chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

54th - The Secret of N.I.M.H: 14 Votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10,  241 points

Previous List - 70th

And here we have the most traumatising animation of my childhood...

I feel that we have failed as a forum to some extent when Don Bluth has nothing in the top 50 (I think even if you included the Disney films that he worked on, this is the highest finisher.). 

The guy was the closest thing America had to a Miyazaki (in the sense that his films almost became a genre in themselves as opposed to just part of the studio that he worked for. not the tone or style), and I feel like whatever film was chosen to be his best, should have perhaps threatened the top 20. 

Maybe this is what happens when your audience is split 4 or five ways over what is the best, it can hurt every film to a degree. But Yes, this placement also confirms that that film which was pushed to 101st place was An American Tale. All Dogs go to Heaven finished in 134th, Thumbelina and Titan A.E both only received 1 point in total (Crazy considering the Latter placed 140th in the previous list so who knows what happened to cause that drop,)

N.I.M.H is a masterpiece though (Which 96% of the films left to go also probably are. It is dark, but also full of hope and defeating of the odds. It is a must watch for any fan of animation.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

53rd - Kung Fu Panda 2: 15 Votes, 1 top 10,  242 points

Previous List - 44th

The moment that Po finds Inner Peace is one of the best scenes of animation in the 21st century.

But this is coming with a person that would not scream if this film made the top 10, I rate the series that much. This film is an improvement on the original in my opinion and does something that sequels almost never manage to do, and they expand and develop the characters and story from the original. 

These films are also among the most beautiful that CGI animation has ever managed and you can fight me on that. (But please don't, I am weak willed and will cave far too easily on my stance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52nd - Chicken Run: 15 Votes, 2 top 5,  249 points

Previous List - 71st

This was a really cool film when it came out.

And wasn't this the first ever feature length claymation film? Or only first for Aardman? 

This was a fun animated take on The Great Escape in the same way that Bug's Life Riffed on Seven Samurai (Yeah I feel like the quality and style of those two films are pretty level, and that doesn't mean that this one is too high). 

This film is a great achievement both in story and in execution.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

And wasn't this the first ever feature length claymation film? Or only first for Aardman?

I think The Nightmare Before Christmas came out a year before, but Chicken Run is definitely the first Aardman.

Edited by Slambros

51st - Ghost in the Shell: 14 Votes, 1 top 5, 3 Top 10  252 points

Previous List - 100th

Apologies if the scene above is not from the film, because well... you know why.

Ghost in the Shell sits alongside another film of prominence as the adult animated films we are all supposed to have watched and revere even if we eschew the more child friendly fare of Ghibli and the like. 

It was for a long time a film that semed most primed for a Western remake and to possibly bring the world of Japanese anime into mainstream Live Action Hollywood. Unfortunately, that live action film was the worst film of 2017 and thus may have killed the revolution before it began. 

The film has risen 30 places since the last list and that shows the fandom for the original is still as strong as ever.  

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

50th - Kubo and the Two Strings: 17 Votes, 1 top 10  253 points

Previous List - 107th

This was the first time that I ever watched stop motion and truly thought it could rival drawn/CG animation. 

Not that I did think there were some great stop motion films before this one. Just that I tended to like the films in spite of the animation style, not because of it. This film changed me in that respect as it is gorgeous (maybe the hybridisation with CGI is what was missing for my tastes).

In addition to the visuals though, this film is just a great film full stop. It has an engaging story, great voice acting, and an ending that I really thought was a really good way to end the story, even if some may disagree. 

I am really happy to see this film receiving more love year on year, and it will quell a little of my sadness that a few of my other favourites missed the list completely.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I will do a few more in a few hours. 

But as we hit the top 50, I will say that there are only two films left to report that I have not seen.

There are however 5 entries that for my personal taste, believe should be nowhere near the top 50, I wonder how that number fares for others. 

• Like 1

49th - Fantastic Mr. Fox: 14 Votes, 1 Top 5, 1 Top 10  259 points

Previous List - 43rd

And onto an animation completely on the other end of the quality scale in my eyes.

I know there is a strong following of this film and I shall respect that opinion as I am not the centre of the universe (Even though I believe mathematically, I may actually be the centre of my universe...). 

I will say that with me, it is mostly a case of disliking the Director's style pretty much all the time. I thought Isle of Dogs was actually okay if a bit weird, but outside of that, I genuinely have just never clicked with his work and Fantastic Mr. Fox was the lowest of the lot. I really disliked Clooney as a Voice Artist in this, and the slow stunted dialogue just never worked for me. 

However, there are at least 14 people who disagree with me and so I will leave the floor to them to explain the many reasons why I am wrong. 

• Like 7

48th - 101 Dalmations: 16 Votes, 1 Top 5, 1 Top 10  263 points

Previous List - 34th

A canine based film I do like now :)

101 Dalmations was the other film that I have probably watched over 50 times before I hit 11 years old. As a big fan of dogs, animation and Disney, this had all the things I needed to be a massive fan of a film.

Cruella De Vil is one of Disney's best villains, especially out of the simple non-magical human ones. She is just an evil woman and what is worse than wanting to skin a bunch of puppies?

• Like 8

47th - Big Hero 6: 18 Votes,  269 points

Previous List - 37th

And Disney Doubles up with a modern classic...

I unabashedly love this film. I think it is the 2nd best Disney animation since the resurgence in 2010. Baymax is a total joy (Although embarassingly, when I first heard of people referring to Baymax I thought they were talking about some sort of Michael Bay inspired Imax screen or something).

Big Hero 6, has a lot of heart, a lot of colour and there is so much naive comedy and loveliness in this film. I really hope that we get a proper sequel some day.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

46th - The Emperor's New Groove: 19 Votes, 1 Top 10 269 points

Previous List - 42nd

Hat Trick for Disney 

And we move onto the funniest Disney film of all time. Possibly the most underated Disney film of all time, and my own person number 5 placed Disney animation. I remember seeing the trailers for this when they were first advertised and thinking that it looked stupid. I had no intention of watching it, and I never did watch it until 2014. 

And what do you know, this turned out to be the meta'breaking piece of nonsense that was probably 10 years ahead of its time in retrospect. A film that was a total mess in production, changed tone and story multiple times before striking gold with the llama concept and the gloriousness that is Kronk, 

Also, John Goodman is a god damn treasure. 

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, chasmmi said:

46th - The Emperor's New Groove: 19 Votes, 1 Top 10 269 points

Previous List - 42nd

Hat Trick for Disney 

And we move onto the funniest Disney film of all time. Possibly the most underated Disney film of all time, and my own person number 5 placed Disney animation. I remember seeing the trailers for this when they were first advertised and thinking that it looked stupid. I had no intention of watching it, and I never did watch it until 2014. 

And what do you know, this turned out to be the meta'breaking piece of nonsense that was probably 10 years ahead of its time in retrospect. A film that was a total mess in production, changed tone and story multiple times before striking gold with the llama concept and the gloriousness that is Kronk, 

Also, John Goodman is a god damn treasure. 

saw that badboy in Cinema

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chasmmi said:

49th - Fantastic Mr. Fox: 14 Votes, 1 Top 5, 1 Top 10  259 points

I will say that with me, it is mostly a case of disliking the Director's style pretty much all the time. I thought Isle of Dogs was actually okay if a bit weird, but outside of that, I genuinely have just never clicked with his work and Fantastic Mr. Fox was the lowest of the lot. I really disliked Clooney as a Voice Artist in this, and the slow stunted dialogue just never worked for me. 

However, there are at least 14 people who disagree with me and so I will leave the floor to them to explain the many reasons why I am wrong. 

You are definitely wrong about this, Fantastic Mr. Fox is funny, has a good story, and is just told in an entertaining fashion.

Although I do agree that Isle Of Dogs is better, and if it were eligible it would have made my top 10.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chasmmi said:

I feel that we have failed as a forum to some extent when Don Bluth has nothing in the top 50 (I think even if you included the Disney films that he worked on, this is the highest finisher.). 

that film which was pushed to 101st place was An American Tale. All Dogs go to Heaven finished in 134th,

justin-theroux-as-kevin-garvey-the-lefto

• Haha 1

45th - Shrek 2: 17 Votes, 273 points

Previous List - 38th

I still consider this the best Shrek Film, but for the second list running, the populace disagrees.

I will Whisper it quietly, but I actually believe that Dreamworks make consistently better animated sequels than any other studio. If you compare Shrek 2, Panda 2, Dragon 2, Madagascar 2 to Toy Story 2, Monsters Uni, Finding Dory, Cars 2, and Incredibles 2. Two of my top 3 are Dreamworks and 3 of my top 5 are still Dreamworks. 

Shrek 2 began this streak with a film that was able to be funny, introduce new major characters that were equals to the original cast, and created a different story to the original. 

It's a great film that sadly marked the peak of a franchise that saw an awful third installment and finally a (actually pretty decent to be fair) 4th film. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

44th - South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut: 16 Votes, 1 Top 5, 2 Top 10 277 points

Previous List - 31st

I'm really sad to see this drop. This is a top 5 film for me. 

South Park is a show that still goes strong to this day and even though it is no longer at its peak, it is still decent. This film however, may be the highest peak South park ever reached. It has amazing songs, a silly story, funny jokes and just generally wonderful hilarity. 

I would love to see Matt and Trey flirt with a second film to finish off the show whenever it happens to end.

• Like 6

43rd - Coraline: 18 Votes, 1 Top 5, 278 points

Previous List - 48th

The penultimate film on the list I have not seen.

Yep, not something random from Japan, i reasonably widely known animated film. This is one of 4 films that I tend to associate with Tim Burton without ever really bothering to double check if they are actually Burton stories (along with Frankenweenie, Nightmare before Xmas and Corpse Bride - the only one of which I have seen being Corpse Bride... no wait I've seen Nightmare too)

Coraline has the visual to suggest that if you like the films in the brackets, then you'll likely like this one too and thus it is surprising that I have not ever found time to watch it as evidence suggests that I would be a fan and thus this film would have been up in the ... wait actually only 1 place higher probably.  

• Like 9

42nd - Hunchback of Notre Dame: 18 Votes,  280 points

Previous List - 63rd

Is this the first Disney animation to have a big increase in rank?

If it is, then I for one am totally okay with that as this is my number 7 or 8 Disney animation of all time and an underrated masterpiece. It is dark to a point I never thought Disney would ever reach and it has the best song ever put into animation in Hellfire above. 

This is one film that i am almost glad I ignored for so long as I think I appreciated it so much more by watching it as a 30 year old than I ever would have as a 14 year old. 

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1