Box Office Hit

Free Guy | 20th Century | August 13 2021

Movie has lots of cool visuals, action and fun dialogues, but does not tell anything about the story or plot. That's a recipe for audience rejection irrespective of reviews.

Hoping it somehow ends up doing very well. Looks way cooler than most of your standard fare.

Wish it had the marvel logo, the hype and buzz would be through the roof.

18 minutes ago, TMP said:

Reynolds certainly found his niche

Yeah he's good for now, but he can become annoying with his schtick pretty fast. I don't think his comedy routine will last long. People love him as Deadpool, but everything else has not been a mega hit. Still, he's good for now

8 minutes ago, Alli said:

Yeah he's good for now, but he can become annoying with his schtick pretty fast. I don't think his comedy routine will last long. People love him as Deadpool, but everything else has not been a mega hit. Still, he's good for now

Van Wilder did awesome for it's small budget. I own it and I certainly don't regret that purchase. Fantastic film and family friendly (just kidding)

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

Just now, cdsacken said:

Van Wilder did awesome.

And Van Wilder was like two decades ago. This has always been his brand of comedy. It’s nothing new if you have watched his films over the years. Van Wilder, Just Friends, Waiting etc 

He starts flopping when he tries to make more serious films partly because no one takes him seriously (the movies also suck but like anytime he’s serious I’m just waiting for the punchline) So I’m happy he seems to be just sticking to what works for him. Like recently with The Hitman’s Bodyguard and now this movie. Hitman’s was successful enough to get a sequel. Will see if this one is able to as well. 

• Like 2

This definitely feels like Disney wants this to be a hit. Out of the summer films they have, this is the one that gets the trailer placed in front Star Wars and Jumanji and whatnot. Ryan Reynolds is on fire, and Fox needs a  $150M+ hit badly after 2018 (in which Ford v Ferrari will have been their hoghest grosser), so we're in for a fairly aggressive marketing campaign.

I'm happy that Jodie Comer has received an excellent role in a tentpole; it seems like she deserves it.

• Like 1