chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

17th - Grave of the Fireflies: 19 Votes, 4 First, 3 top 5, 6 top 10  621 points

Previous List - 32nd

And the best animated film of all time finishes 18th.

This film broke me. I went into it knowing that it was supposedly a sad film. What I did not expect was an opening minute that sees a teenage boy die in a train station, and then 3 minutes later his sister appears from a tin. Despite myself, that was the point where I started crying (minute 4) and I continued to have tears in my eyes for the next 2 hours (and the film is not 2 hours long). 

This film must be watched with subtitles. The voice acting is so well done, and it's genuinely a film that I think everyone should watch once, and then probably never want to see again. This film is a total bastard. It tells you in the opening minutes that the film is not going to end well and yet somehow keeps you full of hope that things will not end that way. 

You watch and you pray that the kids will find a way to make a happy ending and yet the inevitable always happens. A scene involving balls of soil is possibly the most emotional I have ever felt in any scene in cinema anywhere (It's affecting me even recalling it here.)

The film is a masterpiece and I am glad it is now in the top 20. I also completely understand why many others will consider most other films in the top 20, 30 or even 100 to be a better time spent that watching this one. 

This film makes the top 20 with 19 votes when all but one other film in the top 20 received 27 or more.   

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

16th - Up: 28 Votes, 1 First, 3 top 5, 6 top 10  629 points

Previous List - 15th

A 10 minute masterpiece of an animated short that happens to have a decent 75 minute sequel bolted onto the end of it. 

I really like Up. Carl is cool, Doug is great and I always like to find ways to reference the Cone of Shame wherever I can. However just like a number of Pixar films, I feel like this film hits some astounding highs that then do a great job of masking the longer than one remembers bursts of mediocreness within the film.

For every opening scene, there is nonsense with that bloody bird. For every fun silliness with the dogs, there is good a good ol' Pixar, the only other character in the film is the villain because of course he is scene. 

Up is great. Probably top 20 great at times. It's also not close to the quality of all but about two of the films above it in this list though, 

• Like 12

15th - Zootopia: 30 Votes, 1 top 5, 3 top 10  629 points

Previous List - 16th

I remember a period when it seemed that opinion was wondering if this would become Disney's first post-Tangled flop. 

Then it released and we discovered that Disney should never be doubted. This film sounded awful at one point, but just like Frozen turned out to be more than a story of a reindeer and a snowman fighting over a carrot, this was a much deeper film that anyone suspected it would be. 

That scene above, is one of Disney's best scenes and even though I preferred Moana, this was the opening half of a great year in animation both for Disney and pretty much every animation house. 

• Like 12

14th - Coco: 29 Votes, 1 First, 1 top 5, 6 top 10  637 points

Previous List - New

And after a few months to reflect on my opinion, I have decided that this was in fact Pixar's best ever film.

Now don't get me wrong, I am still pissed that this film may have contributed in another great Day of the Dead animation dropping 62 places and out of the top 100 in The Book of Life (A fantastic animated musical that almost killed this film's production by existing). 

However, Coco is a film that I never knew I needed and is a testament to the fact that two near identical concepts can become great films in completely different ways and themes. Book of Life is a love story, this is a family story. BOL blends contemporary and modern music while COCO is pure original music. Coco has the classic Pixar villain, BOL... well the way it deals with heroes and villains of the story is one of my favourite in any animation. 

Book of Life has the amazing apology song. Coco has the somehow even better Remember Me. 

This has kind of turned into a slight reflection on how much I like Book of Life, but in returning to Coco, this is a film that doesn't have the common Pixar issue of there been one or two scenes that steal the spotlight from the rest of the film. It is consistently strong from start to finish and that results in a film that is able to build and build to a magnificent emotional crescendo at the end, instead of having one feel that the film was great and all, but kind of missed the landing at the end when compared to the scenes at the beginning. 

• Like 17

13th - Ratatouille: 32 Votes, 1 First, 2 top 5, 6 top 10  695 points

Previous List - 13th

And the other film that along with Monsters, Inc confuses me in how it finishes so highly.

And it is another case of a film that I think is great, like top half of the list great, but I don't see that something extra that makes it a challenger for the top 10 that it regularly becomes. 

It has all the Pixar pluses, there is great animation, emotional hooks, funny jokes and the like. But I have never seen Ratatouille as a film I would rank as an all time great, and thus it kind of becomes another film that I think gets high placements for riding the wave of general Pixar love. 

• Like 12

12th - Princess Mononoke: 24 Votes, 2 First, 8 top 5, 4 top 10  722 points

Previous List - 8th

Miyazaki's best film. 

I really like Mononoke, it is one of the few animated epics in my mind and has a generally better feel to it in my eyes than most the other Ghibli films. I am a sad to see it drop out of the top 10, although there was a point about 15 lists in that this was threatening to drop a lot further down than that, It rallied hard over the final 10 lists to almost regain its top 10 placement. 

There are stronger characters in this than a lot of the other Japanese animations that I personally have watched (all like 9 of them), and I think that just made the story for whatever reason feel a little bit more accessible to my dirty gaijin brain, than many of the others.  

• Like 12

11th - Finding Nemo: 29 Votes, 1 First, 7 top 5, 5 top 10  740 points

Previous List - 14th

And so onto the highest finishing film that I hate.

And that scene above encapsulates a lot of what I dislike about the film. It has Dory being the worst thing Disney ever made (I will take a Mater trilogy over this). There is the endless amount of nonsense padding because there is no story here, just 2 annoying fish traveling to meet up with another annoying fish. 

Before Good Dinosaur came along and somehow managed to lower the bar, this was always the only Pixar film I didn't like, and I never understood the raves it got and still gets. It's a generic story, stuffed with filler scenes and annoying side characters, fronted by 2 whiny main characters and a 1 joke comic relief that was not funny on introduction, let alone 50 minutes later.

Sorry fans, that is just how I feel. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

Weird how Miyazaki placed so well on top 100 films of all time, but faltered a bit here.  Probably because it’s base of passion is less widespread.

I do wish we wouldn’t bash the films in the write up.  Subtle digs are fine, but it just feels weird to say “Users think Finding Nemo is the 11th best but actually this movie sucks!”

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, PANDA said:

Weird how Miyazaki placed so well on top 100 films of all time, but faltered a bit here.  Probably because it’s base of passion is less widespread.

To be fair, he hasn't actually really faltered that much compared to the Top 100 of all time films list. 

Assuming the Top 10 here is what we all expect it to be, more or less all of those movies also made the Top 100 of all time list, and placed either higher than Mononoke or in the same kind of bracket. 

I mean, just to compare positionings with what I expect the Top 10 (+ Finding Nemo) will be...

Spoiler

Rankings in Top 100 All Time Movies List

Princess Mononoke: 41st

Beauty and the Beast: 40th

Spirited Away: 28th

The Lion King: 17th

Toy Story: 33rd

Toy Story 2: 47th

Toy Story 3: 44th

Inside Out: 20th

WALL-E: 62nd (probably the only major exception)

Aladdin: 43rd

The Incredibles: 36th

Finding Nemo: 31st

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

To be fair, he hasn't actually really faltered that much compared to the Top 100 of all time films list. 

Assuming the Top 10 here is what we all expect it to be, more or less all of those movies also made the Top 100 of all time list, and placed either higher than Mononoke or in the same kind of bracket. 

I mean, just to compare positionings with what I expect the Top 10 (+ Finding Nemo) will be...

Hide contents

Rankings in Top 100 All Time Movies List

Princess Mononoke: 41st

Beauty and the Beast: 40th

Spirited Away: 28th

The Lion King: 17th

Toy Story: 33rd

Toy Story 2: 47th

Toy Story 3: 44th

Inside Out: 20th

WALL-E: 62nd (probably the only major exception)

Aladdin: 43rd

The Incredibles: 36th

Finding Nemo: 31st

Oh yeah, I forgot how much animation was on that Top 100 list!

Today was the best group of films of the whole list, including tomorrow's one. Mononoke and Fireflies are the top 2 animations ever, Ratatouille is top ten and the second best Pixar, Zootopia is the best WDAS of all (and one of the only ones that I rated higher than the forum), Coco is great, and the other two are also fine. Not a single film I dislike.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

I'll never stop talking about how amazing Coco is. The magic of the film is that is so genuine on its take on Mexican culture that it can resonate with many people. I didn't know anything about the Day of the Death before seeing this film but it still had so many elements that resonated with me, the family, the overprotective and overfeeding grandma, the music (which is even better in Spanish)...

And the story is so emotive, I cried all the way from the reveal that Hector was the relative to end, and the final scene is just the perfect wrap up. This is the first movie that has made me want to watch it again ASAP and I ended seeing it 3 times in theaters. Honestly one just have to look at the insane legs this movie had on Latin America and Asia to see that how much it resonated with audiences worldwide. 

In Chile, it went from the second lowest Pixar opening of the decade to the most viewed movie of all time with a run that rivals Titanic. The numbers speak for themselves, you can only imagine the WOM: HnrfOka.png

It stayed in theaters 26 weeks, more than in the US despite Chile having only a hundred theaters in all the country 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

Highly unpopular opinion: Moana was much better than Zootopia and is one of the top 3 WDAS films, together with The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast.

agree. Moana feels like a classic already like it belongs in that 1990s Renaissance, and the more you watch it the more you like it(first time I watched it I was underwhelmed & thought Zootopia was much stronger, but even after the second time you get it), you don't get tired of it. Zootopia is great & has great themes but you don't get THAT magic feeling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Titan Man said:

Highly unpopular opinion: Moana was much better than Zootopia and is one of the top 3 WDAS films, together with The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast.

For me it's splitting hairs.  I ranked Moana 20th and Zootopia 21st (though most films on my list could easily have been 5-10 spots higher or lower) but Moana is the one that gives me a lump in my throat. 

This scene does it to me every time

• Like 3

Moana is easily superior to Zootopia IMO. Zootopia while well-intentioned, well-crafted and technically brilliant still clumsily makes an allegory of actual predatory animals as minorities, and that world-building backstory (with how the film STARTS) of how 'predators did eat the prey in the past' but then 'evolved'...

tenor.gif?itemid=3871540

Moana OTOH has all the strengths of Zootopia + some AND avoids its pitfalls. This never fails to give me the chills

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Moana > Zootopia is an unpopular opinion?

Whewww the taste here...

Well, Zootopia is the one that took all the awards and was much more talked about in the media, and to top that, it made a billion dollars, which is quite difficult for an animated movie. Also, the unpopular part of my post was the one in which I compare Moana to TLK and BaTB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Moana is easily superior to Zootopia IMO. Zootopia while well-intentioned, well-crafted and technically brilliant still clumsily makes an allegory of actual predatory animals as minorities, 

It's not an uncommon literary tactic to demonstrate the actual oppression going on with the actual status quo