CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

9 hours ago, El Panda Machos said:

I saw this movie at the Alamo Drafthouse, the little pre-show where they do lists, countdowns and interviews was better than the movie imo.

The movie is fine until you realize it's a Dark Tower adaption and the material deserves a movie 1000x better than this manufactured contraption.

It's pretty meh and tries to cover way to much plot ground due to the short run time that it leaves no time for actual character or world building.

A failed adaptation is what I was fearing the most to be honest, I'm so disappointed.

I still can't understand how they screwed it up so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

A failed adaptation is what I was fearing the most to be honest, I'm so disappointed.

I still can't understand how they screwed it up so much.

I think they really wanted to put their own stamp and vision on the material, which is not a bad thing at all given the premise for this adaptation. They just went too far afield and lost sight of the big picture as well as key smaller pictures that made up a part of the big picture.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Sad 1

No, it's getting much more money than it deserves - and it's actually making profit (which is terrible)!

Because it is a cheap ass TV level movie that only wears the famous names of King and his novels, having nothing else in common with them. A typical cash grab, if I ever saw one. Just the thing to expect form a certain Akiva Goldsman.

Yeah, it wasn't the travesty I was expecting. I got a little bored in the middle, which for a film that runs a mere 90 minutes should have been able to hold my attention the whole time. I haven't read the books though, so I didn't really know what I was missing. There was a lot of character building and backstory that goes unexplained and we are left with a bunch of characters who basically feel like they have either no motives or their motivations are just poor, which I certainly feel brings the whole film down and makes you not feel or care about anything or anyone on screen.

On 8/6/2017 at 8:42 AM, Boner Omega said:

You're not wrong.  

However, let's also not forget that King almost died as well, which was the ultimate cliffhanger.

At GRRM's pace, there's no guarantee he'll live long enough to finish these last two books.  If Winds is taking him this long, imagine how long he'll take with what would be the conclusion of his series (providing he doesn't make it longer).

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, DAR said:

I just love this narrative.  Sony releases Baby Driver and Spider-Man:  Homecoming.  Sony can do no wrong.  

They release Emoji and Dark Tower.  They're such fuck ups.

And that is the problem. Sony's flops end up eating all the profits from their hits. Sony has severe problems, and they have for a number of years. The new management made one good decision with calling in Marvel Studios to save Spidey,but the bad hit to flop ratio continues. What matters is not how much an individual film makes, but what the balance sheet for the whole studio at the end of year shows.That is where Sony comes up short.

Every studio has it's ups and downs, but SOny has been in a trough for a number of years.

And they might lose the Bond Franchise,one of the few surefire things Sony has.....

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-dark-tower-tv-series-interest-movie-exit-survey-1202144404/

There was an unusual question in the exit survey for The Dark Tower this weekend, with moviegoers asked whether they were interested in a Dark Tower TV series. It was included in the survey by MRC, which is set to co-produce the series with Sony TV. The result was that 83% of The Dark Tower film audience indicated that they were definitely/probably interested in a TV series.

“That is incredibly encouraging; what it shows is that there is a very big, excited audience for the show,” said MRC co-CEO Modi. Wiczyk.

The viewer approval for the movie, which drew mixed reviews from critics was in the 70%+, lower than the percentage of viewers interested in a TV series. “People who have seen the movie are interested in a TV series whether or not they liked the movie;  even if they didn’t like the movie, they were not turn off by that,”Wiczyk said.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Dark Tower made 19M, at about 9$ a ticket, that is about 2M people who watched it, 83% of that is 1.7M people. Not exactly the audience level that wouldn't get it cancelled within a season.

Depends on the channel. It would be fine for AMC, USA or Showtime, IMO.

11 minutes ago, IN BKB WE TRUST said:

Well they should've just given this the WESTWORLD Treatment and sent it to HBO or SHOWTIME..

I could imagine HBO not being interest in someone else production with Westworld already being a bit of that aesthetic in some way.Would it not be a bit too big budget for Showtime ? here in canada at least it is like half the price of HBO. Did they ever made something close to that scale of show ?

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

Dark Tower made 19M, at about 9$ a ticket, that is about 2M people who watched it, 83% of that is 1.7M people. Not exactly the audience level that wouldn't get it cancelled within a season.

Fuck it, 1 season would mean at least 6 hours of show if not a lot more. Gives them enough time to get some Mythology in there before it gets canceled, which is good enough for me. Better than the 1.5 hour half-baked job of the film.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grim22 said:

That doesn't mean that a new audience can't be brought in who didn't see the movie on OW or will just check out the series and not the movie

14 hours ago, grim22 said:

Let's not forget this crucial factor. It's a lot more expensive for someone to buy a theater ticket than it is to watch a TV show.