chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

24th - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 24 Votes, 1 First, 1 top 10  417 points

Previous List - 35th

When so many golden age Disney films have seen some sharp drops, the original shows a strong increase.

This is one of those films that is hard to argue against its placement even if you hate it. It is a trailblazer and to think that it is approaching 100 years old and can still captivate young kids of today is crazy. It is also the highest finish for a title Disney Princess as Cinderella and Pocahontas failed to make the top 100 entirely and others are not mentioned in their films' titles. 

This film is not one I will rewatch 100 times, it isn't really for me. But it is a film I respect immensely and it deserves it high placement.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

I will say that I have been deliberately slow in this reveal to allow discussion of every film on the list and perhaps even get some people inspired to watch new installments. 

That said, we are in the home stretch and I hopefully will follow the following schedule for the rest of the countdown:

(All times based on it being Monday Night where I am right now)

23rd-17th - Tuesday night

16th-9th - Thursday Night

8th-1st Friday Night

• Like 5

The Nightmare Before Christmas was a big disapointment. The animation may brebrautiful but it was dull and all over the place. 

Lili and Stitch is a childhood fanourite of mine I LOVE it.

WIR is also pretty good. Maybe not Coco or Inside Out or Moana type of good but still such a cute film you must have a heart of stone to dislike it.

22 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

24th - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 24 Votes, 1 First, 1 top 10  417 points

Previous List - 35th

When so many golden age Disney films have seen some sharp drops, the original shows a strong increase.

This is one of those films that is hard to argue against its placement even if you hate it. It is a trailblazer and to think that it is approaching 100 years old and can still captivate young kids of today is crazy. It is also the highest finish for a title Disney Princess as Cinderella and Pocahontas failed to make the top 100 entirely and others are not mentioned in their films' titles. 

This film is not one I will rewatch 100 times, it isn't really for me. But it is a film I respect immensely and it deserves it high placement.

Really? It seems pretty easy to me. When we do the top 100 for all movies we never include the Jazz Singer for being the first talkie, we don't include the first feature film, and we don't include the first colour film, and with good reason. Those films were all very influential, but that doesn't mean that they are any good. The same should apply to Snow White, if there are 100 better animations then it shouldn't be on this list.

Because while I Appreciate Snow White for its how it changed the industry, as a film it is complete trash. There is barely any story and the whole thing feels like they originally made a 15 minute short and then found out after finishing that it would be a feature length film and they had to add an hour of filler. Most of the film is just talking and singing about cooking and cleaning, and Snow White herself does almost nothing all film. Getting through this film was an excruciatingly boring experience.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 2

18 hours ago, chasmmi said:

26th - Akira: 16 Votes, 1 First, 3 Top 5, 1 top 10  411 points

Previous List - 53rd

Pretty much the only thing I know about Akira is that the bike is in Ready Player One.

YEp this is the final film on the list that I have not seen and you do not win a cookie for guessing beforehand where it was from. This film has had a dramatic rise since the last list, one of the biggest anywhere on the list in fact. It is also the penultimate film on the list to receive less than 20 votes and as such must be very high on the average points per vote table. 

It is also the first film to receive 4 top 5 votes, and only two over films outside the top 15 will equal or surpass this acheivement. I suppose the one question I have to those fans is, has it aged well enough for new viewers to enjoy it, or will it feel dated in the same way that watching the Original Halloween these days is pretty dull as everything it innovated has been done to death since its release and done in shinier flashier colours to boot.

Akira is still very much worth watching. In terms of films done without computer aid, it's among the most technically impressive made, up there with Pinocchio and The Thief and the Cobbler. It was a huge production, and I believe they had to keep pulling in more animators around Tokyo to help complete it because it was so involved. Like at one point, basically every studio that wasn't Ghibli was probably doing something for Akira.

And the music is just amazing. Legit one of the best movie soundtracks ever made.

Plus... PLUS! a plot point is about the Olympics that happened in Tokyo... in 2020, which is an awesome bit of prescience by Otomo. I'm going to be disappointed if the Olympic Stadium doesn't look right.

• Like 1

23rd - Frozen: 24 Votes, 1 First, 1 top 5, 1 top 10  446 points

Previous List - 17th

This is first top 20 film from the last list to appear. 

Frozen fever was quite the thing in Korea (Let it Go is still a top 2 English language song choice in Karaoke here), I mean it was everywhere, and when you teach small children I think that you hear it more than even those that have small children. 

So I did have a bit of a rebellion to the film for a while, but I am over that now and on reflection I see this as the great DIsney return to form that I thought it was when I first saw it in cinema (even though that return to form was actually Tangled, this just cemented it.). 

• Like 11

22nd - The Iron Giant: 24 Votes, 2 top 5, 4 top 10  472 points

Previous List - 25th

To more than a few, this is still seen as Vin Diesel's finest role. I prefer his other vocab challenged voice role to be honest. 

I also only saw this for the first time about 5 years ago and it was... good. Like in the general realms of films, it is very good. In the scope of best animated films ever, it doesn't quite rack up as high for me as it does for many others. It's more of a top 65 film for me than top 20. 

It is still what will prove to be a rarer and rarer instance of a film making this list that has zero connections whatsoever to a particular mouse-based brand. 

• Like 11

21st - Pinocchio: 20 Votes, 1 First, 2 top 5, 3 top 10  499 points

Previous List - 18th

It just slips out of the top 20, but this is still by far the highest finishing pre-1985 film. 

This also shows that the points totals are ramping up fast. 82 points have separated Pinocchio with Snow White in 24th, whereas 82 points below Snow White would drop you way down to 38th place. 

Pinocchio was a film that slightly frightened me as a child. Not to the level that that Bambi scene did, but the Whale and Jackass stuff was all a little heavy to deal with when you are 6. It is possibly the pure story that has aged the best out of the opening 12 or 15 Disney animations, although a few other commentors will have a stronger opinion on that than I do. 

I see Pinocchio as one of those classics that I look forward to showing to a child of some description in the future, but it isn't exactly upper echelon stuff for my personal list.  

• Like 12

20th - The Lego Movie: 27 Votes, 2 top 5, 2 top 10  504 points

Previous List - 20th

For the second list running, this film sneaks right in at the bottom of the top 20. 

And almost everything about it is indeed awesome. The Lego Movie will forever be the qualifier for shit sounding cash in ideas for films. If Lionsgate announce a Pacman film, We'll think it is destined to be shit, but then again who would have thought a film called The Lego Movie could be any good? What? They are trying to make a Playdo universe? Well if they can do for Lego...

I hope it will continue to be remembered as a good film though. It deserves more than to just be the go to example for film that is not as shit as it was expected to be. It is funny, silly, and even has a really good resolution by the end of things. 

• Like 9

19th - How To Train Your Dragon: 28 Votes, 1 top 5, 3 top 10  523 points

Previous List - 12th

Everything I said about Kung Fu Panda from refusing to watch it as the title was stupid, to realising I was completely wrong in all my assumptions, also applies to the Dragon franchise. 

Don't get me wrong, my flag still flies in KFP's corner. Well I have to it is part of a trilogy even better than Toy Story's :), but if HTTYD3 is anywhere near as good as the first two, then this may become the second best animated trilogy of all time. 

It has taken a bit of a fall since the last list and while that is a slight shame, I lament the drop more because it means that there are zero Dreamworks films in the top 18 and that is a shame. Whether you are team Shrek, Team Panda, Team Dragon, or Team ummm Boss Baby, I feel that most would agree that something from this studio should have finished closer to the top 10. 

Oh, and a final note on Dragon, the relationship between Toothless and Hiccup is one of the best in animation and the way they connect the two by the end of the film is so very well done and one of many examples of why Dreamworks really should have become the third mainstay of US animation along with the two Mouse brands.  

• Like 9

18th - Monsters, Inc.: 30 Votes, 1 top 5, 2 top 10  552 points

Previous List - 19th

The Ultimate film that everyone likes and nobody loves it seems. 

30 votes, only 3 in the top 10, but still safe in the top 20. And I feel like this is a film that has ultimately (And repeatedly) ended up too high because of its consistent support from many quadrants. Those 30 votes of about 40th place each, all add up to send it sailing past those cult classics and older favourites that only received 20 votes instead. 

I like Monsters, Inc. It's a good, solid, funny film that proved that Pixar could achieve more than just Toy Stories. However, I also feel that it pales in comparison to other Pixar classics, and its place in the top 20 may well have been more suited to something a little more niche but with strong love from its followers.

• Like 10

Pinocchio is somewhat higher than I think it deserves but it's a still a good movie, which makes it massively superior to the animations of its time. It actually has a proper plot and isn't padded with lots of filler.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:47 PM, chasmmi said:

81st - Wolf Children: Yuke and Ame: 6 Votes, 1 First, 1 top 5  165 points

Previous List - 125 

The last time in about 10 entries I have to find a way of explaining why or how I never watched a film. 

This is probably in the top 5 in the whole list on the points per vote scale. Scoring more points with 6 votes than all but two films have required at least 12 votes to reach. It is testament that this sits highest among the high in that pantheon of unwatched Japanese fare. 

Looking at the directors filmography and cross referencing it with my master list, I wonder if it is at all either fair or accurate to suggest that Mamoru Hosoda may be the heir to the non-Ghibli throne of Japanese animation once the property of Satoshi? 

Boy and the Beast, Summer Wars, and Girl who leapt through time all received 5-7 votes each and each placed in the 106th-159th are of the list. They seem to be building up a fan base that may one day rival the earlier greats (hell, somebody still needs to replace Ghibli as the go to gateway studio for those of us not versed in the deeper anime scene).

I know I'm several weeks late on this one, but yaaaaaas, Wolf Children made it!

Admittedly, it's a little bit of a downer that the one animated movie I put in first place also happened to apparently be the lowest ranking animated film with a first place rating to make the list, but fuck it I will take what little I can get.

Maybe Mirai of the Future will be that film in a future list...  

I sure hope so. I actually saw it about a week and half ago at a Glasgow anime festival and it was really great. I wrote up a spoiler-free review on my site, for anyone interested in learning more, but I'd definitely recommend it for anyone who gets the chance. 

• Like 3

The list so far:

100 Kung Fu Panda 3
99 When Marnie Was There
98 The Sword In The Stone
97 The Rescuers
96 Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
95 Song Of The Sea
94 Watership Down
93 Anastasia
92 The Fox And The Hound
91 Millenium Actress
90 Tokyo Godfathers
89 Cars
88 Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm
87 Treasure Planet
86 Brave
85 The Tale Of Princess Kaguya
84 Paprika
83 Alice In Wonderland
82 The Simpsons
81 Wolf Children
80 Basil, The Great Mouse Detective
79 The Princess And The Frog
78 Lady And The Tramp
77 Despicable Me
76 The Curse Of The Wererabbit
75 Peter Pan
74 Ice Age
73 The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh
72 Finding Dory
71 Whisper Of The Heart
70 The Wind Rises
69 Team America: World Police
68 Sleeping Beauty
67 Persepolis
66 Dumbo
65 Rango
64 Robin Hood
63 A Bug's Life
62 Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind
61 Castle In The Sky
60 Ponyo
59 Tarzan
58 Kiki's Delivery Service
57 The Land Before Time
56 Hercules
55 Bambi
54 The Secret Of NIMH
53 Kung Fu Panda 2
52 Chicken Run
51 Ghost In The Shell
50 Kubo And The Two Strings
49 Fantastic Mr. Fox
48 101 Dalmations
47 Big Hero 6
46 The Emperor's New Groove
45 Shrek 2
44 South Park
43 Coraline
42 Hunchback Of Notre Dame
41 How To Train Your Dragon 2
40 Your Name
39 The Jungle Book
38 Fantasia
37 Tangled
36 My Neighbor Totoro
35 Howl's Moving Castle
34 The Prince Of Egypt
33 The Little Mermaid
32 Moana
31 Mulan
30 Kung Fu Panda
29 Lilo And Stitch
28 Shrek
27 Wreck It Ralph
26 Akira
25 A Nightmare Before Christmas
24 Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
23 Frozen
22 The Iron Giant
21 Pinocchio
20 The Lego Movie
19 How To Train Your Dragon
18 Monsters Inc.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, ElastiRoc said:

Seven of my top ten have been named already, including my top three.

Three of my top ten have been named thus far. Which, y'know, feels more or less par for the course with my luck on these lists.

(Although, to be fair, I'm 99% certain that at least another three are going to make an appearance before the list is done.)

Anyway, since we've now entered the predictable and Disney/Pixar-saturated stage of this list, here's what, in no particular order, I'm expecting the Top 17 to be.

Spoiler

Beauty and the Beast

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

The Lion King 

Toy Story

Toy Story 2

Toy Story 3

Inside Out

Coco

WALL-E

Up