chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

On 9/28/2018 at 7:15 AM, Slambros said:

So far, so very good! Every film on the list so far deserves to be there. I think I underrated When Marnie Was There in retrospect, but I'm extremely happy that it made the list anyway!

Be warned though, sometimes if a list starts strongly, it is because the truly shit stuff ended up doing really really well...

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 7:12 AM, 4815162342 said:

Too low!

Wut

WUT

:ohmyzod::sarah::kitschjob:

Half way through tallying the countdown I was really happy at seeing three films that I liked sitting happily in the 60s and 70s. 

By the end I was relieved that 2 of them even hung on as they ended up 99th, 100th and 101st. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, chasmmi said:

95th - Song of the Sea: 9 Votes, 1 top 10, 146 points

Previous List - 76th

I'm no longer batting 100%

The only reason I know of this film is because it performed strongly last time around and even though it has fallen a few places, it still makes the top 100. I do not even know if the film is Irish made or just Irish set without looking it up. (Looking it up, it appears to be an Irish studio but with some collaboration with other European animation houses in places). 

Making judgement purely on the clip above, it certainly isn't a mega-budget film from an animation perspective, but also simpler can also serve the right purpose in the right circumstances. The vocal work sounds charming enough and it was on my shortlist (well 16 film list) of films in the top 100 I personally have not seen and thus will try to watch before they pop up in the list. But it appeared a little to early for me to manage it. (One or two more may suffer this same fate if I carry on long enough in this stint).

So I ask the 9 people that voted for it, why should one watch this film? For its charm? its music? the story? to laugh? to cry? What is the draw? 

The movie is visually stunning with endlessly inventive animation.  It's sometimes funny but mostly a very moving family drama that's also about heritage and culture as it's set among the magic of Irish mythology.

A much deserved Best Animated Film nomination and along with Princess Kaguya the best of the year (animated or otherwise)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chasmmi said:

95th - Song of the Sea: 9 Votes, 1 top 10, 146 points

Previous List - 76th

I'm no longer batting 100%

The only reason I know of this film is because it performed strongly last time around and even though it has fallen a few places, it still makes the top 100. I do not even know if the film is Irish made or just Irish set without looking it up. (Looking it up, it appears to be an Irish studio but with some collaboration with other European animation houses in places). 

Making judgement purely on the clip above, it certainly isn't a mega-budget film from an animation perspective, but also simpler can also serve the right purpose in the right circumstances. The vocal work sounds charming enough and it was on my shortlist (well 16 film list) of films in the top 100 I personally have not seen and thus will try to watch before they pop up in the list. But it appeared a little to early for me to manage it. (One or two more may suffer this same fate if I carry on long enough in this stint).

So I ask the 9 people that voted for it, why should one watch this film? For its charm? its music? the story? to laugh? to cry? What is the draw? 

Criminally underrated movie. You should watch it for literally all of these reasons you stated and more. It's simply one of the most stunning animated films I've ever seen.

• Like 1

I personally find Song of the Sea to be Cartoon Saloon's strongest and most cohesive film. Both The Secret of Kells and The Breadwinner felt a little...incomplete and watered-down to me. Just like Laika, Cartoon Saloon is not the most consistent animation studio, but God do I appreciate what they're each doing.

Edited by lolifofo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, lolifofo said:

I personally find Song of the Sea to be Cartoon Saloon's strongest and most cohesive film. Both The Secret of Kells and The Breadwinner felt a little...incomplete and watered-down to me. 

The Secret of Kells is narrated like a fable so in that context, the structure felt complete to me. The Breadwinner shows a woman being mercilessly beaten by the Taliban in front of her young daughter, and a teen militant trying to shoot down two little girls... so um, "watered-down" is not the word I would use for the film.

Haven't seen Song of the Sea so can't comment, but I guess this means this it's the only Cartoon Saloon film in the Top 100? Which is sad.  

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The Secret of Kells is narrated like a fable so in that context, the structure felt complete to me. The Breadwinner shows a woman being mercilessly beaten by the Taliban in front of her young daughter, and a teen militant trying to shoot down two little girls... so um, "watered-down" is not the word I would use for the film.

Haven't seen Song of the Sea so can't comment, but I guess this means this it's the only Cartoon Saloon film in the Top 100? Which is sad.  

My biggest (and perhaps only) problem with The Secret of the Kells is its weak ending. The movie ended so abruptly that it left a bad taste in my mouth despite how gorgeous it is.

As for The Breadwinner, I suppose it’s not watered-down relative to most animated movies, but having read the book and seen a live-action adaptation of the story, this version just didn’t do it for me and wasn’t nearly as impactful. I might have liked it otherwise.

You should really see Song of the Sea though. You might agree that it’s by far their best work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Slambros said:

Would you like to know how close I was to watching Song of the Sea? I found it on Amazon Prime and subsequently placed it onto my watchlist. The next thing I know, I go to try and watch it, and it's gone. 😐

Lol that's actually kinda similar to my experience with Secret of Kells. Was in my friend's house in 2010 and he started playing it. Unfortunately, I had to leave almost immediately.

Finally got around to watching it early last year, nearly 7 years after I almost got to watch it. :P [/cool story bro]

• Like 1

90th - Tokyo Godfathers: 9 Votes, 1 top 10  150 points

Previous List - 112th

And like London buses, here is another Satoshi film right after the last

And surprise, surprise, I am sorry to say I haven't seen this one either. What I can deduce from the voting is that this is a slightly more well known film, seen and voted for by more people, but not loved to the extreme extent that Millennium Actress is. 

I would say that purely from the 1 or 2 minutes of each film I have seen in their respective excerpts, I personally think that Actress appears the more accessible and enjoyable watch, but that is a total uninformed opinion based on two scenes. I really do apologise to fans of these films that I cannot say more, but I am pretty sure that most people that have seen them will already know whatever blurb I post from the internet, and to the people that haven't, well the voters can probably give a better reason for you to try it, than Wikipedia can. 

Besides, aren't my two paragraphs of nothing, far more entertaining to read than actual informed content would have been :)

• Like 6
  • Astonished 2

89th - Cars: 12 Votes, 0 top 10  151 points

Previous List - 127th

You know, this film is better than a lot of people think it is, but also not as good as this list seems to think it is.

Well that is my opinion anyway. I think, if Cars had been made by a Sony or Universal, it would be viewed much more favourably that it is (and if the sequel hadn't been, well, less than good also). The first Cars has a nice message and some touching moments, and there are some moments of Pixar brilliance sprinkled among the tractor tipping. 

I was also happy that enough people saw and liked Cars 3 enough to get it above Cars 2 (217th vs 232nd), but it is a franchise that unfortunately will be remembered more for how it sold so many lunchboxes, than due to its quality. Which is kind of a shame, as this first film at least deserves more than that. It is not an all time classic. But it deserves more than that.

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 4