chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

41st - How to Train Your Dragon 2: 19 Votes,  313 points

Previous List - 52nd

This film came so close to surpassing the first, but it just came up short in my book. 

Still a great film though and another strong reason to argue that Dreamworks' '2' films are the most consistent out there. It has a strong emotional story like the first and tries its best to surpass the first film and therre are sparks where it really does achieve this. 

However the ending to this film is not quite as strong as the first's and that is probably the difference between it being top 40 and top 20 in this list. 

God I hope that number three keeps the quality up. 

• Like 8
  • ...wtf 1

Getting to the better part of the list, 5 really good movies in a row. 2 sequels that surpass their originals, the second best WDAS ever, the great South Park, and coraline which is also good.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chasmmi said:

43rd - Coraline: 18 Votes, 1 Top 5, 278 points

Previous List - 48th

The penultimate film on the list I have not seen.

Yep, not something random from Japan, i reasonably widely known animated film. This is one of 4 films that I tend to associate with Tim Burton without ever really bothering to double check if they are actually Burton stories (along with Frankenweenie, Nightmare before Xmas and Corpse Bride - the only one of which I have seen being Corpse Bride... no wait I've seen Nightmare too)

Coraline has the visual to suggest that if you like the films in the brackets, then you'll likely like this one too and thus it is surprising that I have not ever found time to watch it as evidence suggests that I would be a fan and thus this film would have been up in the ... wait actually only 1 place higher probably.  

It's Halloween season, so now would be the perfect time to watch it. ;) It's really fantastic and definitely one of the creepiest Western animated movies.

Also, both Nightmare before Christmas and Coraline were directed by Henry Selick. Poor guy always gets overshadowed by Tim Burton and is never given the credit he's due.

• Like 2

40th - Your Name: 15 Votes, 2 Top 5, 2 Top 10  315 points

Previous List - New

This one of the few remaining films on the list I consider to be a bad film, so I should probably tread carefully. Or....

God I wanted this film to be good, and was so disappointed when I came to the conclusion that I hated it. It even seemed so promising at first, but as the story progressed it became clear that I had to believe that all the characters were the stupidest people ever put on the planet, and I had to put my brain on freeze to a level that even The Lake House didn't require. 

I wanted to like this. I really did. People raved about it, and identity themes in the story got a lot of traction in the west for how they were handled. I just couldn't get over how much my mind rallied against the plot to be able to appreciate the characters or the relationships there in. 

I am sorry to the fans, and now you can give your side of the argument in order to sway for souls to give it a chance :) 

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

39th - The Jungle Book: 19 Votes, 2 Top 5,  316 points

Previous List - 39th

And after ripping into a modern anime darling, I now have to try and justify why this empty nothingness of a film is the 2nd best animation of all time...

Yeah... so, Jungle Book has a paper thin plot, rips Kipling to shreds and is basically just a medium for administering a few catchy songs into the brain. But I love it. I mean those songs are among the best ever written for a film. Baloo is an all time classic animated character, and Shere Khan is still a great villain to this day. 

It is unashamedly my favourite Disney animation and I don't think anything will ever top it. I mean how can it? It won't have Wanna Be Like you or Bare Necessities. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

38th - Fantasia: 21 Votes, 1 Top 5, 1 top 10  339 points

Previous List - 28th

Two records fall: first film to receive 21 votes, and it overtakes Bambi as the highest placed film in the previous list to appear in this one. 

Fantasia is a hard 'film' to judge. A pet project of Walt Disney and an ambitious blend of animation with classical music, the highs in this film are very damn high indeed (Sorcerer's Apprentice and the Devil one), but the lows are also arguably a little bit more filler-like than one would hope. 

It is always worth watching, but I also wonder if this drop of 11 places is a sign of future drops to come with each list.

• Like 12

37th - Tangled: 23 Votes, 1 top 10  340 points

Previous List - 24th

Well that highest place from the last list record didn't last long (well it is going to get broken all the time now I suppose).

So here it is, the film that returned me to Disney. I was with a friend in Seoul and we wanted to get 2 hours sleep in between lunch and going out, and thus went to find a DVD room (which at the time we didn't realise the implication of). 

So we just randomly chose Tangled as the film to put on while trying to sleep. And wouldn't you know it, the film was fantastic and we both watched the whole thing. It has great animation, great voice acting and a lovely soundtrack. 

Also, the one big thing that I really appreciated the film for: It didn't waste 25 minutes of run time with the whole "You Lied! How can I trust you?" nonsense that so many films add even when it makes know sense. Ulterior motives are revealed, there's slight reaction and then everyone quickly understands that things have changed since the film began. It was really good to see people react properly to those sort of reveals in a film. 

Oh and still top 5 Disney of the pure CGI era.  

• Like 12

36th - My Neighbor Totoro: 17 Votes, 1 First, 1 Top 5, 1 top 10  354 points

Previous List - 41st

Well we started with a Japanese film I disliked and we end the 5 with a Japanese film I despised. 

I may have to find a bomb shelter after this run of 5 reveals, because this is now 2 all time beloved animes that I am besmirching. Totoro is very pretty obviously, and it has a gorgeous score. That's it. 

I mean seriously, I spent 90 minutes just staring at the TV thinking, "Um.. film, do you perhaps have an exciting incident to bring to the table. Like anything at all? Little Timmy can fall down the well for all I care, just give me something." But nothing forthcame. 

I understand I am not the audience for this film both in my age, and in what I look for in a lot of film, but I was hoping at least to be lost in the cuteness, or moved by the wonder of Totoro himself or something. Instead all I got was a month of nightmares that a cat bus was going to eat me in my sleep. 

I really apologise to those who like this that I cannot get on board. And I promise to make it up to you all as soon as poss... [Glances at the 35th placed film]... oh for the love of everything, I am going to need Witness Protection. 

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

One quick fun stat for you all:

Highest placed film in this list that did not make top 100 last time around

(that was eligible)

Image result for kubo and the two strings

Up to 50th from 107th

Highest placed film from last time around that did not make the list this time 

Related image

Down to 126th from 57th

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, chasmmi said:

45th - Shrek 2: 17 Votes, 273 points

Previous List - 38th

I still consider this the best Shrek Film, but for the second list running, the populace disagrees.

I will Whisper it quietly, but I actually believe that Dreamworks make consistently better animated sequels than any other studio. If you compare Shrek 2, Panda 2, Dragon 2, Madagascar 2 to Toy Story 2, Monsters Uni, Finding Dory, Cars 2, and Incredibles 2. Two of my top 3 are Dreamworks and 3 of my top 5 are still Dreamworks. 

Shrek 2 began this streak with a film that was able to be funny, introduce new major characters that were equals to the original cast, and created a different story to the original. 

It's a great film that sadly marked the peak of a franchise that saw an awful third installment and finally a (actually pretty decent to be fair) 4th film. 

1 sin... ah ah ah

23 hours ago, chasmmi said:

43rd - Coraline: 18 Votes, 1 Top 5, 278 points

Previous List - 48th

The penultimate film on the list I have not seen.

Yep, not something random from Japan, i reasonably widely known animated film. This is one of 4 films that I tend to associate with Tim Burton without ever really bothering to double check if they are actually Burton stories (along with Frankenweenie, Nightmare before Xmas and Corpse Bride - the only one of which I have seen being Corpse Bride... no wait I've seen Nightmare too)

Coraline has the visual to suggest that if you like the films in the brackets, then you'll likely like this one too and thus it is surprising that I have not ever found time to watch it as evidence suggests that I would be a fan and thus this film would have been up in the ... wait actually only 1 place higher probably.  

2 sins... ah ah ah

Seriously how did I miss this thread?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Highest placed film from last time around that did not make the list this time 

Related image

Down to 126th from 57th

If this were WDAS/Pixar and CGI, it would have been permanently enshrined in the Top 20. Though TBF the same could be said for a lot of films on this list.

:gold: At The Jungle Book, other than a couple of nice songs it's mostly just random scenes that aren't good on their own and don't really connect with each other. Shere Khan just shows up for a few minutes near the end and is quickly dispatched in a dumb way. The live action version actually did a really good job of keeping most of the characters around but managed to turn it into a proper story that is just way better than the animated version.

As for the others, Totoro and Fantasia are both good, and Tangled is an average movie that I had near the bottom of my list but shouldn't be anywhere near 37th.

I'm gonna agree with Chas about Your Name. Well, sorta. I don't despise it, but I mostly find it just fine and little more. There are some cute scenes, some really good background animation, and the twist is pretty clever, but the plot resolution is pretty blah, and, as with pretty much all his films, Shinkai leans into melodrama like he's freebasing it. It's better than most of his films, but it's still not very good.

Compared to his contemporaries (Hosoda and Yonebayashi), he's a very distant third in the running for "Miyazaki's successor". (Although even those two are behind the two who have sadly passed on: Kon and Kondo.)

• Like 2