CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

Just now, Alli said:

Why are insiders so willing so spill the beans? And now even before the movie opens. Bad press spreads so easily these days.

Can't these people shut up and not play the blame game?

Some of these insiders could be from rival studios though.  I doubt anyone from Sony would spill the beans and potentially cause bad press.

1 minute ago, That Floating Guy said:

Some of these insiders could be from rival studios though.  I doubt anyone from Sony would spill the beans and potentially cause bad press.

I saw you reacted to my post from five years ago! We all make some bad calls.

Edited by lab276
  • Haha 1

At the time it gave me LOTR-esque vibes and stuff, I thought it was a big fantasy series that could make an interesting set of movies. Then it fell off the map and I forgot about it. When I saw "The Dark Tower" on the release schedule I thought, is that the same The Dark Tower that I was hopeful about all those years ago? Apparently so (although not really). That was still when I was optimistic and wide eyed about anything that looked like the next LOTR or something. It was before The Hobbit came out even. Don't worry, I don't let myself get too excited about stuff anymore like I used to. Fewer disappointments that way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rman823 said:

I give Edgar Wright all the credit. Same with Marvel and Homecoming. 

Studio should get some credit for funding someone like Wright with is commercial track record, not expecting to do any money from the movie in exchange of him directing future commercial project for you and letting him freely do is thing under an other production company.

Does not require much outside distribution capability and capital, but that what we want studio to do at least from time to time. They need to involved only if the director is failing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Alli said:

Why are insiders so willing so spill the beans? And now even before the movie opens. Bad press spreads so easily these days.

Donald-Trump-tweet-leaks-Flynn-Russia.jp

Change “Washington” to Hollywood and the tweet would sound exactly like Sony & Rothman right now.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

@EmpireCity Do you know anything about the production process apparently being a mess?

This movie was fucked from the start.  I have basically heard what everyone else heard is they had to shoot and re-shoot and yet struggled to end up with a 90 minute movie.  

First look at the footage at CinemaCon was atrocious.  Everyone has known for a long time this movie was a disaster.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

This movie was fucked from the start.  I have basically heard what everyone else heard is they had to shoot and re-shoot and yet struggled to end up with a 90 minute movie.  

First look at the footage at CinemaCon was atrocious.  Everyone has known for a long time this movie was a disaster.  

Meh

I'm a bit surprised that for a film that has so much material to draw upon that it's only 105 minutes. Maybe it's a very tight narrative and it moves fast and is satisfying leaving you eager for the sequel?

After all, I'm not upset that Thor:Ragnarok will allegedly be 100minutes but that studios track record is much stronger as well so my trust factor is high there.

Just now, Captain Craig said:

I'm a bit surprised that for a film that has so much material to draw upon that it's only 105 minutes. Maybe it's a very tight narrative and it moves fast and is satisfying leaving you eager for the sequel?

After all, I'm not upset that Thor:Ragnarok will allegedly be 100minutes but that studios track record is much stronger as well so my trust factor is high there.

Variety are saying this thing is 88 minutes. 

Thor being around 100 minutes, with the director being as confident as he is, especially with announcing it months before release doesn’t have me worried at all.

1 hour ago, Alli said:

I imagine it is agents trying to protect their people.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

Sony should probably stick to lower budgeted movies like Don't Breathe and Baby Driver for now. For a company so obsessed with making everything PG-13, their most profitable movies lately are usually rated R.

? They already have like 10 R-rated release this year