CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

On 5/2/2017 at 5:52 AM, El Panda Machos said:

Ugh I took this off my summer game because I figured it'd be delayed.  With no competition, this doesn't even need that great of a campaign to pull decent numbers.

And Sony decided to give it literally no campaign.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, That Floating Guy said:

I think I said I thought this looked "great" or something back when the first trailer came out.  lmao

...But you see everything. Hell, you're gonna be the only brave soul on BOT to endure the fucking Nut Job 2.

3 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

I think I said I thought this looked "great" or something back when the first trailer came out.  lmao

I said that it looked like a freaking b movie and lots of people called me out on that. It sucks to be right when you want to be wrong, haha. 

I remember when I said I could still see an Elysium type opening :sparta:

Then Sony just decided to cut their losses. I think this probably could have done low 20s or something with a marketing campaign, but what's the point when it's gonna tank

2 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

This final product reminds me a lot of the GOP healthcare plan: You’ve had All This Time and This is what you come up with? I can already picture John McCain strolling into a theater this weekend, giving a dramatic thumbs down, killing The Dark Tower forever.

giphy.webp

/Dead.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

After trailer reactions from me featuring baumer and Tele :lol::

On 03/05/2017 at 6:19 AM, iJackSparrow said:

I'm quite confused to be honest. Dark Tower is one of the few books that I feel I'd be invested on because a lot of friends with similar tastes to mine have recommended and seem to love it. But what the hell are they doing in New York? Is that New York? Wasn't this set in the old west or something? 

On 03/05/2017 at 6:36 AM, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Glad I put the Dark Tower in the top 15 for the summer game.

On 03/05/2017 at 6:42 AM, iJackSparrow said:

I've watched the trailer three times. I don't have a single clue of what I just see other than doing a wiki read on the synopsis of Dark Tower book one. 

What I do like:

Idris Elba is fucking insane bad ass. That line at the end is amazing.

What I don't know what the hell is going on:

Alright the synopsis says that there's a New York, so that's unlike the Dark Tower comics prequel from the beginning of the century I've read. That comic featured a very young gunslinger and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the same character that Idris is playing, but I guess yes since they share the same name. 

What I dislike:

Some of the stuff on the trailer looks cheap as fuck, and Matthew McConaughey looked kinda goofy doing Neo stunts stopping broken glass(?!)\

I don't know. I know this has a very strong following, but other than Idris delivery line at the end, nothing impressed me here. 

On 03/05/2017 at 6:57 AM, iJackSparrow said:

More than anything else about the trailer, what sort of took me by surprise is what I've bolded. I always heard about how mature and "dark" this series was. I'd never guess this would be sort of like Masters of the Universe / Last Action Hero type of story, and I guess that we don't have that many films that are like this lately, but at same time, if they would go with that premise and this being so hardcore popular, I don't understand why they didn't make a big production out of it. I mean, I've never seen a Harry Potter film, not even Fantastic Beasts, but they look epic from the trailers. Lord of the Rings is quite epic and that's obvious from the first time I saw the trailer. The best word I have to describe this trailer other than Idris Elba delivery at the end is that it looks terribly cheap. Like, HBO's Westworld looks to have more production value than this.

With all due respect for people that are fans of the source material, but I'm more impressed to how this will even work in the sense that looks like a bomb than "wow, I'm excited". Which is a shame, because that line at the end, not really the imagery that goes with that, it's freaking bad ass. 

On 03/05/2017 at 8:43 AM, iJackSparrow said:

I've did some digging and if anything, even if the film sucks, I'm very interested in reading the books. So there's that. 

On 03/05/2017 at 10:48 AM, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I didn't like the trailer. :( 

Oh well, @Squadron Leader Tele. At least I'm still very interested in reading the books, I guess? That's a good thing. There's always Netflix and HBO to get shit right. 

Judging by the reviews, they seem to have removed any and all connective tissue between scenes in the editing room, instead just jumping from plot point to plot point. Really strange, as reshoots normally tend to add those in instead of removing them.