aabattery

A Star is Born (2018)

GRADE IT  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 10/8/2018 at 7:19 AM, ainsleyb said:

Really overhyped. Cooper both behind and in front of the camera is the best thing the film has going for it but a lot of the rest is generic.

There is one truly standout song which is played 4-5 times. The rest of the film jarringly goes between concert scenes to jack drinking to Gaga becoming world famous after a couple of shows. 

The story is so generic and obvious (ageing drunk musician) and a (self conscious girl with talent) that it’s hard to connect with the story or care too much about what happens to either of them. The Brit record producer is another bland character who’s every action is predictable.

overall it’s got one good song and a few well acted scenes but the story and characters are dull.

6/10

This is kind of how I feel, however Id rate it a tad higher. but everything you said is on point.

• Like 1

Saw this last night. Pretty good but marred by pacing and transition issues. Cooper and Gaga make a good pair and provide enough sparks to get the movie across the finish line even when it starts to fizzle out. 

Cooper makes some smart choices as a director (close-up on Gaga as she performs Shallow for the first time;  a garage door with flashing blue & red lights) and some poor ones (where's the editor when you need him?) 

It's very important that an R-rated studio drama like this does well at the box office, though, so good for its success. 

B

Oh and forgot to mention Sam Elliott even with all his mumbling gives the best performance in the movie. His scene backing up the car alone is nom worthy. 

Edited by La Binoche

On 10/14/2018 at 11:01 AM, Jim Shorts said:

Btw, has anyone caught this in Dolby?  

Was lucky to see it in Dolby and while at times it was a little too loud, I overall enjoyed the experience.

Overall, this was tremendous and it left a big emotional impact on me and the audience (one woman couldn't hold back the tears when it cut to Cooper hanging in the garage). I don't usually cry during movies but the ending kinda got to me. Gaga and Sam Elliott were the standouts for me, although the British manager like Coolio said is a character from a worse movie. Technically it's also an outstanding film, loved Libatique's cinematography and the sound really makes you feel like you're in the moment during the concert scenes.

I also had a problem with the editing in this. I felt like certain scenes were cut off short and didn't really play out long enough. Like when Gaga is smashing the posters towards the end, it cuts abruptly to the aftermath of that scene. It was a bit distracting at times, and it may have been a stylistic choice but it didn't really work for. But it was a minor problem I was willing to overlook.

As far as my Oscar predictions go, I'm fully expecting this to win Best Picture unless the new Cuaron joint does well in precursors. But regardless, this was excellent.

A-, maybe an A

I've seen it so far twice, both times at the same theatre and i don't know if this was on purpose or not but the movie is playing at two screens, both of them are next to each other and the shows are scheduled on a very peculiar way. Both times happened me that right when Jackson kills himself and Allie is alone on the house, the other side's screening is right exactly at the point when they sing Shallows at the concert and complements the silence, which makes it even more hurting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

although the British manager like Coolio said is a character from a worse movie.

See, I actually didn't have an issue with the manager character. The real "villain" of the movie is Jackson's addiction. The manager was a bit of an asshole for sure (especially for telling Jackson that he's gonna drag Ally down with him by allowing his cash cow to cancel her tour just so that she can take care of the husband who turned her big Grammys moment into a total embarrassment, which pushes him over the edge and leads him to taking his own life), but it wouldn't surprise me if there are many managers like that throughout the industry in real life. In fact, he felt more realistic than most characters like this usually do in movies.

10 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

I've seen it so far twice, both times at the same theatre and i don't know if this was on purpose or not but the movie is playing at two screens, both of them are next to each other and the shows are scheduled on a very peculiar way. Both times happened me that right when Jackson kills himself and Allie is alone on the house, the other side's screening is right exactly at the point when they sing Shallows at the concert and complements the silence, which makes it even more hurting.

When I saw First Man yesterday with ASIB in the auditorium next door, I could hear Shallow playing at a very dramatic moment lmao

btw, this movie has grown on me. I gave it a mild A-/borderline B+, but listening to the soundtrack has made the film stick more in my mind. Looking forward to getting the Blu-Ray when it’s out.

• Like 1

What a fucking brilliant film. As pointed, it's a film about a story a lot already knew but even for those of us who haven't watched the previous installments there is not much to get you surprised or particularly excited plot-wise.

However, the amazing leading performances, the stunning direction and the beautiful soundtrack makes this all so worth it.

Seriously, I have been following the praise about Lady Gaga but god did I not believe what I was seeing. She is such a natural it's amazing to see. For me, she oytperformed Coops for a lot of the film.

In addition, I also loved how minimalistic and yet effective the ending was. I loved that they didn't show him hanged or getting found and at the same time the pain was conveyed perfectly. The very last scene with Gaga singing "I will never love again" is heart-breaking. I am almost ready to write that I strike to love someone SO much in my life but then I think of all the possible pain and I am not sure I could take it. Props to everyone that worked in this film.

10/10

A+

Edited by FantasticBeasts

A Star is Born is seriously impressive. Cooper’s directorial debut is confident and almost always knows exactly what it’s doing. He steps back when he needs to and takes control when it’s necessary. The film feels timeless and perhaps it is. After all, the story has been remade countless times and it still feels like something we can’t keep our eyes away from. Gaga and Cooper are a duo that can’t be stopped in this film. Both of them deliver performances that are almost unfathomably good for both their characters. The music is memorable and utilized well; it’s a musical where the motifs always build in truly lovely ways. Libatique’s cinematography and the supporting performances all add to the feeling of something truly special happening before. A Star is Born is monumental, an engrossing tale of music, love and the harm we do to ourselves in the supposed service of others. A truly memorable film. A

Still highly enjoyable and the best points soar incredibly. That said, I can understand why people like the first act more than the second this go-around and although it’s still a very remarkable debut, the moments of sloppiness are much more evident now. A