CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

Conservatively,

20.5 (+21%)

12.5 (-39%)

= 60

Martian was +42% from true Friday. Venom should not do as low as half that even though as CBM and non-original content it's won't reach the same heights. Hoping for +25%,

22.5 (+25%)

14.5 (-36%)

= 65

Reviews were wrong per the usual in recent times.  Too many bloggers unfit of critiquing movies,  masquerading as experts in film.  Venom was enjoyable and Hardy was very entertaining.  It's not a perfect movie but the people comparing it to Catwoman,  it was just for clicks.  

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, AJG said:

Remember how BVS was so beloved nobody chose to watch it’s follow up, Justice League, on its opening weekend?

Wrong.  BvS made the money it needed to.   Justice League was doomed once Snyder had to leave the production. It turned into a blend of his stlye and Whedon's...  and nobody was going to be happy with that.  

The only thing that would have made me happy is if they never brought Whedon in the first place. He's a hack. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

It’s so cute seeing you in full Gaga stan mode again Nicole. You should comeback to Atrl and spread the love. 

88 on MC, I always knew she'd erase Britney but I wasn't expecting her to remove all forensic evidence that she ever existed. Still need to see the movie and decide for myself, though. 

28 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Wrong.  BvS made the money it needed to.   Justice League was doomed once Snyder had to leave the production. It turned into a blend of his stlye and Whedon's...  and nobody was going to be happy with that.  

The only thing that would have made me happy is if they never brought Whedon in the first place. He's a hack. 

Yep. The movie where Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman teamed up for the first time made less than Batman solo, a second Spider-Man reboot, and a sequel to a movie about a talking raccoon in space. If what they were aiming for was what they got then they were aiming very low.

Nobody knew what Justice League was like from before opening weekend. Blaming a director switch on the poor previews and poor OW is ridiculous. By most accounts JL was far better received than BVS, the problem was that nobody cared.

Edited by AJG
  • Thanks 1

I saw Venom tonight and it's such a nothing movie that I fail to see it inspiring any fan wars on any sides. It really does feel like something that would've occupied movie screens around the same time as Daredevil with Ben Affleck.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Wrong.

BvS made money but was a financial disappointment which is why some heads rolled at WB. 

JL was doomed as soon as they decided to go ahead and make JL with Snyder who half the execs wanted gone and then they failed to actually supervise the film or do their job as execs until it was too late and they realized it was another shit show then scrambled to fix it on the cheap and in a rush with Whedon so they could all get their bonuses b/4 the AT&T merger.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I saw Venom tonight and it's such a nothing movie that I fail to see it inspiring any fan wars on any sides. It really does feel like something that would've occupied movie screens around the same time as Daredevil with Ben Affleck.

It does amaze me that something so incompetent could inspire enjoyment, but to each their own. 

Edited by tonytr87