CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

I thought this thread would be going stronger. It's a record-breaking weekend incoming guys, the most exciting thing that happened in BO in a while! Forum is a bit sleepy.

Can't wait to watch Venom tomorrow.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'd rather see a star is reborn. btw they've done this movie 4 times they can't gender flip it once? it would be kind of interesting i guess. guess i gotta wait for the 2047 version.

I'm not sure if a gender flipped version of ASIB would work but actually would be interesting but I suspect WB won't remake it again for another 20-30 years. 

Wow, Venom is BVS and Suicide Squad all over again: hated by critics, but loved by audiences.

The media tried to turn this movie into a joke ever since the first trailer emerged. In the meantime, audiences were getting hyped. Not even horrible reviews managed to kill the excitement. 

Why does this huge disconnect between critics and fans only happens with Marvel Studio rivals?

I'm not saying I believe in the conspiracy theories myself, but I have to admit, comic book fans do have a point. This is weird.

I can only imagine. Would these movies have done even bigger numbers had they had a positive media coverage from the beginning, and had they received fair reviews?

One would think that some company saw a $100M OW coming from Venom, a $200M OW for BVS, a $150M OW for SS, and seeing how that would make them look bad, decided to take action in order to diminish their results?

I doubt it, but it's weird.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just got back from Venom. While ASIB is a better film, I had a better time at Venom. Didn’t check my watch once.

But, again, ASIB has better characters that you actually care about. This is a great weekend to see two films. I was not disappointed by either.

I saw ASIB in Dolby and Venom in IMAX. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Wow, Venom is BVS and Suicide Squad all over again: hated by critics, but loved by audiences.

The media tried to turn this movie into a joke ever since the first trailer emerged. In the meantime, audiences were getting hyped. Not even horrible reviews managed to kill the excitement. 

Why does this huge disconnect between critics and fans only happens with Marvel Studio rivals?

I'm not saying I believe in the conspiracy theories myself, but I have to admit, comic book fans do have a point. This is weird.

I can only imagine. Would these movies have done even bigger numbers had they had a positive media coverage from the beginning, and had they received fair reviews?

One would think that some company saw a $100M OW coming from Venom, a $200M OW for BVS, a $150M OW for SS, and seeing how that would make them look bad, decided to take action in order to diminish their results?

Idk if I'd say bvs was loved by audiences. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This conspiracy theory ends since DOFP, Logan and both Deadpool films which are Fox produced Marvel films and not Disney produced Marvel films got very good reviews by critics.

Furthermore, considering many folks in the GA think Venom is an MCU film, it's not exactly good that it got bad reviews. Majority of movie going folks don't see these Marvel movies as Disney, Fox and Sony. They just see them as Marvel films which is why its in Disney's best interest that all Marvel films whether released by Fox or Sony or them, are well received. 

There is no "point" that CBM fans have. At all. Plenty of films outside of CBM get bad reviews and then audiences like them. Then there are films that get good reviews and audiences don't like them. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

ASIB was amazeballs. Definitely expect this to develop ungodly sexy legs.

Agreed.

This type of movies can become leggy monsters.

We ll se but ASIB has a chance to do so.

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Bad examples. Audience don't love BvS and SS. At least JL's underperformance of opening showed BvS threw most audience & some core fans out. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Remember how BVS was so beloved nobody chose to watch it’s follow up, Justice League, on its opening weekend?

BVS was a movie so amazing the world looked at the poster for Justice League (the biggest superhero group on earth. Far more valuable than The Avengers) and said “nah. Fuck that shit. I’d rather watch Thor bounce around in space”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Bad examples. Audience don't love BvS and SS. At least JL's underperformance of opening showed BvS threw most audience & some core fans out. 

Or ya know BvS 1.99x multiplier but yea Justice League's underperformance just confirms it :bagoverhead:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

This conspiracy theory ends since DOFP, Logan and both Deadpool films which are Fox produced Marvel films and not Disney produced Marvel films got very good reviews by critics.

Furthermore, considering many folks in the GA think Venom is an MCU film, it's not exactly good that it got bad reviews. Majority of movie going folks don't see these Marvel movies as Disney, Fox and Sony. They just see them as Marvel films which is why its in Disney's best interest that all Marvel films whether released by Fox or Sony or them, are well received. 

I overheard some folks the other day talking about Aquaman and saying its the next MCU film.

I'm sure they're not alone.

There's going to be a few disappointed folks next May when Aquaman doesn't show up in the next Avengers.

(Well, I doubt people will be disappointed after watching the next Avengers, but perhaps they'll be a little confused by the lack of Aquaman.)

• Haha 5
  • Disbelief 1