Bluebomb

Intouchables OS - 409.0m!

It started very well in SK with 393'000 admissions (number two).I have no idea, however, what that means for the Asian market.

It doesn't mean much. The opening in Taiwan will be more indicative of how it performs around Asia (including the 5 Southeast Asian markets).

A remake could potentially be a huge hit in America where the original would only have limited appeal, it's going to do $300m from OS alone and that's without the English Language countries like UK and Australia. I think it'll do $10-15m in the US, it still doesn't have a UK or Aus date yet.

It is also opening well here for a French movie. It won't need a lot to become the biggest here in years. It may do it in 10 days during Easter holidays with with some solid results.

Edited by CJohn

Remakes don't always come out as good as the original. I wanted to get it released in US just like it is. Maybe the actors themselves could voice the dub to increase the appeal in English-speaking countries.

I thought it was already announced a long time ago.

I wasn't announced, the Weinsteins just had bought the rights to do an english remake long ago.

"Next, announced by Variety just moments ago, Bridesmaids director Paul Feig is in early negotiations to direct the English-language remake for The Weinstein Company, and Colin Firth is in early talks to star in the role played by François Cluzet. Variety says there's no script yet, but the Weinsteins are expected to hire a writer shortly, and a fall production start date is planned."

This article discusses the problems of a remake:

http://blogs.indiewi...ould-play-driss

The remake of french comedy Trois Hommes et un Couffin (Three Men and a Baby) made more than 300 mio USD adjusted in the USA in 1987. It was a hit in France -- but not the same league as Intouchables.I still think a remake for Intouchables doesn't make too much sense. Intouchables already proved it worked in many markets, why not USA/UK/Australia?

I still think a remake for Intouchables doesn't make too much sense. Intouchables already proved it worked in many markets, why not USA/UK/Australia?

Because Europe isn't North America. I'm sure there are cultural elements in the film that only Europeans will be able to identify with although the premise remains largely of the relationship between the two characters. Though South Korea's gross is encouraging, it doesn't mean it will be a hit in all territories.I think they're going for a remake ala The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. They want it to make the most money possible and a remake would stand the best chance of doing that. Dubbing it over or subbing it would alienate a big chunk of the movie-going public in English speaking countries because they don't want to read subtitles nor look at the picture out of sync.That is what I assume they're feeling when it comes to supersized hits like this.

Yes, but does it make sense? They only have USA and some other markets to break even. Something like Three Men and a Baby was a local comedy that got a remake and was sold to the rest of the world. (LIke True lies, which was also based on a french flick.) They can't repeat the same pattern with Intouchables. Let's see.