NickDisney13

Gretel and Hansel | Jan 31 2020 | Orion Pictures | Sophia Lillis

I don't think this is going to be that great a movie, but I'm such a sucker for period horrors. It's one of the reasons I love The Witch so much. I know this won't come close to that but I still love the old aesthetic so yeah, I'll probably go see this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

So in the middle of the film it becomes a cooking show?

Sorry, still think this won't come near being as good as Hansel and Gretel, Witch Hunters. That's the one starring Hawkeye

Funny you say that. I thought Renner's Hansel and Gretel was beyond stupid. This movie might be bad too but I just dig the aesthetic and tone more.

13 hours ago, JB33 said:

Funny you say that. I thought Renner's Hansel and Gretel was beyond stupid. This movie might be bad too but I just dig the aesthetic and tone more.

If you went to he Renner film expecting a 100% serious take on the movie, you were in for a disappointment. It was meant to be a horror comedy mix, and I think it worked really well.

This could be bad but I still think it can do well at the box office. Nothing too crazy but a mid teens OW wouldn’t surprise me. 

Edit: box office pro predicts this around $5M OW so umm yea never mind 

Edited by Nova

On 1/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, dudalb said:

If you went to he Renner film expecting a 100% serious take on the movie, you were in for a disappointment. It was meant to be a horror comedy mix, and I think it worked really well.

It wasn't that I expected something and then got something else. I just didn't like it period, whereas this one, like I said, has a tone and aesthetic I can at least appreciate a little more.

On 1/18/2020 at 5:42 AM, Nova said:

This could be bad but I still think it can do well at the box office. Nothing too crazy but a mid teens OW wouldn’t surprise me. 

Edit: box office pro predicts this around $5M OW so umm yea never mind 

Geez, that's bad, but it's Super Bowl weekend. Some of the worst movies of the year get put on this weekend.

13 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Geez, that's bad, but it's Super Bowl weekend. Some of the worst movies of the year get put on this weekend.

Honestly if a studio got its shit together and released a really good movie directed at females, this weekend would do fine imo

And not even just female films....the first Taken did fine during this weekend although that was a while ago. I guess what I’m trying to say is there are shockingly some people who don’t have interest in the SB who wouldn’t mind going to the theaters this weekend. Give them something good, and it wouldn’t be too bad. Especially since there would be very little competition too. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nova said:

Honestly if a studio got its shit together and released a really good movie directed at females, this weekend would do fine imo

And not even just female films....the first Taken did fine during this weekend although that was a while ago. I guess what I’m trying to say is there are shockingly some people who don’t have interest in the SB who wouldn’t mind going to the theaters this weekend. Give them something good, and it wouldn’t be too bad. Especially since there would be very little competition too. 

I absolutely agree. Super Bowl weekend is a dump weekend is because the studio makes it so, whereas you can say audience habits dictates something like Labour Day weekend being a dump weekend.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I absolutely agree. Super Bowl weekend being a dump weekend is because the studio makes it so, whereas you can say audience habits dictates something like Labour Day weekend being a dump weekend.

Dear John and that dumb Hannah Montana movie made like $30M each. Again that was years ago but obviously there was an audience there. And it's not like the super bowl is the whole weekend. You're pretty much losing half of Sunday but on a normal non summer weekend, Sunday nights are pretty dead anyways so really you're losing a quarter of a day. Studios decided to just dump random ass movies there and well here we are :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Horror movies have a history of doing well on super bowl weekend. 

But this looks so unappealing, to me anyway. Wouldn’t be surprised if it did <$5m OW. 

Especially since it’s coming out the weekend after The Turning 

And this might just be too soon after the previous "reimagiing" of the Hansel and Gretel story.

But it's a low budget film that will not lose Orion much money no matter what happens.

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I don’t think The Turning is going to have much of an impact either. 

I think neither is going to be a hit.Nut then neither cost much anyway.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And this might just be too soon after the previous "reimagiing" of the Hansel and Gretel story.

But it's a low budget film that will not lose Orion much money no matter what happens.

I think neither is going to be a hit.Nut then neither cost much anyway.

What about Fantasy Island which comes out 2 weeks after this?