Rorschach

Rorschach Reviews Y4: Now with 100% More Hot Takes

March (not including Pillars of Eternity barring time constraints)

Khanh Bernarda Alba

To be honest, I'd wanna die too.

4/10

Spirit Curse

I thought Countdown to Extinction wasn't coming out this year?

3/10

Carnosaur

If this movie were a BOT face, it would be: :sparta:

6/10

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll be reading stuff in-between studying for mid-terms this weekend. I'll definitely be doing a review for Mass Effect sometime today and potentially do PoE if I have the time (that film will be getting a big review too even though it wasn't requested).

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 2

Apologies. I read this last night and meant to review it but I got caught up in some other stuff that kept me from posting. Anyways...

Mass Effect

I've never played the games before but from the very little I've seen of one of my close friends play, they seem like very well-crafted games.

This film is very well-done too. It's a fairly breezy action film with a lot of cool set pieces and a very interesting world on display. The film is fairly well-paced and while some of it does feel like it could've been a bit more streamlined, its still a very engaging ride. 

One aspect of the film I was a little disappointed in were the characters. None of the actors give bad performances but it doesn't negate the fact that most of the characters featured aren't really all that memorable. Outside of Shepard and Banes, I didn't find that many compelling characters to get myself invested in. They aren't terrible by any means but they didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Still, this is a very competently made film and easily one of the better video game adaptations out there. I'm very much looking forward to the future sequels as I'm sure they'll get more and more focused in.

8/10

• Like 2

April

Broadway Selects: SpongeBob Squarepants

9RD4eA.gif

7/10

Safari Trail

Cute animals + Nick Fury narrating = Good experience.

6/10

Earth Day

Basically The Happening... with gore.

:Venom:

3/10

Our City: Growth

Yeah this isn't as good as the first film.

5/10

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Treasure Planet: Gauntlet of Midas

source.gif

While I thought the firs Treasure Planet was fine, it definitely didn't take any chance when it came to differentiating itself from the original. Which is fine, the original is a good movie but it kinda renders an adaptation of it pointless if you aren't gonna do anything different. Thankfully, now that there's a sequel, there's a ton of new content to chew on. Is it any good? Well... yes and no.

Let's start with the good stuff. The world's on display in this film are incredible, just as they were in the first film (I mean it won the Oscar for VFX so obviously the sequel would amp this area up), the action scenes are fairly entertaining, and the actors all around give pretty good performances. Josh Brolin remains a stand-out as John Silver and Tom Hardy's villain has a very unique design to him that makes him stand out (sort of).

The stuff that brings this film down for me a little is probably the most important part if it: the story. The overall plot line feels very derivative of other mainstream blockbusters that have come before it. It feels very much like a first draft (I can't really fault anyone for this because the story was obviously inspired by the originally planned Treasure Planet 2 that never happened because the first film bombed) and feels like it needed another rewrite or two. The newer characters don't really leave much of an impression. Kate is an okay co-lead I suppose but I couldn't really get into the relationship between her and Jim. Ironbeard, while he admittedly have a very cool design, is a very boring villain that I couldn't really get involved in. Overall, most of the new characters I found to range from okay to just uninteresting.

There are a lot of really cool things about this movie that I enjoyed a lot and it was definitely nice to see the filmmakers branch out and do something new after the beat-for-beat remake. However, narratively, it just didn't do it for me the way I was hoping.

6/10

• Like 2

A Month at Belmont Lane

I enjoy me some Wes Anderson and this was a very enjoyable film. Although I wouldn't say its among his best work, needless to say I was consistently entertained throughout. It starts off rather okay but gets better and better as it goes along. The last half of the film is easily the best part. The climax not only had me laughing my ass off but it actually had a surprising message to it, something that a lot of comedies nowadays would tend to force down the audience's throat or just not try at all. Thankfully, the ending here managed to be worthwhile and defied my own expectations.

Overall, this was a pretty entertaining effort. Can't wait til next year when I get my turn at directing an Anderson project...

a-trip-to-the-moon.jpg

8/10

• Like 3

Since the deadline for the second half of the year is tonight, I'm opening up requests for the second half of the year. Same rules apply: one film from you, one film from another user.

Of course, I need to finish reading the first half of the year which is what I'll be doing tomorrow. 

Also, @Spagheditary @Blankments no need to request Jonny Jonny. I will be reviewing that film first. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

Since the deadline for the second half of the year is tonight, I'm opening up requests for the second half of the year. Same rules apply: one film from you, one film from another user.

Of course, I need to finish reading the first half of the year which is what I'll be doing tomorrow. 

Also, @Spagheditary @Blankments no need to request Jonny Jonny. I will be reviewing that film first. 

Kingdom of The Sun (if any one is screwing me it is me)

Sir Thymes Time

• Like 2