CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Honestly, this should move up a week so it can take advantage of the barren August wasteland.  Then Valerian can move up to this film's previous spot.

Valerian's a bomb no matter where they release it. Sorry.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Anyone know if the books are any good? Was thinking of ordering the first one online for 9 bucks, is it worth?

The first one iis very good - lean and tight.  Very un Stephen King like for his novels.  They progressively get larger in scope but also more bloated.

If you don't want to part with your money the library will definitely have them (maybe even online)

• Like 2

I recommend them a lot -- it's a very fun, wild, and occasionally intense story. Very sprawling, and it helps to go in remembering the series was written over 30 years and King changed a lot both as a writer and a person during that time. So don't expect something with a tight, perfectly structured narrative -- it unfolds in its own way. Characters and goals which appear to be significant sometimes fade into secondary consideration, and vice versa. But it's one hell of a ride, and (IMO) the ending and epilogue are nigh-perfect. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TelemAAchos said:

I recommend them a lot -- it's a very fun, wild, and occasionally intense story. Very sprawling, and it helps to go in remembering the series was written over 30 years and King changed a lot both as a writer and a person during that time. So don't expect something with a tight, perfectly structured narrative -- it unfolds in its own way. Characters and goals which appear to be significant sometimes fade into secondary consideration, and vice versa. But it's one hell of a ride, and (IMO) the ending and epilogue are nigh-perfect. 

Are there a lot of King-isms or does he avoid his usual tropes?

34 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Anyone know if the books are any good? Was thinking of ordering the first one online for 9 bucks, is it worth?

I love the series so I'm biased but you should at least get the first book, it's a short and incredible ride.

The ending of the series is perfect though, I've never seen nor read a better ending to any series.

Edited by Arlborn

I still need to finish the series read up through the Wastelands.  

One really cool thing is it connects to just about every other story King has written, so it has connections to stories like IT, Salem's Lot, the Stand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

I personally think the books are great 1-4 are amazing then there is a bit of a switch up in terms of how the story unfolds but if you are unsure about giving them a shot,  I would say the gunslinger and wizards and glass are a must read. 

• Like 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-tower-brings-first-footage-cinemacon-988922?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

It opens with footage of a door frame standing free in the middle of a baron landscape, and then it cuts to Roland in the desert as the famous opening line to King's The Gunslinger, the first volume in the series, is displayed on screen: "The man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.” 

Roland and the Man in Black then square off, with Roland telling the villain, "I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart." He fires at The Man in Black, who catches the bullet from behind his back.

It then cuts to Jake, who lives in New York but has dreams of Roland and a Dark Tower that must stay standing or else billions will die. His therapist tried to tell him it's a dream, but Jake doesn't believe it. Soon, he is shown exploring an abandoned building, where he discovers a portal that takes him to Roland's world. 

Soon, he presents Roland with one of the drawings the boy made of him from his dreams, and Roland explains that as long as the Man in Black is out there, the Tower will fall and Hell will follow. 

There are slow-mo shots, including a big fight between the Gunslinger and the Man in Black, as well as an extended look at Roland's prowess with his guns: when Jake is kidnapped, Roland shoots the man who did it from hundreds of yards away, simply by listening to where the man is. 

• Like 3