SLAM!

BOT Revisiting: The Top 25 Movies of 1998 || Closed For Entries || "This will be the BEST LIST EVER!!" - me || Results on Page Seven

It was a time of style.

giphy.gif

It was a time of fun.

giphy.gif

It was a time of creativity.

giphy.gif

And it was a time of... two CGI-animated films of the same specific subgenre?!

220px-Antz-Poster.jpgs-l300.jpg

This year, I am going to host BOT's official 20-years-retrospective Top 25 list of films from the year 1998!

Any film that was released domestically during the year is eligible! Here is a link where you can find a comprehensive list, thought it might not include everything:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view=releasedate&view2=domestic&yr=1998&sort=title&order=ASC&p=.htm

Make sure to send me your lists in a private message, with at least ten films on it! My scoring process for each list is this:

1st Place: 10 pts

2nd Place: 9 pts

3rd Place: 8 pts

4th & 5th Place: 7 pts

6th & 7th Place: 6 pts

8th - 10th Place: 5 pts

11th - 13th Place: 4 pts

14th - 16th Place: 3 pts

17th - 20th Place: 2 pts

21st - 25th Place: 1 pt

(*Lists should not exceed twenty-five films.*)

If you have any questions about eligibility or availability, don't hesitate to ask me!

This is gonna be a great list! I'm certain of it!

And without further ado, let's compile the BEST LIST EVER!!

--------

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO THE 17TH!

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I haven't even seen that many films from 1998 yet. However, from those that I have seen, 1998 was a great year.

You referenced a few films but not the best (of those that I have seen so far):

American History X Poster

This film is just amazing, for me it's one of the all time greats.

The Big Lebowski Poster

Lebowski is simply hilarious, definitely a must see.

Also you mentioned two good CGI animations that will be on my list, but there is a traditional animation that is better than either of those:

The Prince of Egypt Poster

Edited by Tower
  • Like 4

One film that I had the pleasure of watching in my film studies class:

v1.bTsxMTI5MjUwNDtqOzE3OTA1OzEyMDA7MTUwO

Following other countries in their tradition of becoming famous for movements such as the New Wave, Expressionism, and Neorealism, the danish burst out of the gate with their own filmmaking movement: Dogme 95. And this film, The Celebration, was the film that led the movement's way. I think it's an excellent film, one unlike any other, and it certainly deserves to be in the conversation.

• Like 1

This is a very interesting year.

I wonder where in my Top 3 I will place Out of Sight.

The X Files will be in my Top 10 as the movie was definitely in the now back in 1998 even if it is a little dated now.

Living Out Loud, an otherwise terrible movie, will make my list around #25 simply due to one glorious scene.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 1

Could we do foreign movies that premiered at their country of origin in '98? pretty please? There's some foreign movies like Run Lola Run and Kirikou and the Sorceress that are being listed as 1998 movies everywhere. I understand why we 're going by US-release in recent years but 20 years ago? who cares? Many foreign movies were premiering 2-3 years after their release in the US back then.

44 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Could we do foreign movies that premiered at their country of origin in '98? pretty please? There's some foreign movies like Run Lola Run and Kirikou and the Sorceress that are being listed as 1998 movies everywhere. I understand why we 're going by US-release in recent years but 20 years ago? who cares? Many foreign movies were premiering 2-3 years after their release in the US back then.

I'll allow it. Though if a film that is under that predicament makes the list, it would be courteous to have the film be ineligible for an eventual 1999 one -- keep that in mind as you curate the list.

I'm pretty passionate about Run Lola Run myself, so I'll probably vote for that film as well.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Princess Mononoke released in 1997 in Japan and 1999 in USA :( 

But it was released in Germany in 1998... maybe Germany can count :D 

It was already on the 1997 list though, so you can be happy with that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tower said:

It was already on the 1997 list though, so you can be happy with that.

To be honest, I'm just sad that nothing from Korea was any good until 1999, so It's gonna take a few years for the good stuff to reach eligibility. 

Happily the 3rd best Bollywood film ever is eligible in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai :D 

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Princess Mononoke released in 1997 in Japan and 1999 in USA :( 

But it was released in Germany in 1998... maybe Germany can count :D 

I think Princess Mononoke made it on the 1997 list unfortunately... it's a masterpiece for sure, but I'm disqualifying it as a courtesy.