SLAM!

BOT Revisiting: The Top 25 Movies of 1998 || Closed For Entries || "This will be the BEST LIST EVER!!" - me || Results on Page Seven

On 10/9/2018 at 8:06 PM, Slambros said:

I'll allow it. Though if a film that is under that predicament makes the list, it would be courteous to have the film be ineligible for an eventual 1999 one -- keep that in mind as you curate the list.

I'm pretty passionate about Run Lola Run myself, so I'll probably vote for that film as well.

Do British movies also count if they premiered in the UK and other countries in 1998? Lock Stock and Wisdom of the Crocodiles are gonna be on my list if they are eligible.

3 hours ago, Joel M said:

Do British movies also count if they premiered in the UK and other countries in 1998? Lock Stock and Wisdom of the Crocodiles are gonna be on my list if they are eligible.

North American release...so LSTSB counts for sure.

10 minutes ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

North American release...so LSTSB counts for sure.

per imdb Lock Stock US release was March of '99, but it had already premiered in the UK and half of Europe in '98.

I 've got 4 movies on my list that don't meet the North American release criteria, but @Slambros said it's ok if they were released in their country of origin in 1998.

22 minutes ago, Joel M said:

per imdb Lock Stock US release was March of '99, but it had already premiered in the UK and half of Europe in '98.

I 've got 4 movies on my list that don't meet the North American release criteria, but @Slambros said it's ok if they were released in their country of origin in 1998.

I'm okay with it, because it's enough of a gap in time from then to now as to where the more obscure films are ambiguous anyways.

I'd go by feeling. Whether you feel that it's more appropriate as a 1997, 1998, or 1999 film is up to you, the voters. I encourage everyone to think strategically, because a film in this predicament that makes this list should not be eligible for a future 1999 list, as a courtesy to the other films.

• Like 1

Just submitted my list. #1 was very easy and the Top 10 was not too difficult but the lower half of the list was surprisingly tough. There were so many movies I sort of liked but didn’t outright hate which made the ranking difficult.

If anyone is having trouble completing their list, there are some great forgotten films posted above which people have recommended (Ronin, The Thin Red Line, Gods and Monsters, Wild Things, etc.)

On 10/7/2018 at 8:26 AM, Tower said:

I haven't even seen that many films from 1998 yet. However, from those that I have seen, 1998 was a great year.

You referenced a few films but not the best (of those that I have seen so far):

American History X Poster

This film is just amazing, for me it's one of the all time greats.

The Big Lebowski Poster

Lebowski is simply hilarious, definitely a must see.

Also you mentioned two good CGI animations that will be on my list, but there is a traditional animation that is better than either of those:

The Prince of Egypt Poster

It's a real bummer that Tony Kaye, director of American History X, became an industry pariah after that film. Guy has/had talent. 

4 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Mine.

1 The Thin Red Line
2 Wild Things
3 The Truman Show
4 Saving Private Ryan
5 He Got Game
6 The Last Days of Disco
7 A Simple Plan
8 Out of Sight
9 The Big Lebowski
10 Rush Hour
11 Ringu
12 Ronin
13 Dark City
14 Enemy of the State
15 American History X

Thank you for this! Be sure to PM this list to me whenever you can!

So I watched Shakespeare in Love since I always watch the Oscar winner when doing one of these yearly lists, and it's not bad, but also not particularly good. Won't make it anywhere near the top of my list, but it might make it near the bottom.

• Like 1

1. American History X - A
2. The Truman Show - A
3. Saving Private Ryan - A
4. The Thin Red Line - A
5. Pleasantville - A
6. Mulan - A-
7. The Big Lebowski - A-
8. Out of Sight - A-
9. Enemy of the State - B+
10. The Mask of Zorro - B+
11. The Celebration - B+
12. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - B+
13. The Wedding Singer - B+
14. The Siege - B+
15. He Got Game - B+
16. A Bug's Life - B+
17. Life is Beautiful - B+
18. Armageddon - B+
19. Rush Hour - B+
20. Deep Impact - B
21. Lethal Weapon 4 - B
22. The Waterboy - B
23. Antz - B
24. The Faculty - B
25. Blade - B

American History X has grown in stature for me in light of recent political happenings. 

3 hours ago, gravestonedt said:

are you allowed to request final vote scores from whoever has the final tally at the last minute,

so you can vote differently and curve/rigg possible movies onto the list?

No.

Part of the fun of lists is having films ranked based on preference, to make as much of a purely prefential list as we can.

If you love a film enough to want to make sure it ranks highly, I would place it highly on my own list.