CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

WAIT. He did Venom too?

Black Swan and mother! Matthew Libatique?

:winomg: :winomg: :winomg: :winomg: :winomg: :winomg: :winomg: :winomg: 

Honestly he does a lot of just serviceable work outside of the aronofsky films. Though Star is born is probably his career best

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Considering Venom only cost $100m to make, I'm sure Sony would be happy if it reaches $300m worldwide which should be possible.

i don't know if they will be happy with 300 ww despite the profit, as the following movie in the franchise will carry a bigger budget and may not necessarily show growth.

if this one does not do 450-500 ww then the next one may not be greenlit. cause if V2 has a budget of 125-150, then the same/big less global cume as V1 may not be enough to show a decent profit.

i think V1 will make it to 500 ww (150 dom + 350 os).

2 hours ago, dtairdryZid said:

Venom audience scores

Metacritic audience score at 5.5 w/ 19 votes

7.1 - IMBD

89% - Rotten Tomatoes

Honestly I dismiss the Rotten Tomatoes audience score nowadays. 

Bot campaigns to lower scores, the score count starting from the "want to see score", studios using bots to post fake reviews (Gotti and Jigsaw).

The thing is too flawed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, miketheavenger said:

Considering Venom only cost $100m to make, I'm sure Sony would be happy if it reaches $300m worldwide which should be possible.

It's not how things work. 300 WW would be a failure, especially if it includes China. It should make at least 500 WW to be successful and 600+ WW to guarantee a sequel, considering bad reception of the first one.

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

I told all of you that @CJohn would be back. Like a phoenix. Except my money was on when Bumblebee came out because JOHN C-NAH.

I won't be around for that but I will still support John Cena with all my heart.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's not how things work. 300 WW would be a failure, especially if it includes China. It should make at least 500 WW to be successful and 600+ WW to guarantee a sequel, considering bad reception of the first one.

2 hours ago, a2k said:

i don't know if they will be happy with 300 ww despite the profit, as the following movie in the franchise will carry a bigger budget and may not necessarily show growth.

if this one does not do 450-500 ww then the next one may not be greenlit. cause if V2 has a budget of 125-150, then the same/big less global cume as V1 may not be enough to show a decent profit.

i think V1 will make it to 500 ww (150 dom + 350 os).

Those are good points. I only thought about the comparatively low budget and didn't factor in the potentially bad reception. It remains to be seen whether audiences will agree with critics on this one, though judging from early reactions it seems like they will.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Those are good points. I only thought about the comparatively low budget and didn't factor in the potentially bad reception. It remains to be seen whether audiences will agree with critics on this one, though judging from early reactions it seems like they will.

Venom doesn't need to make $600M to be profitable BUT I would say somewhere between $400M-$500M is what they need. However something to consider are the domestic numbers. If this makes less than $150M domestically, then I don't think Sony is going to be pleased because the reality is that a poorly received first film is most likely to decrease when a sequel is released. 

It all depends on what you think is a success for Sony though. Is it just making a profit on this movie and this movie alone or is it about trying to start a universe? If it's the former, then I would say it is pretty hard for Sony NOT to make a profit off of Venom. If it is the latter, well we have to see what the final numbers are looking like.