CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

Someone made a terrible mistake thinking this can be successfully adapted - and it will bite them in the ass, hard.

I can easily explain why - but I just don't care. Enough to say that's the only 100% sure bomb of the summer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Alright, fair enough.

Hold on to that last line in the trailer and don't let go though, have some faith! I doubt it will be that bad with the talent involved and King's own blessing.

I actually don't have much faith right now. But maybe I'll be wrong. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Someone made a terrible mistake thinking this can be successfully adapted - and it will bite them in the ass, hard.

I can easily explain why - but I just don't care. Enough to say that's the only 100% sure bomb of the summer.

Kinda tough to be a bomb at 60 million budget. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

That 60M budget should be enough to save face if it does indeed fare poorly.

I'm curious though about the reason you think this material can't be well adapted. Are you sure you can't tell me why you think it?

Trailer looks good, although messy. Elba as a gun-slinging badass? Sounds great.

Problem is, I'm not sure what this is supposed to be about. Never read the books, but I feel like the actual basis got muddled while watching the trailer

I've watched the trailer a few more times and uh I really wish they had just been more confident in the source material Elba looks like he will be amazing as Roland, but really this should of been an HBO/Starz series. I hope this is good but from the trailer it really looks like they made the most cookie cutter/family friendly version of The Dark tower they could. 

2 minutes ago, theStun said:

I've watched the trailer a few more times and uh I really wish they had just been more confident in the source material Elba looks like he will be amazing as Roland, but really this should of been an HBO/Starz series. I hope this is good but from the trailer it really looks like they made the most cookie cutter/family friendly version of The Dark tower they could. 

That's actually the plan. First comes the movie, then comes a 12-15 episode show on HBO with basically the same cast.

Of course, that depends on how it does. If the movie bombs, possibly no show at all. If the movie or show break out, possibly multiple seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

I'm curious though about the reason you think this material can't be well adapted. Are you sure you can't tell me why you think it?

A great adaptation would be difficult, no question. It shares some of the same difficulty as LOTR -- huge sprawling story in a huge sprawling world -- but it adds complications like different chunks of the story playing out on different times on Earth, pop-culture references (and characters) popping up from time to time, parts of the overall saga that play like horror, parts that are science-fiction, parts that are western fantasy... it would be easy to lose focus and/or take the wrong tonal approach. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, franfar said:

Trailer looks good, although messy. Elba as a gun-slinging badass? Sounds great.

Problem is, I'm not sure what this is supposed to be about. Never read the books, but I feel like the actual basis got muddled while watching the trailer

Seems like the devil wants to break the tower to unleash hell and the special boy has to help the guardian save the tower to stop hell from taking over earth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wrath said:

That's actually the plan. First comes the movie, then comes a 12-15 episode show on HBO with basically the same cast.

Of course, that depends on how it does. If the movie bombs, possibly no show at all. If the movie or show break out, possibly multiple seasons.

I thought that was the plan before Ron Howard left the project, I didn't think Sony was still going through with it that way because when Howard was still pushing the project it was book 1 was the first film books 2-3 would be on HBO book 4 was going to a 2 hour like mini series event on ABC/NBC book 5/6 would be one film combined and finally 7 would be the epic finale. And clearly they are borrowing elements from books 1,2 and 3 which means they can make as many or as few sequels as they would want with the way they are going with it. 

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The fact Tele (who I believe has been stanning for this since it was announced) isn't so hot on what's been released so far almost makes me inclined to call out @CJohn to bless this movie with a RIP. lol.

I saw the trailer without sound and it looked like a hot mess.

15 minutes ago, franfar said:

The elevator pitch was Lord of the Rings meets the Man with No Name Trilogy

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

For one thing the books are rated R, so I doubt any studio is that brave

• Like 1