CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I think you'll be wrong on this one.

I doubt it, but we'll see on August 4th.  

I want nearly every movie to do well including this, but not seeing anything that would make someone feel confident it is going to perform well other than simply being a fan excited to finally see the movie being released.  

• Like 5

I've watched the trailer three times. I don't have a single clue of what I just see other than doing a wiki read on the synopsis of Dark Tower book one. 

What I do like:

Idris Elba is fucking insane bad ass. That line at the end is amazing.

What I don't know what the hell is going on:

Alright the synopsis says that there's a New York, so that's unlike the Dark Tower comics prequel from the beginning of the century I've read. That comic featured a very young gunslinger and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the same character that Idris is playing, but I guess yes since they share the same name. 

What I dislike:

Some of the stuff on the trailer looks cheap as fuck, and Matthew McConaughey looked kinda goofy doing Neo stunts stopping broken glass(?!)\

I don't know. I know this has a very strong following, but other than Idris delivery line at the end, nothing impressed me here. 

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I doubt it, but we'll see on August 4th.  

I want nearly every movie to do well including this, but not seeing anything that would make someone feel confident it is going to perform well other than simply being a fan excited to finally see the movie being released.  

I've only read one Dark Tower novel....kind of ashamed really...me being such a big King fan....maybe what I mean is I HOPE YOU ARE WRONG.  Elba and McCon have such great screen presence and I like the trailer, so I hope it does well. :)

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The footage at CinemaCon played terribly.  The new trailer is for some reason way more kid heavy.  Production was delayed and the release date pushed back multiple times.  It is being run by Sony who when you talk to their people they don't seem to be terribly confident in it.  

All signs point to this being a bomb on August 4th.  I won't be shocked if Detroit possibly does better.  

More than anything else about the trailer, what sort of took me by surprise is what I've bolded. I always heard about how mature and "dark" this series was. I'd never guess this would be sort of like Masters of the Universe / Last Action Hero type of story, and I guess that we don't have that many films that are like this lately, but at same time, if they would go with that premise and this being so hardcore popular, I don't understand why they didn't make a big production out of it. I mean, I've never seen a Harry Potter film, not even Fantastic Beasts, but they look epic from the trailers. Lord of the Rings is quite epic and that's obvious from the first time I saw the trailer. The best word I have to describe this trailer other than Idris Elba delivery at the end is that it looks terribly cheap. Like, HBO's Westworld looks to have more production value than this.

With all due respect for people that are fans of the source material, but I'm more impressed to how this will even work in the sense that looks like a bomb than "wow, I'm excited". Which is a shame, because that line at the end, not really the imagery that goes with that, it's freaking bad ass. 

• Like 1

Without any scientific evidence to back this up I would say the three stories Stephen King is most associated with would be the stand, it, and The Dark Tower. I think there's a sizable enough fan base that will definitely hopefully make this successful.

• Like 3

The man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.

Since they've changed the way Jake came to his life and since Jake dreamed so much about this world they should have had Jake say that line in the trailer as it's the most iconic quote out of the whole series. I hope they can work it in the movie somehow...

That last line though... Just awesome delivery by Elba, I felt it, I loved it.

Now with my silly piece of fanboyism out of the way, regarding the trailer itself, wow, this being an actual sequel to the books @iJackSparrow means they changed stuff up a lot more than I thought they would it seems. That has the potential to work out great, or not.

Honestly though, I saw some stuff in there that I really didn't expect to see until a later movie(if any later movie ever happens) so I really kinda hope they don't rush things along too much.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

I really should start re-reading the books again before this comes out so I can have stuff very fresh in my mind and I can appreciate better all the things that work out differently from the books now that he has the Horn of Eld in this sequel.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.

Since they've changed the way Jake came to his life and since Jake dreamed so much about this world they should totally have Jake say that line in the trailer as it's the most iconic quote out of the whole series. I hope they can work it in the movie  somehow...

That last line though... Just awesome delivery by Elba, I felt it, I loved it.

Now with my silly piece of fanboyism out of the way, regarding the trailer itself, wow, this being an actual sequel to the books @iJackSparrow means they changed stuff up a lot more than I thought they would it seems. That has the potential to work out great, or not.

Honestly though, I saw some stuff in there that I really didn't expect to see until a later movie(if any later movie ever happens) so I really kinda hope they don't rush things along too much.

I've did some digging and if anything, even if the film sucks, I'm very interested in reading the books. So there's that. 

• Like 2

I don't like how they compared the man in black to the devil in this trailer though, was that somehow in the books? Cause to me he's at the same time more and less than that, I'm not sure he can be defined by such comparison. He's more... Insidious, inevitable; he's an agent of decay, not the decay itself. He's way more subtle than the devil would be.

• Like 1

I never got a chance to read the books but as a present I bought the series as each book came out for my mom since she got me into Stephen King when I was very young.  So I know only bits of what she told me, but the trailer got me interested too.  It was pretty good to me.  Not sure what the final product will bring, but I think I will like it.

Edited by 75live

I'm trying to think if it's worth sacrificing my Week 0 questions to add Dark Tower back to my list?

Im still not confident because this movie has gotten next to 0 marketing attention.  But August is also dead and I fee like something has to succeed there.