CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's apparently not a showy performance. Right now he's number five for me. Bale and Cooper are in. Malek is apparently great in Bohemian Rhaspody, a showy role in what should be a hit. Mortensen has gotten big praise for Green Book. While not as much as Ali, he's a well-liked actor given a meaty role in a probable Best Picture nom that should make good money. I think they probably want to nominate Redford one more time, and Old Man and the Gun is their chance. And in a big upset....I think Ethan Hawke maybe makes it. There's been alot of talk about Hawke this year for being a generational icon and all that, felt like the year we really came to appreciate him. And his performance in First Reformed is probably still the most praised of the year. If that movie came out in November instead of June, he would be a mortal lock. As it stands, I think he has a puncher's chance, competing with Gosling and Redford.

I have Malek in my current top 5 but he doesn't feel strong at all (he's likely gonna end up the film's one shot at a nomination and could easily fall through the cracks). And if Redford didn't for All is Lost five years ago, I doubt the Academy's gonna be eager to nominate him for a film that's looking to be an even bigger non-factor (plus Redford's been talking recently about how he might do one more film).

Also if the Mule is good (questionable) and a hit (if it's good, I think this is likely) I won't rule out Clint Eastwood at all tbf. I don't want that to happen for extremely obvious and predictable reasons, but it sure is possible. If it's his last movie he's an even bigger legend than Redford. 

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Also, I should mention that Gosling's performance definitely isn't showy. It's very good, but pretty underplayed.

why am i not surprised? you just described most of his performances. Underplayed or under acted?  He booooooores me. very unexciting actor imo

Edited by Alli

7 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Best Actress was competitive that year. Best Actor this year isn't, especially with tepid WOM of Bohemian Rhapsody recently coming out.

Ehh the Academy nominated Meryl Streep that year when they could have nominated the actress whose movie got 8 nominations including best picture and was carried by her. 

I don't hold my breath on automatic noms for an actor or an actress just because a film gets best picture/ a certain amount of nominations. 

Edited by Nova

Just now, Nova said:

Ehh the Academy nominated Meryl Streep that year when they could have nominated the actress whose movie got 8 nominations including best picture and was carried by her. 

Meryl is Meryl and she was playing a real person (meaning she had a baitier role). Ruth Negga (the sole nomination for her film) is likely what caused the Adams snub.

Saw about 14 different trailers at sold out showings of ASIB and Venom this weekend. Three in particular got big, positive reactions: Vice, Creed II, and Bohemian Rhaspody. Aquamayne got some buzz, but that was to be expected from this crowd. I think those three seem like smart bets to be the big adult hits of the fall season. 

Also, my audience straight up clapped when they first showed Michael B Jordan in the Creed 2 trailer. My theater probably leans alot more diverse than most but still...dude is a month away from being confirmed as one of the last true male draws in Hollywood.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also if the Mule is good (questionable) and a hit (if it's good, I think this is likely) I won't rule out Clint Eastwood at all tbf. I don't want that to happen for extremely obvious and predictable reasons, but it sure is possible. If it's his last movie he's an even bigger legend than Redford. 

I think WB is confident of The Mule's chances at least box office wise hence why it's being rushed to December. 

Just now, filmlover said:

Meryl is Meryl and she was playing a real person (meaning she had a baitier role). Ruth Negga (the sole nomination for her film) is likely what caused the Adams snub.

All I know is that Amy Adams was snubbed that year despite her film getting 8 nominations including best picture. 

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Saw about 14 different trailers at sold out showings of ASIB and Venom this weekend. Three in particular got big, positive reactions: Vice, Creed II, and Bohemian Rhaspody. Aquamayne got some buzz, but that was to be expected from this crowd. I think those three seem like smart bets to be the big adult hits of the fall season. 

Also, my audience straight up clapped when they first showed Michael B Jordan in the Creed 2 trailer. My theater probably leans alot more diverse than most but still...dude is a month away from being confirmed as one of the last true male draws in Hollywood.

When I got the first trailer for Creed II in front of Jurassic World and Ant-Man, both times my theater were loudly and excitedly chatting to each other when the trailer ended. Granted I live in a suburban area near Philadelphia, but there seems to be a real sense of genuine excitement for this, way more than I would have expected.

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Creed 2 will be huge. Everybody loved the first one and thus one looks even better

• Thanks 1

The only trailer I got at both ASIB and Venom was Fantastic Beasts, and I'm gonna be honest folks....there wasn't any buzz or chatter at all in either showing. My theater could be an outlier, but they sold out 11 screens for DH2 midnights. I don't know. The first one didn't stick with a ton of people and the buzz for this is decidedly quiet, lean negative because of all the Depp stuff.

24 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ehhh....

Like most actors he's a draw in certain kinds of movies or certain roles.  This will just conform he sells as Creed in as much as being part of Rocky isn't still being sold by Stallone as Rocky.   Black Panther wasn't sold on him and his name did little for Fahrenheit 451.   His next film scheduled to be released is Just Mercy in 2020.  That will show the carry over from Creed.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

Granted I tend to roll with younger/more diverse/more progressive crowds but all my friends just love the dude. His posts on Instagram all catch fire and he's on every magazine cover there is. I just happen to think the dude is a draw. I'd say like pretty much every non Leo or Rock draw he's value added, where he needs the right role and part. But in terms of male draws in Hollywood, I say it is Leo, Rock, Denzel, Cruise, Hart, Cooper, Jackman, Hanks....and then Jordan is right there with the best of the rest. I think people saying that Pitt or Will Smith or George Clooney or Johnny Depp are big draws outside of certain perfect roles in the year 2018 are kinda kidding themselves.