YM!

Weekend Thread 9/28-9/30: Night School $1.35M, Smallfoot $850K Thursday Previews

2 hours ago, diddykongracing128 said:

Who keeps on paying tickets to see Kevin Hart?

All he does is scream and that is somehow funny? Give me a break. Deadpool is funnier than he is.

Kevin hart is hot right now. We go through this all the time with comedians, they have their time at the top before people  start getting tired of them. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Kevin hart is hot right now. We go through this all the time with comedians, they have their time at the top before people  start getting tired of them. 

He’s hit or miss at times, after Ride Along two of his next films were front-loaded. 

Then Wedding Ringer and Get Hard were both big hits. 

Kevin Hart isn’t in the Murphy or McCarthy fatigue yet. 

Saw Smallfoot. It was good, had some good messages and themes. But its messages were definitely on-the-nose. Didn't have the characters or story depth to back it up though as an animated classic. It's basically Monster's Inc in terms of themes IMO but the WalMart version (aka not as cheap as the dollar store version, still serviceable, can't complain, but not as good). 

There were 9 people in the theatre including me though. Not sure that means it's a bad sign. But this theatre's usually pretty dead anyways. My Friday night show for Clock last week had o/u 20 people so...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Saw Smallfoot. It was good, had some good messages and themes. But its messages were definitely on-the-nose. Didn't have the characters or story depth to back it up though as an animated classic. It's basically Monster's Inc in terms of themes IMO but the WalMart version (aka not as cheap as the dollar store version, still serviceable, can't complain, but not as good). 

There were 9 people in the theatre including me though. Not sure that means it's a bad sign. But this theatre's usually pretty dead anyways. My Friday night show for Clock last week had o/u 20 people so...

Is it as funny as Storks, a lot of reviews have mentioned it has Looney Tunes style humour. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

Is it as funny as Storks, a lot of reviews have mentioned it has Looney Tunes style humour. 

I mean I guess. I wouldn't call it Looney Tunes humour as much as just slapstick. There's definitely some good lines in there. But I really didn't get the musical aspect of it. There's like literally 4 songs in the movie and then its pretty much abandoned. Corden's got a funny number and so does Common. But Tatum's and Zendaya's songs are pointless and sound like they were written for a direct to VOD movie

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean I guess. I wouldn't call it Looney Tunes humour as much as just slapstick. There's definitely some good lines in there. But I really didn't get the musical aspect of it. There's like literally 4 songs in the movie and then its pretty much abandoned. Corden's got a funny number and so does Common. But Tatum's and Zendaya's songs are pointless and sound like they were written for a direct to VOD movie

I get the hunch the musical aspect was added late in development, likely inspired by the resurgence in musicals in the last two years

It’s a shame that WAG hasn’t managed an original film that is the same quality as Lego Movie or Lego Batman but I think they’ll get there eventually. There’s no original films for the forseeable future, Lego Movie 2 should do well but I’m interested to see how Scooby turns out 

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Nah. Storks was infinitely funnier. Course one of my favorite comedians is Andy Samberg, so I'm naturally biased.

Disagree with DAJK on the music though. I really enjoyed Zendaya's song, although that's probably because Zendaya's voice is beautiful and the visuals for the song are really strong.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Nah. Storks was infinitely funnier. Course one of my favorite comedians is Andy Samberg, so I'm naturally biased.

Disagree with DAJK on the music though. I really enjoyed Zendaya's song, although that's probably because Zendaya's voice is beautiful and the visuals for the song are really strong.

Visuals are really strong throughout the whole movie to be fair. But yea, for that song in particular they were pretty great. Maybe that's what made the song itself seem so mediocre for me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I've got tickets for Saturday with the family, so I'm cheered to hear your review, even if it's not stellar:)...an original animated film that delivers, even if not perfectly, is a blessing:)...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dXairdryZid said:

Expected. Thinking a B- or something for Night School

edit: damn A- for Night School. Guess the audience score on RT shouldn't be looked at as a holy grail of audience reception. 

C for Hell Fest. It'll come and go making o/u 12M throughout its run. Lionsgate had Simple Favor this month anyways. 

Edited by DAJK

https://deadline.com/2018/09/night-school-tiffany-haddish-kevin-hart-weekend-box-office-1202472883/

Night School down from earlier estimates to 9.3M (25.9 est. weekend)

Smallfoot up to 6.4M (23+ est. weekend)

House down 54% 12.3M

Life itself 966k

Farenheit 11/9 1.1M

Assassination Nation 209k (down 80% :hahaha:)

Free Solo with potentially highest PTA of the year at 67k

Old Man and the Gun with 141k (28k PTA)

• Like 4