building or its political elements. I also really enjoyed the performances of Mackenzie Davis and Jake Gyllenhaal as Shepard and Banes, thus proving once again that Femshep is the best Shep. It's a fun, engaging ride that was born to be a crowdpleaser.

Overall rating: 🍿🍿🍿🍿

• Like 3

High School Musical 4: Reunion

I was never into High School Musical even back in grammar school, and this is basically what you'd expect having seen the original three. The plot is ultimately very cliched, with Hugh Jackman's character being the worst offender as a "sports are better than the arts" principal so stereotypically nefarious it hurts. I imagine it would be a fun nostalgic ride for anyone who grew up with the original, but it's not going to win over any potential converts like me.

Overall rating: 🍿🍿

giphy.gif&key=1c4360c3e45d05ca987b9af926

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry for the wait @4815162342, but I have a feeling you're not going to like what I have to say.

Pillars of Eternity: The Hollow Vale

*finishes reading all 25k words*

DGEoPl3.gif

You know how I said Mass Effect benefitted from being brisk, well-paced and not getting bogged down in the process? While there's plenty of admirable things to talk about here, what keeps Pillars of Eternity from becoming a truly great film is that there's just so much going on at once that it was easy for this critic to get lost in its world multiple times.

Now, to be fair, as a writer, I've been guilty of too much worldbuilding. The first Amulet is an incredibly exposition-heavy film that at points feels overstuffed. But right from the get go, this felt like worldbuilding overkill. Right off the bat in the opening narration we're introduced to dense lore about gods and goddesses walking the earth, reincarnation and children without souls that felt more intimidating than inviting, especially to someone like me that isn't into hard fantasy. Maybe this is the kind of setting that works best in a video game when a there's a large, expansive world for the player to explore, but in a movie it felt cramped and overstuffed.

That being said, there's still a lot that Pillars of Eternity does well that kept me engaged. The film truly excels in creating interesting characters with interesting arcs, and the large action setpieces are thrilling. But while some might find its expansive world absorbing, I just found it overwhelming. Maybe it's just not my kind of film.

Overall rating: 🍿🍿🍿

giphy.gif&key=37020597ef180fc0415f6464ab

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pokemon: Rise of the Rockets

It's an improvement on the first installment with great action, a better story and even some more mature themes. There's not much below the surface of this movie but at the end of the day it fulfills its purpose as fun popcorn entertainment.

Overall rating: 🍿🍿🍿🥤

• Like 2

Well, it's been coming for a while, but without much fanfare, here's my Top 25 Countdown for the year. Each film will have its score.

TULPA
by @Rorschach

★★★

KINGDOM OF THE SUN
by @YourMother the Edgelord

★★★

STORIES FROM EDEN
by @Spagspiria

★★★

MARKED UP TIME
by @Blankments

★★★