NickDisney13

Gretel and Hansel | Jan 31 2020 | Orion Pictures | Sophia Lillis

I absolutely can't wait for this movie from everything I've seen and the calibre of the director. Probably even to the point of it being in my 10 most anticipated of the year (assuming it comes out this year in the UK)

Seems absolutely inevitable that Joe Public will hate it though.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I absolutely can't wait for this movie from everything I've seen and the calibre of the director. Probably even to the point of it being in my 10 most anticipated of the year (assuming it comes out this year in the UK)

Seems absolutely inevitable that Joe Public will hate it though.

I also suspect a lot of Horror fans will not like it;it;s not your typical Horror movie.

I am now interested in seeing this after reading the reviews. Trailers were pretty bad and did nothing to sell the movie to me.

this was a cool feminist coming of age take on the Hansel & Gretel tale , just prefered the first hour over the last 20 minutes. (the VVitch & Hereditary comparisons are gone 40 minutes in). has more jump scares than your average A24 horror but still feels more stylish than what mainstream audiences are used for, still liked the score, tone & look of the film. 

Sophia Lillis as 2nd tier Anya-Taylor was also good. ending montage felt like something out of a superhero story (it's clear the director wants this to branch into a fairy tale franchise so all the power to him). 3/5

Also the voice overs felt like it was a producer's decision so audiences wouldn't get too confused w/ the plot. (ala Ad Astra :ph34r:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

3rd F CinemaScore of 2020?

That would be crazy, lol. 

I think this one isn't getting it. It's getting better reviews than both The Grudge and The Turning. 

The promotion and marketing were pretty much honest by saying this isn't a traditional and fun movie. The director gave several interviews. People really should look at his previous movies, to know what to expect.

Unless there's a problem with content, but I still have to watch the movie.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

29 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Unless there's a problem with content, but I still have to watc the movie.

it's just a darker take on this tale (so if some were expecting something lighthearted like previous versions they'll be disappointed), and other than the slow-pacing there's nothing in it that would piss off horror fans so that low audience score is shocking to me. 

6 hours ago, RealLyre said:

it's just a darker take on this tale (so if some were expecting something lighthearted like previous versions they'll be disappointed), and other than the slow-pacing there's nothing in it that would piss off horror fans so that low audience score is shocking to me. 

The slow pacing is enough to turn off a lot of modern horror fans. 

Too many of them are into "Shock Horror" something the depends on atmosphere and a slow build up bores them.

12 hours ago, RealLyre said:

this was a cool feminist coming of age take on the Hansel & Gretel tale , just prefered the first hour over the last 20 minutes. (the VVitch & Hereditary comparisons are gone 40 minutes in). has more jump scares than your average A24 horror but still feels more stylish than what mainstream audiences are used for, still liked the score, tone & look of the film. 

Sophia Lillis as 2nd tier Anya-Taylor was also good. ending montage felt like something out of a superhero story (it's clear the director wants this to branch into a fairy tale franchise so all the power to him). 3/5

Also the voice overs felt like it was a producer's decision so audiences wouldn't get too confused w/ the plot. (ala Ad Astra :ph34r:)

"Blade Runner" says hi...…………..

On 1/27/2020 at 5:42 PM, Blaze Heatnix said:

Someone claimed to have watched a screening for this movie. The user said the flick is very odd, very uncomfortable, full of weird stuff and some stuff that comes from nowhere. The user also said this felt like a A24 movie.

That sounds....good to me!

• Like 2