CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

23 minutes ago, commonsense88 said:

Seems like the devil wants to break the tower to unleash hell and the special boy has to help the guardian save the tower to stop hell from taking over earth.

If that's how this trailer is selling it to the GA then it's definitely not selling the right thing.

24 minutes ago, theStun said:

I thought that was the plan before Ron Howard left the project, I didn't think Sony was still going through with it that way because when Howard was still pushing the project it was book 1 was the first film books 2-3 would be on HBO book 4 was going to a 2 hour like mini series event on ABC/NBC book 5/6 would be one film combined and finally 7 would be the epic finale. And clearly they are borrowing elements from books 1,2 and 3 which means they can make as many or as few sequels as they would want with the way they are going with it. 

I thought Howard was still a producer. Is he still a producer in name, but in reality is effectively gone?

30 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

He's a big part of the first book and seems like a good choice to guide the audience into the story, if they chose that particular approach. 

Right. It's The Gunslinger mixed with some other stuff. I always forget the movie comes before Drawing of the Three and the new ka-tet. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, commonsense88 said:

Lol Stephen King vs Stephen King club anyone 

To be fair, I agree that It will probably win easily over Dark Tower.

Dark Tower is by far the more epic tale, and arguably has the more passionate fan-base. But "It" is much, much easier to sell. Its a much more conventional story and a lot easier for people to grasp (Evil clown kills people and lives in sewers, group of kids go after it), whereas the concept pitch for Dark Tower is like a page and a half long. Plus, I saw the trailer for "It" a couple weeks ago and that was scary as hell.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wrath said:

I thought Howard was still a producer. Is he still a producer in name, but in reality is effectively gone?

That's what I thought because he was originally supposed to direct the first film so when he dropped out I thought he was essentially leaving the project with Sony to do what they want with it but if it lights it up at the BO I wouldn't be surprised if he came back on to direct the sequel. 

• Like 1

Knowing nothing about the books, I guessed this film would be aimed firmly at adults and kind of trippy. It seems to be neither of those based on the trailer, but I suppose I can't exactly fault it for my unfounded expectations. The kid taking center stage will put loads of people off though.

• Like 1

Just now, Tele Came Back said:

I didn't like the trailer, but it seems crazy to me that so many people would be turned off just because of a kid in the movie. 

I don't think having a kid front and center will exactly turn people off but it does create a marketing situation more often than not (the "who is this movie aimed at?" problem, if you wanna call it that).

Just now, filmlover said:

I don't think having a kid front and center will exactly turn people off but it does create a marketing situation more often than not (the "who is this movie aimed at?" problem, if you wanna call it that).

I know what you mean, but it still seems so weird. People get so caught up in all these marketing assumptions. I'm a grown-up. There are plenty of movies featuring (or starring) kids that I love and enjoy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yup, that's what I was getting at. This isn't another Logan situation where it's at least obvious it's a firm R.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

I know what you mean, but it still seems so weird. People get so caught up in all these marketing assumptions. I'm a grown-up. There are plenty of movies featuring (or starring) kids that I love and enjoy. 

Such as Power Rangers? :redcapes: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

To be fair, there's a lot of really bad child actors out there. :lol: Even though we've seen a recent surge of good ones.

I love King and I love Elba but my god this looks wretched. Looks like a glossy, FX heavy flop like RIPD or Dracula Untold to me. Same style, same generic ass creatures and beats as those kind of movies. If this starred Reynolds and Tommy Lee Jones or something, everyone would call it the flop of the year. Ick.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The YouTube comment section for this has so much silly stuff about race. Meh, it feels like humanity is regressing every time I look too hard at the internet as a whole.

The YT comment section has always been a cesspool. I just avoid it. And there are extensions that get rid of the damn thing

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The YouTube comment section for this has so much silly stuff about race. Meh, it feels like humanity is regressing every time I look too hard at the internet as a whole.

They are in the sunken place.