Rorschach

Rorschach Reviews Y4: Now with 100% More Hot Takes

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Also thanks for the positive review on CYI?. It was a real passion project for me personally. 

Yeah I feel ya there. The Odyssey has always been one of my major dream projects (not my biggest one though but close). It definitely shows how much love you put into it. Keep it up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Yeah I feel ya there. The Odyssey has always been one of my major dream projects (not my biggest one though but close). It definitely shows how much love you put into it. Keep it up!

Likewise. Look forward to reading Odyssey: Homecoming.

• Like 1

One Piece: The Journey Begins

I love Indiana Jones. I love Pirates of the Caribbean (to a certain extent). A combination of the two should be great, right? Well, sort of.

I will say this: I'm very interested to see where this franchise goes. There's certainly a lot of fun elements about it. Finn Wolfhard is very entertaining and charismatic as the lead, the world the characters inhabit is a fairly interesting one I'd love to learn more about, there are some fun set pieces in regards to action scenes, and its light-hearted enough that I really can't complain too much about it. 

That said, this movie has quite a few problems holding it back. The writing is extremely sloppy. There's no real sense of structure as the film goes along and you leave the theater not really having remembered all the story details. A lot of the side characters feel incredibly one-dimensional/unmemorable, which is a big issue since there's so many of them. I was very let down that the overall story had little to no depth behind it and that, by the end of it all, it left me feeling empty when the final credits started rolling.  

It's a damn shame because I'm usually a sucker for swashbuckling films in the same vein as this film. That and I'm extremely supportive of any attempts at an anime adaptation (though I'm not too familiar with this series in particular), so it was kind of a letdown to see this hopeful franchise stumble out of the gate. Here's hoping for a better sequel.

5/10

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rorschach said:

One Piece: The Journey Begins

I love Indiana Jones. I love Pirates of the Caribbean (to a certain extent). A combination of the two should be great, right? Well, sort of.

I will say this: I'm very interested to see where this franchise goes. There's certainly a lot of fun elements about it. Finn Wolfhard is very entertaining and charismatic as the lead, the world the characters inhabit is a fairly interesting one I'd love to learn more about, there are some fun set pieces in regards to action scenes, and its light-hearted enough that I really can't complain too much about it. 

That said, this movie has quite a few problems holding it back. The writing is extremely sloppy. There's no real sense of structure as the film goes along and you leave the theater not really having remembered all the story details. A lot of the side characters feel incredibly one-dimensional/unmemorable, which is a big issue since there's so many of them. I was very let down that the overall story had little to no depth behind it and that, by the end of it all, it left me feeling empty when the final credits started rolling.  

It's a damn shame because I'm usually a sucker for swashbuckling films in the same vein as this film. That and I'm extremely supportive of any attempts at an anime adaptation (though I'm not too familiar with this series in particular), so it was kind of a letdown to see this hopeful franchise stumble out of the gate. Here's hoping for a better sequel.

5/10

Great review. I have plans for the sequel to remedy most of the flaws.

• Like 4

February

Blue and Gold

This was some fun shit.

8/10

Reality Shift

Tbf, I'd rather watch that than most other shows airing.

7/10

Son of Rosemary

2/10

Frosted

1/10

Imagine Dragons: The 3D Concert 

These kind of movies still exist? 

4/10

The Female Man

DuVernay still deserves better.

5/10

Stories From Eden

Not enough Bill Skarsgard eating little children.

5.5/10

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Rorschach

@4815162342

@YourMother the Edgelord

At least I didn't make you read stuff like this from the book...

Spoiler

The incest subplot between Rosemary and her son

Spoiler

The bit where Rosemary discovers her son and all the executives periodically hold ritualistic robed orgies in the HQ building while getting high off tannis root, the devil plant used to help her antichrist pregnancy, and is not only convinced to be okay with this but participates in one

Spoiler

Andy not just being a popular philanthropist but a universally-adored godlike figure who literally grew a beard to look more like Jesus, and almost everyone on earth wears an "I heart Andy" button

Spoiler

Andy admitting to Rosemary that, while his backers pressured him, he was the one who ordered Judy killed, and Rosemary being all "well that's bad but I'm not gonna do anything about it because these fucking candles are more important somehow"

Spoiler

Also Judy's full fake name being "Judith S. Kharayat" in case the parallel wasn't obvious enough. And to justify that name she was in brownface for most of the book pretending to be an Indian woman, which somehow no one noticed until the coroner looked her over.

Spoiler

The subplot about Rosemary trying to get her own talk show

Spoiler

The original climax, in which Rosemary actually AGREES to marry Satan and then is surprised to find herself on an elevator down to hell

Spoiler

The ROAST MULES anagram never actually being solved

Spoiler

The original ending, which is much more ambiguous and more heavily suggests that it was All Just a Dream

I'd heard it wasn't very good but I was actually SHOCKED by what a complete piece of shit it is, coming from the same author as the original. Maybe they'd become senile in their old age.

Edited by Xillix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Xillix said:

@Rorschach

@4815162342

@YourMother the Edgelord

At least I didn't make you read stuff like this from the book...

Hide contents

The incest subplot between Rosemary and her son

Hide contents

The bit where Rosemary discovers her son and all the executives periodically hold ritualistic robed orgies in the HQ building while getting high off tannis root, the devil plant used to help her antichrist pregnancy, and is not only convinced to be okay with this but participates in one

Hide contents

Andy not just being a popular philanthropist but a universally-adored godlike figure who literally grew a beard to look more like Jesus, and almost everyone on earth wears an "I heart Andy" button

Hide contents

Andy admitting to Rosemary that, while his backers pressured him, he was the one who ordered Judy killed, and Rosemary being all "well that's bad but I'm not gonna do anything about it because these fucking candles are more important somehow"

Hide contents

Also Judy's full fake name being "Judith S. Kharayat" in case the parallel wasn't obvious enough. And to justify that name she was in brownface for most of the book pretending to be an Indian woman, which somehow no one noticed until the coroner looked her over.

Hide contents

The subplot about Rosemary trying to get her own talk show

Hide contents

The original climax, in which Rosemary actually AGREES to marry Satan and then is surprised to find herself on an elevator down to hell

Hide contents

The ROAST MULES anagram never actually being solved

Hide contents

The original ending, which is much more ambiguous and more heavily suggests that it was All Just a Dream

I'd heard it wasn't very good but I was actually SHOCKED by what a complete piece of shit it is, coming from the same author as the original. Maybe they'd become senile in their old age.

If you kept that stuff in, I think it would be pretty hard for another film to top it as the worst of the year.

But it isn't and probably won't be.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

If you kept that stuff in, I think it would be pretty hard for another film to top it as the worst of the year.

But it isn't and probably won't be.

tbh the only reason I even went ahead with the movie was because otherwise I would have read that garbage for no reason, and I could not tolerate this.

• Like 1

Well after being interrupted by a viewing of Blazing Saddles, I finally finished reading this so...

Marked Up Time

This was a fun, if admittedly uneven, romp. The characters interactions are pretty fun, the acting is decent, the chase scenes are pretty entertaining and the humor very on-point. There are a few things that hold it back from being great though. One being that some of the casting choices are extremely weird. I really can't buy the idea of Adam Driver being the son of Lucas Hedges. That and the role of Zendaya's character probably would've been more believable if played by an older actress. Second, some of the travel stuff is a little jarring and confusing to follow at points. It wasn't too terribly bad but it did hold it back from being great in my eyes. By the end of the film, it just got a little too out there for me to really buy into it.

Overall, despite some clunkier narrative elements, this was a very fun flick that I found quite a lot of enjoyment out of. Not Lord/Miller's best work but they managed to make a pretty entertaining romp.

6.5/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1