CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

So, the spouse and I saw Venom...and we echo a lot of thoughts, here.  We both gave it a B/B-...it doesn't try too hard and it's good it doesn't try too hard (my spouse called it "safe")...we think the movie length was just right, although we probably would have taken 5 minutes from act 1 and pushed it to act 3 for a particular purpose (which would be a spoiler, so I'll mention that elsewhere).  The best part is obviously Hardy and Venom...by far.  I wasn't bothered by the other acting - it was servicable, if not spectacular.  

The other best part is that it told a complete story...one that is easy to follow and easy to progress and didn't fall into wasted plotlines, confusing and dropped characters/scenes, etc...

We liked it...and are happy we paid what we did.  It's not a Friday night premium viewing priced worthy ticket.  But a matinee ticket with a discount - perfect!

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

On 10/4/2018 at 5:13 PM, CJohn said:

bJcII6E.gif

Venom-One-Sheet.jpg

I woke today thinking about what do to to enjoy the fact that tomorrow is a holiday. And what better to do than celebrate the last big weekend of the year by seeing Venom and BAH GAWD what a ride that was. It inspired me for a one weekend only return to BOT, this forsaken and wretched hive of scum and villany in the Internet.

ySDkC87.gif

In my days spent in the fortess of solitude, with no time for anything but to eat, sleep and work, BOT was always in my heart, as were the good people of here. I have been... taken by adulthood. I am sure a lot has changed in my time away. I still kept contact with a few members ( @MrPink 😍 ) that helped me in my hard times, and listening to my insane ramblings and rants against THE SYSTEM. But now, I decided to come back to the light for a few short days to see how things are in paradise.

a_star_is_born___movie_poster_by_notears

But lets get to the main topic of the week that is Ruben Fleischer Tom Rothman's VENOM. And bah gawd what a holy mess of greatness that is. And we are here together to celebrate the beginning of the SONY UNIVERSE OF MARVEL CHARACTERS. I don't know how things are going here with mods nowadays, but it seems like if they ever get into this thread... there will be carnage. Trolls, crazy lunatic fanboys, fucking younglings... so many bans, so little time @aabattery. Giant leaps will always come... at a cost. I will certainly need to behave, or else...

tumblr_pcr66gCq6I1wlhippo3_540.gif

Anyway guys, are spoilers still a ban worthy thing? Because this might be my first and lost post in a while if those are (jk I can't be banned, I am still all powerful and mighty). I am really not sure why I am posting this early. Guidelines? Fuck those, the world has enough @grim22s anyway. Go wild. Post stupid shit. Spoil the entirity of Venom to everyone. Maybe in a smart way where tecnically you can't be banned 👀 Btw these new emojis? UGLY AF. Where are the classic ones? What you silly mods done? Fucking hell guys. I was so happy when I started writing this and now I am mad. 😒

s8yT4gZU_400x400.jpg

Also, 100+ notifications?! What in the actual ass?!? Not a single message tho, fuck you guys 😒 Anyways, don't forget to donate as well. We have ALL OF SUMC ahead of us and Lady Gaga winning an Oscar as well. Plus, don't forget the moment when SUMC inevitably crosses over with the MCU and we get TOM HARDY vs TOM HOLLAND BAH GAWD FAM 2 BILLION DOLLARS AMY PASCAL HAS DREAMED WITH THIS SINCE FOREVAH!!!!!

bd444e70d979ca76ce1060dca64a0e8a.gif

Anyway guys, follow the rules, be nice to each other and don't post spoilers. Spoilers are bad. They hurt my feelings. And then I will have to report you and I don't wanna do that. This is gonna be a great weekend and we should all be together to celebrate it. And on Sunday, I will return to my fortress of solitude to never be seen again until 2019. WE ARE VENOM FAM!

40454120_1966213716791551_49468718375071

You have to know the movie Commando to know what Bennett is saying here and how it pertains to @CJohn

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

40454120_1966213716791551_49468718375071

You have to know the movie Commando to know what Bennett is saying here and how it pertains to @CJohn

I might need to see Commando then 👀

• Like 1

Terrific numbers for both openers. Both films rode the hype and either capitalized on glowing reviews (A Star Is Born) or went unfazed by negative ones (Venom). With relatively modest budgets for their respective genres, they should both be really solid moneymakers for their studios.

And man, I'll bet Fox is glad they moved Bad Times at the El Royale off this spot. I think it looks like a fun movie, but it wouldn't have had a prayer of standing out against this 1-2 punch.

• Like 1

I was surprised to see the mixed reception for Venom... and then I wasn't.

Further proof of a deep generational chasm that divides boxofficetheory into two camps; the twentysomething film sophisticates with 15 to 20 years of top-shelf cinema consumption to their name, and an unruly kid crew with Zack snyder avatars and tributes to Christopher Nolan in their signatures. It's not that the latter generation is a lost cause entirely, but they've clearly never seen "Venom" — that is, they've never encountered a character quite as distinctive as Venoms. "But I know Venom! Spider-man 3 was the first movie I paid for!" First off, ask for a refund. And no, you don't know Venom, you know a very stilted and subdued version of the iconic character.  

The Venom of "this movie" is as he was intended to be. He very skillfully vacillates between a range of tones; he’s aggressive, then funny, then sexy, then aggressive again, then delicate. (And yes, that's how he’s supposed to be.) He’s sultry. He's goofy. He looks slightly absurd. He's fully engaged. He's expressive in ways that "technically superior" superheroes just aren't. He is brilliant. You have no idea how brilliant he is.  

This is the probably purest attempt at making a venom movie and it’s been made to harness some of that ineffable charm that made his early comics so irresistible. I adore it.

Edited by GraceRandolph
  • Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken, this weekend is looking to handily be the largest weekend ever in October, with $160-165+ million total gross for the top 12, besting the previous record of 142.7M when The Martian opened:

Row Rank Weekend Date / Wknd #  Top 12 Gross Theaters / Avg. New
Movies
#1 Movie Gross % of Total
1 253 Oct. 2–4, 2015 40 $142,708,444 30,018 $4,754 2 The Martian $54,308,575 38.1%
2 275 Oct. 3–5, 2014 40 $139,541,021 29,825 $4,679 4 Gone Girl $37,513,109 26.9%
3 306 Oct. 10–12, 2014 41 $135,718,063 29,275 $4,636 5 Gone Girl $26,406,134 19.5%
4 331 Oct. 5–7, 2012 40 $132,743,286 28,066 $4,730 2 Taken 2 $49,514,769 37.3%
5 387 Oct. 16–18, 2009 42 $127,600,527 27,248 $4,683 3 Where the Wild Things Are $32,695,407

25.6%

This will be the largest weekend ever during the September/October period.

Peace,

Mike

• Thanks 1

Always knew Tom Hardy wasn't a serious actor, clumsy and weak in drama.

Venom is the perfect home to express his awkward natural goofiness.

He ll do more Venoms than Reynolds will do Deadpools.

Yay !

Edited by The Futurist

Saw ASIB today. Great movie! Glad it’s going past tracking. It’ll hit a little lower than I predicted, but that’s okay. Might see Venom, also doing beyond tracking and higher than I predicted, tomorrow. 

HOLY SHIT BRADLEY COOPER DID THAT.

FlusteredEnlightenedGemsbok-size_restric

ASIB is gonna make SO MUCH MONEY between the crazy ass old people legs and the Oscar Release once it wins ALL THE AWARDS.

• Like 5

In other news, the documentary Free Solo is doing exceptionally well in a small amount of theaters! In regards to the Friday numbers, this film, in 11th place with $227,000, is only $13,000 away from The Predateder, the film in tenth place with $240,000. Are we about to witness a surprise entry in this weekend top ten? I sure hope so!

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Sorry to report that Venom is a very boring flick but Tom Hardy is sublime in it. Hard to explain how they managed this

Truly this is a very badly executed movie with horrible action and terrible dialogue but I feel like recommending it to people just cause Hardy is so watchable and fun. 

• Like 1