chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

Here be dragons.

...and monkeys, and the odd panda, maybe a chicken or the odd pet. We shall find out soon. This is the second time I have done a countdown of the top 100 animated films and with over double the votes of the previous incarnation, and many new great films to boot, it will be interesting to see how this ends. 

You have been warned. The wait is nearly over. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

So here we are, the top 100 countdown begins. 

40 lists were counted,

353 films were chosen.

100 made the list, but who came where?

I will make it clear in this opening post that this countdown will be personal opinion happy. As opposed to copy and pasting info from Wikipedia, or god forbid knowing something about a film, the written parts of each post will be mostly subjective. 

With that in mind you are free to agree / disagree as you please. I may question why something is so loved/unloved. I may claim something to be dull when most think it isn't. Or that something is hilarious when nobody else agrees.

You are free to say all the bad things you want to about my taste, just don't be mean about me personally, I don't want to spend valuable reveal time sobbing in a corner. 

I may also from time to time highlight a film that didn't make the list and rant/theorise why it should or should not have done so.

With that all said, let me start putting together the post for 100th place that I will haphazardly copy/paste for half of the rest of the list as a template and thus inevitably write down the wrong position /score somewhere....

• Like 7

100th - Kung Fu Panda 3: 8 Votes, 1 top 10, 132 points

Previous List - 84th

As I am the hero that gave this a top 10 placing, you can already guess my feelings on this placement. 

The Kung Fu Panda series is one that I spent about 3 years or so ignoring because there was no way that a film called Kung Fu Panda was going to be anything other than rubbish and it had a pretty horrible trailer (It was a stance I have held for multiple Dreamworks films before and since and it keeps being the wrong stance to have). Then I was on a 12 hour plane journey with 4 hours of the return leg left and nothing left to watch. So I decided to watch Kung Fu Panda because why not. 

And that began my foray into what is currently in my opinion the best animated trilogy of all time. The film are beautiful, the voice work top notch, and there is a character growth that progresses from film to film. Each film has a new journey for Po to go on and they are just in my opinion beautiful to watch. I'm happy it made the list, but I wish more people agreed. 

• Like 10

99th - When Marnie Was There: 9 Votes, 0 top 10, 139 points

Previous List - 81st

And as this film was 12th on my list, well there will clearly be some things I consider on the high side at the business end of this list. 

Studio Ghibli has a long history of creating beloved films that fans of Japanese and not so Japanese films all seem to come together on. Their style is undeniably beautiful and it is a shame we aren't getting feature films from them anymore. What is even more tragic is how overlooked their final (or was it co-final) release seems to have been. 

Now when it comes to the Ghibli brand, there are 'classics' that I fully agree with the love they receive and there are 'classics' that I absolutely don'y understand the love. I will get to all those later. As for Marnie, in my opinion this is the second best animation Studio Ghibli ever produced and one of only two Japanese animated films to bring me to tears.

The story of this film is both touching and heart wrenching, and if you ever watch it, I truly recommend watching it for a second time as soon after the first as you can bring yourself, as rewatching the story with all the information you now know, it's.... well it's a level of emotion only about 3 films on this list can rival.

And that brings me to wonder, did this only get 9 votes because people have not seen it, or because it did not resonate with them like it did with me? 

I know there are a lot of foreign animations out there that suffer on these lists due to lack of exposure or viewers, there are 5 films that I have not seen that missed the list by the equivalent of me ranking them 80th or so and a couple more that would have made the list if I ranked them top 20 or 30. Hell if it turns out one day that Triplets of Belleville is my favourite animation of all time, but I just haven't seen it, then that would have crept in at 100th instead of 138th, so I am far from blameless on this front.   

• Like 11
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

98th - The Sword in the Stone: 12 Votes, 0 top 10, 139 points

Previous List - 92nd

And my personal list is still 3 for 3. Although this was was further down in like the 60s so I am less bothered about its placing than the previous two.

This film comes from an era that seems to fall awkwardly in that period between Golden Age and Dark Age Disney where there are a bunch of British folklore stories turned into Disney animations. Sword in the stone is a really fun retelling of the Arthurian legend and depending on how Python comedy sits with you, this may be the best theatrical Arthurian tale to date. 

This film is colourful, the animal transformation stuff is pretty funny (and the girl squirrel above may have confused the old 10 year old growing up...), and I think it is well worth tracking down if you never saw it. 

• Like 9
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

97th - The Rescuers: 10 Votes, 0 top 10, 140 points

Previous List - 116th

The first Disney animation to contain frontal nudity :)

The Rescuers is one of those Disney films that I know I have watched, in fact I know I have watched it like 12 times, but the last time may have been in 1991 or something, so I do not remember a lot. Watching the clips back I can see the charm in it that I liked as a kid, but I also here the voice acting and wander if maybe there have been better voiceworks in animated film. (I also remember preferring the Australia one more.)

This is also the first film to increase from the year before which surprises me a little. It also beats its sequel that ended up in 112th. It also means that I am 4 for 4 as this crept onto my list for nostalgia's sake. (A vote that knocked a beloved Don Bluth film into 101st).

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

96th - Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs: 12 Votes, 0 top 10, 143 points

Previous List - Outside top 67th

One of the more fun, nothing animations out there. 

I like the Cloudy films (so yep I am 5 for 5), I like them to the point that I was one of the two people to give votes to the sequel (if for nothing else, the amazing vegetable puns) which ended up in 243rd. There was a time when outside of Disney and the odd Don Bluth film, you would be delighted if anybody else was making a film of the quality of this let alone a what is maybe the 3rd or 4th tier of US mainstream animation right now. It's fun, and stuff like this and Rio do fun well. 

• Like 8