chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

Thank you everyone for reading and commenting. I know I am not the fastest at revealing, but I like to let each block breath and... well I am also slow at revealing.

Here is a Shameless Plug for the Winter Game if anybody wants to enter:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So that is really left now is think about if/when I start planning the movie songs list (the poll I was actually planning to do before inheriting this one). 

I feel like I have used a lot of forum space with lists the past few months. 

So happy Inside Out won. It was an incredible movie, amazingly funny and sad at times. I still think that UP has the best sequence of all time and Pixar hits its highest heights in that sequence but UP does drag on a bit when its doing the bird and villain storyline. Inside Out on the other hand is great from start to finish. 

And what a Pixar domination this is! 6 in the top 10. And Disney too ofcourse for the whole list but that was expected. 

Thanks @chasmmi for the list. 

• Thanks 1

The full list:

rank film
100 Kung Fu Panda 3
99 When Marnie Was There
98 The Sword In The Stone
97 The Rescuers
96 Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
95 Song Of The Sea
94 Watership Down
93 Anastasia
92 The Fox And The Hound
91 Millenium Actress
90 Tokyo Godfathers
89 Cars
88 Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm
87 Treasure Planet
86 Brave
85 The Tale Of Princess Kaguya
84 Paprika
83 Alice In Wonderland
82 The Simpsons
81 Wolf Children
80 Basil, The Great Mouse Detective
79 The Princess And The Frog
78 Lady And The Tramp
77 Despicable Me
76 The Curse Of The Wererabbit
75 Peter Pan
74 Ice Age
73 The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh
72 Finding Dory
71 Whisper Of The Heart
70 The Wind Rises
69 Team America: World Police
68 Sleeping Beauty
67 Persepolis
66 Dumbo
65 Rango
64 Robin Hood
63 A Bug's Life
62 Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind
61 Castle In The Sky
60 Ponyo
59 Tarzan
58 Kiki's Delivery Service
57 The Land Before Time
56 Hercules
55 Bambi
54 The Secret Of NIMH
53 Kung Fu Panda 2
52 Chicken Run
51 Ghost In The Shell
50 Kubo And The Two Strings
49 Fantastic Mr. Fox
48 101 Dalmations
47 Big Hero 6
46 The Emperor's New Groove
45 Shrek 2
44 South Park
43 Coraline
42 Hunchback Of Notre Dame
41 How To Train Your Dragon 2
40 Your Name
39 The Jungle Book
38 Fantasia
37 Tangled
36 My Neighbor Totoro
35 Howl's Moving Castle
34 The Prince Of Egypt
33 The Little Mermaid
32 Moana
31 Mulan
30 Kung Fu Panda
29 Lilo And Stitch
28 Shrek
27 Wreck It Ralph
26 Akira
25 A Nightmare Before Christmas
24 Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
23 Frozen
22 The Iron Giant
21 Pinocchio
20 The Lego Movie
19 How To Train Your Dragon
18 Monsters Inc.
17 Grave Of The Fireflies
16 Up
15 Zootopia
14 Coco
13 Ratatouille
12 Princess Mononoke
11 Finding Nemo
10 Aladdin
9 Beauty And The Beast
8 Toy Story
7 The Incredibles
6 Toy Story 2
5 Toy Story 3
4 Wall-E
3 Spirited Away
2 The Lion King
1 Inside Out
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Some statistics:

There were 79 entries in English, 20 in Japanese and 1 in French.

2016 was the year with the most entries with 6.

the zeros was the decade with the most entries with 29.

Lady and The Tramp had the biggest fall plummeting 42 places since the last list.

Amongst films that were in the top 150 last time, Kubo had the biggest rise with a 57 place increase.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

So odd that almost every comment here agrees with this, but yet Zootopia won easily. 

Zootopia for the win! It has the social relevancy and promote common value that all human being should cherish, and this kind of social commentary is rarely represented so explicitly in animation world.

Zootopia is kind of the leftist film that promote ideology in a least disgusting manner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

Can someone explain to me why everyone seems to hate Finding Dory? I thought it was at least on par (for me better) than the first one, so I can't understand the low scores it has here, on IMDb etc.

For me the emotional moments didn't land as strongly as other Pixar Movies, I felt that the movie was trying way to hard to be emotive and couldn't quite reach those heights. Besides, expectations also played a part, I saw it again on TV few days ago and was better than I remembered (I was dissapointed when I saw it on theaters ) 

And if the emotion don't stick, you are left with a movie which plot is solid but not spectacular and there's plenty of animated movies that are like that. 

What I don't get is the hate to Dory the character, maybe the Latin Spanish dubbing makes it more bearable.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It is a bad movie.

*inserts "it's what she deserves" gif*

But why is it a bad movie? I keep hearing that, yet I don't find it bad, not even mediocre, and I have some quite high standards when it comes to the quality of what I watch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

But why is it a bad movie? I keep hearing that, yet I don't find it bad, not even mediocre, and I have some quite high standards when it comes to the quality of what I watch.

It was basically a remake of Finding Nemo with less humour, less emotion and less thrilling moments.

All in all, it is an overrated film not the opposite. It ia ridiculous that it stands at +90% on RT.

• Like 3

It’s interesting, whenever you hear people talk about the best animated movie discussions usually gravitate towards Toy Story, Maybe BATB/TLK, or Snow White.

IO feels like a unique favorite to this forum (it’s my personal favorite too), always a little pleasantly surprised with how well it’s appreciated here

• Like 2

When Inside Out won last time, I thought it was mostly due to recency bias, but I guess this cements that you guys really love this movie. I like it too, a lot, but it's definitely not what I expect to see when I think "best animated movie of all time." Nonetheless, I'm pretty happy with how this list turned out and to see my personal favorites Toy Story 3 and Wall-E rise to be right behind the top 3. Maybe next time we'll get them even higher. ;)

If anyone's interested, I've compiled the list on Letterboxd because I love their formatting. Link here:

https://letterboxd.com/lolifofo/list/the-box-office-theorys-top-100-animated-movies/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Here's my list. I think when I originally put it together, it came to about 90 or so. I wanted add enough to make it an even 100. (not necessarily the last 10 or so, because in the consideration, I remembered some movies I ranked slightly higher.)

On 9/24/2018 at 2:47 PM, ElastiRoc said:

1. Frozen

2. How To Train Your Dragon

3. Whisper of the Heart

4. Inside Out

5. Watership Down

6. Kiki's Delivery Service

7. The Iron Giant

8. Paprika

9. Incredibles 2

10. Spirited Away

11. Moana

12. Lilo & Stitch

13. Song of the Sea

14. Ponyo

15. Zootopia

16. The Lion King

17. Chicken Run

18. The Castle of Cagliostro

19. Up

20. The Incredibles

21. Summer Wars

22. Akira

23. Monsters, Inc.

24. Millennium Actress

25. Princess Mononoke

26. The Last Unicorn

27. Wall-E

28. The Breadwinner

29. How to Train Your Dragon 2

30. Persepolis

31. When Marnie Was There

32. Tokyo Godfathers

33. Pinocchio

34. The Emperor's New Groove

35. Aladdin

36. The Secret of Kells
37. Ernest & Celestine

38. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
 39. April & the Extraordinary World

40. The Cat Returns

41. Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs

42. Ratatouille

43. My Neighbor Totoro

44. Dumbo

45. Coco

46. Boy and the World

47. Coraline

48. Grave of the Fireflies

49. Sleeping Beauty

50. Porco Rosso

51. Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit

52. Robin Hood

53. The Hobbit

54. Bambi

55. Mulan

56. Kubo & the Two Strings

57. The Secret World of Arrietty
 58. The Book of Life

59. Fantasia

60. Howl's Moving Castle

61. Perfect Blue
62. The Boy & the Beast

63. When Sita Sings the Blues

64. The Tale of Princess Kaguya

65. Wolf Children

66. Castle in the Sky

67. Cat's Don't Dance

68. Paranorman

69. Nausicaa

70. Ghost in the Shell

71. Shaun the Sheep Movie

72. The Secret of NIMH

73. Only Yesterday

74. The Wind Rises

75. Isle of Dogs

76. Bolt

77. Tangled

78. Cinderella

79. Beauty and the Beast

80. The Nightmare Before Christmas

81. A Goofy Movie

82. Wreck-It Ralph

83. Fantastic Mr. Fox

84. A Cat in Paris

85. The Princess and the Frog

86. The Thief & the Cobbler

87. Wizards

88. Wings of the Honneamise

89. An American Tale

90. The Little Mermaid

91. The Adventures of Prince Achmed

92. The Prince of Egypt

93. Early Man

94. The Great Mouse Detective

95. James & the Giant Peach

96. The Jungle Book

97. The Triplets of Belleville

98. Titan A.E.

99. Transformers the Movie

100. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut

• Like 2

On 10/13/2018 at 4:25 AM, chasmmi said:

55th - Bambi: 18 Votes, 1 First, 1 top 10,  238 points

Previous List - 29th

That's a huge drop for Bambi, the ultimate 'One Scene Film' from Disney animation.

I admit it is unfair for Bambi to only be remembered for the one scene, but it is. Just like many folks can only really tell you about the first 9 minutes of Up and then it gets hazy, there are a lot of people that remember traumatic childhoods of seeing a deer killed before their eyes (even though she wasn't), and don't really recall how the story pans out after that (other than it somehow involves a skunk and a rabbit).

Bambi is gorgeous for its time, and there is a lot of good in it. I personally consider edge of top 50 to be a better placement than edge of top 25 though. 

On 10/13/2018 at 4:25 AM, chasmmi said:

55th - Bambi

Previous List - 29th

On 10/13/2018 at 8:22 AM, Tower said:

Bambi- outside of a few minutes near the end where all the action happens, it's quite boring.

On 10/14/2018 at 4:01 PM, lolifofo said:

Deserved drop for Bambi. Very dull and overrated movie imo. The Lion King did it 1000x better, and it actually has a plot.

What the actual fuck?!

2ykoCkr.gif?noredirect

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Inside Out, huh? Well, it did make my Top 10, so I guess I'm happy with it.

Overall, I thought the list wasn't too bad. Better than last time, if I remember correctly. Sure, the usual overhyped Disney/Pixar suspects still ended up coming out on top, but I can't be angry at a list with such a heavy Satoshi Kon representation. Plus Wolf Children finally made it on!

Doing a quick tally, around 59/100 films from my personal list made it onto the final list, which was about what I expected. Funnily enough, that ratio was also actually fairly representative of my Top 10, where only 6/10 films made it. Not entirely surprising, since half of them were hardly mainstream, but an amusing coincidence nonetheless.

5 hours ago, Titan Man said:

Speaking as someone who found it fairly 'meh' when it came out, I did a write up in my 2016 end of year list a while ago that I think still sums up my issues with the movie fairly well.

Spoiler

Yeah, Finding Dory is this low. No joke, I thought this movie was painfully average. It’s a shame because Finding Nemo is one of my biggest nostalgic favourites and probably one of my favourite Pixar movies.

However, while I’m not against Pixar sequels/prequels as much as some people, I was leery of this project from the beginning. While as I mentioned, I do really like Finding Nemo, I tend to find that Dory is one of the things that doesn't really hold up as well and ended up being one of the more annoying characters in it. So an entire movie about her was going to have some trouble winning me over. And while I give them credit for trying (and my fears about Dory being annoying did not come to pass) it didn’t really work overall for me. And ultimately, I think the biggest flaw of the story came down to one simple thing.

The movie never really made me care about finding Dory’s parents.

I mean, let’s compare with Finding Nemo for a second. The whole ‘Finding’ storyline in that works because when Marlin and Nemo are separated, we’ve already had plenty of time to get to know and empathise with them both as characters. So we care about them both and we care about them getting back together. Finding Dory showed us a bit of the parents early in the movie but they didn’t come off as anything except generic loving parents. So I didn’t really care that much about them. Not to mention, there’s no pressing need for them to be immediately reunited. In FN, Nemo and Marlin had just been separated and Nemo was shown to be in danger of dying in captivity. In FD, Dory’s gone for years without seeing or even knowing about her parents, so there’s really not as much as strong narrative for them to need to be reunited.

Hell, I kinda thought for a moment that they might be going down the ‘parents are dead, Nemo + Marlin are your new family’ route, but nope. Sure, you can argue that we’re supposed to care because Dory cares and we care about Dory but (and maybe this is why I don’t like it as much as other people) I don’t really care that much about Dory. For me, Marlin was what worked so well about the first Finding Nemo. Dory was a cute annoyance. I cared about her character a little bit but not nearly enough to support an entire narrative.

So yeah, to sum up, the central conceit of the movie really didn’t work for me which meant the movie didn’t really work for me. Which is a shame because the animation is nice, there are some neat sequences and Hank was a cool character. But it never really rose above average to me.

• Like 2