CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

Of course Westworld cinematography is insane, it is from a Nolan after all :huh:

This post started interest me and asking myself who is director of The Dark Tower and after 5 sec of googling I am shocked with name it came up. 

Nikolaj Arcel? Who is he and why him.  His resume is certainly nothing I watched, or heard about. Why this guy is directing this property. This is some guy who didnt direct a movie for 5 years and last one he did was independent one. This guy never directed anything worthwhile or anything hollywood related in his life. 

Edited by Neno

I've never read the book, so I can't sar for sure, but I imagined it more of a slow burn post apocalyptic western, this looks like your dime-a dozen blockbuster to me, good enough for me to watch, but nothing really screams that this will be a great or unique movie. 

11 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

Elba... lacks gravitas?!

Looked like that in trailer. He is too smooth and sophisticated naturally. His voice does not have the gruffness. Denzel Washington or Daniel Craig or Jermey Renner (in Town) have a different level of intensity and gravitas in rough characters like these (Denzel and Renner or Craig btw can play sophisticated roles very well too, and they have, but that's besides the point).

To me Elba appears more morose than intense.

This looks like every "faceless CGI creatures run out from some dumbass sky portal as the hero saves da worlddddd" movie that pretty much makes up 90 percent of blockbusters these days. This one just has Last Witch Hunter/Dracula Untold b-level special effects and glossy cinematography in it, too. Poor Idris.

• Like 5

Surprised the the budget's that low. While I normally welcome Hollywood reigning it in I thought this was meant to be one of the great unmade projects that would have everything thrown at it. Instead it really does look like it cost just 60m.

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Surprised the the budget's that low. While I normally welcome Hollywood reigning it in I thought this was meant to be one of the great unmade projects that would have everything thrown at it. Instead it really does look like it cost just 60m.

It definitely looks like a $60m b standard action movie.

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Coming from the perspective of someone's who's never read the books, looks kind of generic, but I want to see the film because it has McConaughey as a villain. So I'm intrigued. 

Goes off to find the books. 

The power of his wig compels you!