CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

STEPHEN KING’S “THE DARK TOWER” TAPS “THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO” WRITER NIKOLAJ ARCEL TO WRITE AND DIRECT

http://www.tracking-board.com/stephen-kings-the-dark-tower-taps-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-writer-nikolaj-arcel-to-write-and-direct/

After years of development, the film adaptation of Stephen King’s novel THE DARK TOWER is finally moving forward with Nikolaj Arcel set to re-write and direct the project. The project has moved from Universal to Warner Bros. in the past couple years. Many directors were involved with the project at different points, with Ron Howard being attached to direct some time. He is still producing under his Imagine Entertainment banner. MRC is currently developing a companion television series, which has stayed in development over the course of the project switching studios. The most current draft of the screenplay was written by Akiva Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner.

So with all these schedule slots filled up, I guess Sony has already accepted that The 5th Wave will inevitably disappoint and the rest of the books won't get filmed? And by scheduling this in January, I guess they intend to mercy-kill another Pascal-era leftover (that is no longer being directed by the person who spearheaded it)?

At this point, you could spend the better part of a weekend marathonning all of the fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal-romance book series adaptations that stopped at the first film.

Edited by TServo2049

So with all these schedule slots filled up, I guess Sony has already accepted that The 5th Wave will inevitably disappoint and the rest of the books won't get filmed? And by scheduling this in January, I guess they intend to mercy-kill another Pascal-era leftover (that is no longer being directed by the person who spearheaded it)?

At this point, you could spend the better part of a weekend marathonning all of the fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal-romance book series adaptations that stopped at the first film.

I think Sony wanted to make a publicity splash. 

Why the 5th Wave and this are put to January before the filming even begins. Sony has been so quiet about the 5th Wave but if they did not not have confidence that the films could work why they did they made it at all? Or was the January date just bacause they were trying something different and then later did not like it or are the quiet for some another reason?