CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

MM is a solid actor when he tries and had a good stretch, which is good for him, but never bought The McConaissance nonsense. Interstellar was a hit but didn't live up to expectations at the domestic box office and did not move the needle for him in any real way. The Oscar did but that's the last thing that did.

30 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

Matthew cant stop flopping after Interstellar, his big comeback literally lasted a year

That is downplaying it a lot, it was a 3/4 year madness between 2011 and 2014 of just all good projects getting released from him with many great one:

74 Interstellar Nov 5, 2014 Cooper / Cooper 8.4
75 The Wolf of Wall Street Dec 25, 2013 Mark Hanna / Mark Hanna 6.8
84 Dallas Buyers Club Nov 1, 2013 Ron Woodroof / Ron Woodroof 8.2
76 Mud Apr 26, 2013 Mud / Mud 8.2
45 The Paperboy Oct 5, 2012 Ward Jansen 5.8
62 Killer Joe Jul 27, 2012 Killer Joe Cooper 6.6
72 Magic Mike Jun 29, 2012 Dallas / Dallas 6.0
75 Bernie Apr 27, 2012 Danny Buck Davidson / Danny Buck 7.2
63 The Lincoln Lawyer Mar 18, 2011 Mickey Haller 7.4

That is a hell of a run (Linklater, Soderbergh  Friedkin, Lee daniels, Nichols, Scorese, Vallé, Nolan that a really impressive run of directors), and you add True Detective in television in that mix.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

hell of a run? i was talking about box office, his only hits out of those are DBC, TWOWS and I

Is comeback narrative was always more about quality of output not box office related.

Mud was also a nice hit for a movie like that. Magic Mike was a flatout hit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAR said:

I just love this narrative.  Sony releases Baby Driver and Spider-Man:  Homecoming.  Sony can do no wrong.  

They release Emoji and Dark Tower.  They're such fuck ups.

I actually heard more about it being an anomaly with BD and SM:H. That or Marvel and Edgar Wright deserve the credit. 

• Like 1