chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Moana is easily superior to Zootopia IMO. Zootopia while well-intentioned, well-crafted and technically brilliant still clumsily makes an allegory of actual predatory animals as minorities, and that world-building backstory (with how the film STARTS) of how 'predators did eat the prey in the past' but then 'evolved'...

tenor.gif?itemid=3871540

Moana OTOH has all the strengths of Zootopia + some AND avoids its pitfalls. This never fails to give me the chills

I think you’re misreading the allegory a bit.  The “predator” animals aren’t savage by any form in the film, but there is a racist notion in that society that certain animals have that in their nature.  I think the play is a way to set up that underlying fear the majority class has of the minority (think about how modern Europeans and white Americans in the past would call aboriginals and Africans primitive, uncivilized or savage.  Or now how there’s racist terms comparing blacks to monkeys, or thugs, and racist paintings of Latino immigrants as violent rapists and drug dealers in the US ).

It’s not saying minorities are actual predators, because the predator animals in the film aren’t predators.  But it does display how whites often view minorities in racist, fearful “predator” terms, as if they’re out to get them.

• Like 4

10th - Aladdin: 30 Votes, 2 First, 4 top 5, 6 top 10  746 points

Previous List - 9th

Aladdin is my personal number 2 Disney animation.

And there are a number of reasons for this. Be it the great soundtrack, the fun story, or the OG wonderful Robin Williams performance, Aladdin is a gem and deserving of its place in the top 10. It was a tough ask to hope it finished much higher than this as there are some serious support waves for everything still to come. 

It will be interesting to see how much this love for the animation translates into goodwill to potentially see the live action version next year...

• Like 14

9th - BEauty and the Beast: 31 Votes, 2 First, 1 top 5, 11 top 10  762 points

Previous List - 5th

To my young pre-teen mind, this was always the 'girl' Disney film to Aladdin's 'boy' Disney film. 

That's a more outdated view to have come 2018, when everybody is allowed to like everything, but that remnant of an idea will likely forever stay slightly in my mind. It is probably why I have Aladdin as an all time top 5 animation, but BATB languishes around 30th. 

On a wider scale, the two films are hard to split. 31 votes to 30, 14 top 10 votes to 12. only 16 points apart after all the lists. Both the films have big fan bases and maybe just maybe some of that fan base made a choice of one over the over depending on what type of story you prefer to get behind. 

Kind of puts them as 3.75 quadrant films, and not 4 quadrants that many of what is to come reached...

• Like 12
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

To my young pre-teen mind, this was always the 'girl' Disney film to Aladdin's 'boy' Disney film. 

That's a more outdated view to have come 2018, when everybody is allowed to like everything, but that remnant of an idea will likely forever stay slightly in my mind.

TBF that's pretty much how Disney marketed them back in the day. Comparing the "girlier" 2 of the Renaissance Big 4, interestingly as a franchise, TLM was given more of a chance than BatB to appeal to more demos (probably because the underwater world was larger in scope and potential than Beast's isolated castle).

Oddly enough, for all the deliberate intentions to have Belle emulate feminist beliefs, Ariel had a better showing in the 90's if you consider her follow-up animated series and video game where she was allowed to be a more active, resourceful heroine in the traditional sense. Speaking of just the original films, Ariel was also given more facets (for instance, Belle wasn't allowed to be this comical and personable):

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

So odd that almost every comment here agrees with this, but yet Zootopia won easily. 

I already said earlier that Zootopia is the best WDAS movie of all time, and I didn't feel the need to repeat that just to tell those people how wrong they are putting the very average Moana above it.

8 hours ago, Tower said:

I already said earlier that Zootopia is the best WDAS movie of all time, and I didn't feel the need to repeat that just to tell those people how wrong they are putting the very average Moana above it.

It is always subjective how people think about movies. For me, Zootopia is considered a movie for adult and grown ups and it can be taught in college with its message of diversity, tolerance, equality and the right to be part of a society. In other part Moana has a strong message to empower women and make them strong, clever and leading with a wonderful animation and heart felt story. They are all good movies with strong message and people can prefer one to the other based on how they think, feel and how the story impact them.  Everyone has the right to prefer one more than the other  as long as they all agree they are both great movies.

Edited by Finnick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Finnick said:

It is always subjective how people think about movies. For me, Zootopia is considered a movie for adult and grown ups and it can be taught in college with its message of diversity, tolerance, equality and the right to be part a society. In other part Moana has a strong message to empower women and make them strong, clever and leading with a wonderful animation and heart felt story. They are all good movies with strong message and people can prefer one to the other based on how they think, feel and how the story impact them.  Every one has the right to prefer one more than the other as long as all agree they are both great movies.

I agree wholeheartedly

In addition:

slight to huge differences in how to feel about different movies will also be based on differences in quality of the translations (text and voices) plus differences per culture in especial what is 'funny' and so on. Those differences about humor can even vary from region to region within the same country, incl smaller countries.

• Like 2

8th - Toy Story: 33 Votes, 6 top 5, 6 top 10  787 points

Previous List - 7th

It is rare that a film is revolutionary both technically and artistically, but Toy Story may well have accomplished that. 

As the first ever feature length CGI animation, Toy Story's place in history was sealed whether the film turned out decent or not. That it turned out to be one of the premier animations of a generation, meant that not only did it turn the world's attention to the animation style, it also introduced the general audience to Pixar and began a love affair that lasts to this day. 

Personally I consider this to be the second best of the Toy Story films, I won't say which over is where just yet though.  

• Like 13

7th - The Incredibles: 33 Votes, 5 top 5, 5 top 10  793 points

Previous List - 4th

Up until Coco turned up, this was my number 1 Pixar film. 

And I think the reason for that was that it is the most consistent film Pixar made up until that point. Other films like Up, Wall E, the Toy Stories, they have massive iconic moments, moments better than any single moment in The Incredibles. However, when those films' quality drops, I also think they fall just below The Incredibles also. 

Its also a pretty common observation to also quasi-consider this to be the good Fantastic Four film that Fox seem unable to make. 

Fun fact, this film once had quite a lead at the top of this table before falling away near the end. It seemed guaranteed to be top 3, but ended up a 'mere' 7th. 

• Like 14
  • Astonished 1

6th - Toy Story 2: 33 Votes, 2 First, 5 top 5, 6 top 10  829 points

Previous List - 11th

And this is the best Toy Story film.

It is funnier than Toy Story 3, and it is more emotional than Toy Story 1. It is the most complete Toy Story film in the Trilogy, and if every Toy Story film was at this level, then it could in fact challenge Kung Fu Panda as the best animated trilogy. However as great as this one is, the slight drop from 1 and 2 down to the upcoming 3rd, means that it still has to settle for second place on that list (Unless HTTYD3 bumps it down even further). 

Regardless of my unpopular opinion above, there are no bad films at this point (the last one of those came back at 11th place), and this is one film that I am happy to see break into the top 10. It means that there are maybe one or two folks out there that share my view of the one true Toy Story Quality order:

Toy Story 2

Toy Story

Toy Story 3

• Like 11
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

5th - Toy Story 3: 30 Votes, 2 First, 8 top 5, 5 top 10  841 points

Previous List - 10th

Now don't get me wrong, I still think this film is great. 

But I consider it a top 25-30 all time film whereas 1 is a top 20 and number 2 threatens the top 10. It has a lot of high moments, that furnace scene was excellent, as is the one linked above. But I also felt that this film had just a little bit more filler than the two before it and after having Woody's journey and Buzz's Journey traveled in the first two films, it was just a little more of a stretch to dig out a third story to finish the trilogy. 

I do wonder if they can produce anything even close to this for part 4.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4th - Wall E: 31 Votes, 1 First, 9 top 5, 5 top 10  862 points

Previous List - 6th

The highest finishing film to never be at number 1. In fact 4th was the highest it ever reached. 

To me, Wall E is another Up type film. Some of the best moments in all of Pixar, but also a... not underwhelming, but not all time great act to finish the film off. The opening half is incredible, but it does fall away on the spaceship and that is probably the difference between being 4th and maybe challenging the top 3. 

Essentially, Wall E is the I Am Legend of animation. A brilliant film until they brought other humans into the fray.

• Like 15

3rd - Spirited Away: 32 Votes, 2 First, 13 top 5, 3 top 10  977 points

Previous List - 3rd

It was always going to be the top finishing Japanese film, and there were moments it looked like it could win it all.

In the end, it came up just short. Personally I am okay with that as I think the next two films are both better (My flag was planted in a different Japanese garden), but this is still a wonderfully imaginative and magical animated film and I can understand why people love it. 

However, I personally can't see past Spirited Away being a very pretty bedtime time story compared to the deeper and more complete stories of positions 1 and 2. But that also comes down to Miyazaki not quite being the god in my eyes that it is to others. He is one of the great animators, but he has never made a film that I want to scream about from the rafters. 

• Like 14

2nd - The Lion King: 32 Votes, 3 First, 10 top 5, 5 top 10  988 points

Previous List - 2nd

My number 3 Disney Animation, My number 4 animated film full stop, and just a great film from the 90's.

So the top 3 are unchanged from last time around, but it was changing backwards and forwards between the top 3 for list after list after list. 28 points separated the to 3 so just one more list with a strong leaning towards one over the other two could have resulted in a completely different top 3. 

Either Way, The Lion King is one of my favourite films full stop. I really hope Favreau pulls off something special next year, and we get a live action film somewhere close to this in quality.  

• Like 15

1st - Inside Out: 33 Votes, 4 First, 9 top 5, 5 top 10  1005 points

Previous List - 1st

The film that brought Pixar back to its best. 

And I really love this film. I considered it top 3 Pixar when it first came out and I think it is still 4th at worst in my personal opinion. It is another film in the Coco, Incredibles Line that does not have a trough moment. It is consistent from start to finish and it also opens up a world of possibilities to maybe one day return to this concept. 

If I find myself doing this list for yet a 3rd time in 2020 (I've yet to actually ever initiate the poll :) ), I wonder if it will threepeat.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

A few personal lists of Mine:

Top 10 Animations 

1st - Grave of the Fireflies

2nd - Jungle Book 

3rd - Aladdin

4th - Lion King

5th - Kung Fu Panda 3

6th - South Park

7th - Coco

8th - Kung Fu Panda 2