YM!

CAYOM Y4: Predictions

4 hours ago, Blankments said:

Here's my response as the co-writer of the film: The Princess Diaries, unlike High School Musical, has not retained kid audiences over the years. However, it is viewed as a gateway for early loves for Anne Hathaway and Chris Pine among many people. A PG-13 doesn't limit kids from being taken, and indeed, the subplot with Storm Reid and Chris Pine is meant to appeal to kids even if the rest of the movie is aiming over. Although the film does take itself more seriously than the others, it's meant to be growing up with the audience, and I think it's still a very breezy film despite the political plot. The main demographic for this film is women in their 20s and up and to be a good date night film. Summer is lacking in that a ton, and I will be very surprised if it does sub-100M DOM considering it's competition. In all honesty, I find your predict baffling; I'd find 33M DOM a somewhat low-tracking OW for this.

I also don't know why I would release a kid-targeted movie right before Amulet anyway lol

The problem I have is that these predictions would mean maintaining over 76% of the audience for the original film. It was successful at the time but it's not exactly considered a classic. A cult classic at best. You say it's growing up with the audience, which is fine, but even if a PG-13 doesn't PREVENT kids from going it'd likely make people far less likely to take the kids (and the kids far more likely to be bored). It's really not a "family film" in the sense the originals were (they were G) and it's not a soft reboot or anything; there's not much of an entry point for new viewers. So even if every single person who saw it as a kid went (highly unlikely), their parents probably wouldn't go with them, if they have kids they're less likely to take them, et cetera. And a date night movie typically means two people in attendance whereas in a G-rated family film it's often big families with lots of kids. Even with Hathaway and Pine being more famous now I can't fathom that amounts to only a 24% drop in attendance. Even The Princess Diaries 2 had a 20% attendance drop from the original, and that was just three years later when the franchise was still relevant and still had a G rating. Nostalgia is great but this property isn't exactly Jurassic Park.

Given that it’s opening in the summer that is overly crowded with action films, I’d say Princess Diaries 3 would do well enough on its own and stand out from the crowd. I could see Mamma Mia 2 numbers for it personally.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

September

Citizen Welles - $12.5m/$15.9m/$36.6m

Tulpa - $19.5m/$24m/$53.4m

Big Enough - $7m/$16.4m

Outside Man - $18.3m/$43.7m

The Swarm - $38.5m/$109.3m

Lucid - $40.1m/$123.5m

The Second Crash Bandicoot - $42m/$144.4m

October

Jonny Jonny - $13.7m/$31.8m