CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

Possibility, possibility, so far this project seems as cursed as AtMoM and frankly I'm hardly surprised considering how many original movies bite the dust at BO recently.

The difference is this is actually showing signs of going forward while AtMoM stalled a long time ago.

Damn it, WB passed. Bad move, IMO. This has the workings to be a great series (although I wouldn't mind someone other than Howard in the directing seat.) I read somewhere with an interesting choice for Eddie Dean, which was Aaron Paul. I think he would actually fit the role pretty well. I hope WB reconsiders, as it will likely die without them.

Now, Media Rights Capital is committed to make a single movie with Russell Crowe as the gunslinger Roland Deschain, with more movies coming if the first gets results. This isn’t set in stone, as Grazer tells me that he has just been approached by a Silicon Valley investor willing to finance Dark Tower as originally constructed, Now it’s a matter of deciding what path to take.

Why not a have a two financiers? Bigger budget+less risk on either studio to finance.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/cannes-brian-grazer-ron-howard-introduce-imagine-2-0-a-pele-pic-on-the-croisette-a-crowd-funded-friday-night-lights-dark-tower-jay-z-and-one-angry-white-whale/

This can`t be done the classic way aka one book = one movie or split 1 book in 2,3 movies. Overarching and flashbacks require combining and steamlining the narrative from flashback-and-flashforward to linear. Just do Roland`s story in the firts movie and add his second ka-tet(Susan, Eddie, jake, Oy) in sequels.

The Dark Tower is something that we're still working on, and we've all sort of taken an agreed vow of silence about the progress, the headway, what we think our timetable is.  I don't think I realized how much media interest there was in the title and how much excitement there was.  It's a fascinating, powerful possibility, and even Stephen King acknowledges it's a tricky adaptation.
To be honest, from a financing side, it's not a straightforward, four-quadrant, sunny superhero story: it's dark; it's horror.  That edge is what appeals to me, and the complexity of those characters is what appeals to all of us.  I think Stephen King really respects that Akiva Goldsman and myself...that that's what we love about it, and that's what we want to try and get to the screen.  So the answer is, it got delayed in our minds; it's never gone away.  We're working on it, and he's very patient with us.
Akiva's just gone off and directed a movie, and I'm continuing to work, but the Dark Tower dreams -- the fever dreams -- are still with us.  But we're not going to give it a timetable, because it was always a little bit over-reported in terms of when we thought the start date was, and then it was hugely disappointing when we didn't meet that date, and so forth.  I don't think it's a project that really benefits from being scrutinized in that way.

http://thetruthinsidethelie.blogspot.se/2013/09/ron-howard-gives-update-on-dark-tower.html