CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I saw Venom tonight and it's such a nothing movie that I fail to see it inspiring any fan wars on any sides. It really does feel like something that would've occupied movie screens around the same time as Daredevil with Ben Affleck.

Just Rothman reliving his mid 2000s tenure making CBM at Fox (Daredevil, Elektra, FF1 & 2, The Last Stand, Wolvie 1)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

88 on MC, I always knew she'd erase Britney but I wasn't expecting her to remove all forensic evidence that she ever existed. Still need to see the movie and decide for myself, though. 

Speaking of erased - kinda sums up Gaga’s music career since 2013. So happy she managed to switch careers after 5 years of dipping her big nose into every field in the entertainment industry  (and failing).   

I’ll stay perched for your review of ASIB. @ Me :Gaga:

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Just Rothman reliving his mid 2000s tenure making CBM at Fox (Daredevil, Elektra, FF1 & 2, The Last Stand, Wolvie 1)

Feige was around on those but serving coffee I guess.

He was young too at that time.

I still wonder how he managed to climb the ladder so fast and get those hundreds of millions of credits from banks to start up the MCU.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I saw Venom tonight and it's such a nothing movie that I fail to see it inspiring any fan wars on any sides. It really does feel like something that would've occupied movie screens around the same time as Daredevil with Ben Affleck.

It’s been way too long since I’ve seen a movie this poorly made yet not depressingly dreadful. There used to be tons of films like this. The shitiness of Venom is almost part of the charm of Venom and it feels 100% unintentional. 

• Like 1

Lol at people who always put the best movies of an era to put them against all the movies of the current era, trying to have an argument and say the movies of the past were way better.

Yeah, back in the late 90's, Early 2000's, the superhero market was flooded with Spiderman 2s.

Sure, Jan.

Suuuuuure.

It s a reassuring delusion to have I guess.

Selective Memory has always been hilarious to me.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Venom getting a B+ shows why cinemascore should avoid polling just fanboys on opening night 

:hahaha:

I could see why it got that score. That’s the “it’s OK but it could be better” score

18 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

It does amaze me that something so incompetent could inspire enjoyment, but to each their own. 

From a broad perspective, incompetent movies can occasionally be highly entertaining and enjoyable, look at stuff like MST3K or Best of the Worst, and if you've ever watched bad movies with a friend or even alone just for a laugh, then you've been there.

On the specific case of Venom, it was a mostly fair movie, but I got the most enjoyment out of the parts that were intentionally meant to be enjoyable. The parts where Hardy was being all crazy and funny. So the filmmakers couldn't have been that incompetent, because they really did nail the fun parts.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Feige was around on those but serving coffee I guess.

He was young too at that time.

I still wonder how he managed to climb the ladder so fast and get those hundreds of millions of credits from banks to start up the MCU.

He was giving ideas and they were very good ones which is why he was promoted by Donner and then swiped by Arad for Marvel (and Arad was the one that hustled and pushed Fox and Sony to make X-Men and SM).  But Feige didn't have any decisive power. 

The financial success of Marvel properties & their remaining intellectual property under their control, is what got Marvel Studios (then headed by and financially driven by Maisel) revolving credit with their IP as collateral.  The desire to make their own movies was driven by wanting to have more control and chafing under the small % they got from theatrical and the almost non existent money they got from the enormous DVD sales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, AJG said:

It’s been way too long since I’ve seen a movie this poorly made yet not depressingly dreadful. There used to be tons of films like this. The shitiness of Venom is almost part of the charm of Venom and it feels 100% unintentional. 

Truly, this movie reminded me more or less of Hollow Man circa 2000.. a movie that's clearly BAD but also just enjoyably bad. 

A blast from he past from Rothman and most seem to have forgotten about Maisel and what he contributed to Marvel Studios. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/business/media/18marvel.html

Veteran Hollywood insiders raised other caveats about the Marvel arrangement, including the company’s dependency on major studios for setting their marketing budgets and for overseeing distribution. The studios have been known to pay more attention to their own movies rather than those made elsewhere.

Additionally, Marvel’s slate of up to 10 films will be based on second-tier superheroes, who may not resonate with younger moviegoers. With the major studios continuing to pump out blockbusters based on the better-known Marvel characters, it could lead to a glut of the genre.

Tom Rothman, co-chairman of Fox Filmed Entertainment, was not worried, however. “It’s not a competitive issue,” he said. “We are used to competition. It doesn’t matter who you’re competing with. Ultimately, it’s a meritocracy.”

Some of Mr. Maisel’s casting choices have veered from the typical Hollywood bet. In the case of the $135 million “Iron Man,” for example, Marvel chose Mr. Downey, 42, to play the millionaire industrialist Tony Stark, an actor well beyond the demographic of the movie’s natural fan base of adolescent boys.

Mr. Maisel becomes animated when defending his hires. “Our films are as much about the man as the superhero,” he said. “These are great actors who will appeal to adults. We set this up to appeal to everyone.”

Mr. Maisel has been in Hollywood for more than a decade, but is largely an unknown figure to the public. A Harvard M.B.A. who collects comic hero figurines, he is slight and soft-spoken, citing major Hollywood moguls as his mentors and peers — Robert A. Iger, the Walt Disney chief executive, and Ron Meyer, the Universal Studios president and chief operating officer — though none so fondly as Mr. Ovitz, whom he reverentially refers to as Michael.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to the local pub cinema to see A Star Is Born tonight, and the place was bustling all night with sellouts for both shows of that film and Venom.

Nevermind the squabbling and nevermind the quality of either film (though I'll go on record in lauding A Star Is Born as my favorite film of the year to date and a strong possibility to retain that #1 spot by year's end); it's damn good to see two films delivering strong numbers in the same weekend.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I thought this thread would be going stronger. It's a record-breaking weekend incoming guys, the most exciting thing that happened in BO in a while! Forum is a bit sleepy.

Can't wait to watch Venom tomorrow.

70M would be good for #1 October OW... and also not a top 100 OW overall. As records go this is a pretty meager one, so it doesn’t surprise me to see a relatively subdued thread.

The revisionist history some of you have...  :lol:    The "scrambling around" was because Snyder's daughter had passed away and they needed to plug someone in to finish the movie.  Problem is they picked a polar fucking opposite director who decided to tinker with the action sequences and throw in potty humor and shots of Wonder Woman's ass..   

But the part about nobody caring to see it...  that's true.  I Redbox'd that trash. 

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2018/10/venom-a-star-is-born-weekend-box-office-lady-gaga-1202476614/

Friday coming in hot with 22m for Venom according to deadline

10+22+25+15 = 72 minimum. They're estimating 77-80 and 44m for Star.

Interestingly they also say that after tax credits production cost $116m and that they've "been told that a $450m global take ultimately gets Venom to break even during its theatrical release".

Edited by MattW
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

18 minutes ago, MattW said:

https://deadline.com/2018/10/venom-a-star-is-born-weekend-box-office-lady-gaga-1202476614/

Friday coming in hot with 22m for Venom according to deadline

10+22+25+15 = 72 minimum. They're estimating 77-80 and 44m for Star.

Interestingly they also say that after tax credits production cost $116m and that they've "been told that a $450m global take ultimately gets Venom to break even during its theatrical release".

HYYYYUUUUGGGGGE