CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

Wait. Dark fantasy, science fiction, horror and western? This sounds fucking rad. I love fantasy but I haven't picked up a book in a few years. .Dunno how to get back into reading, though that might sound a bit odd.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts, huge, standing to the sky for what looked like eternity in all directions. It was white and blinding and waterless and without feature save for the faint, cloudy haze of the mountains which sketched themselves on the horizon and the devil-grass which brought sweet dreams, nightmares, death. An occasional tombstone sign pointed the way, for once the drifted track that cut its way through the thick crust of alkali had been a highway. Coaches and buckas had followed it. The world had moved on since then. The world had emptied.

That's how it all begins. Pick up THE GUNSLINGER (Book 1) to keep reading. :)

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yeah, I read the first three pretty quickly, had to wait a year for Wizards & Glass, and honestly bogged down in it and didn't finish -- especially since book 5 was nowhere in sight.

Cut to years later, King had his accident and wrote books 5-7 in a blaze, and well after the final one came out in paperback, I decided to give the whole series a shot again, re-read 1-4 and then slammed through 5-7. Finished the last few pages with tears in my eyes. What a great, amazing conclusion... though I understand how it could've been frustrating to people who demand a conclusion to every digression and hint in the first three books.

It was a series started by a young writer just beginning his career, and finished by a middle-aged man who had a close brush with death... and it shows. Certainly not the most tidy or efficiently-plotted saga, but brilliant nevertheless.

I remember where I was when I heard he was hit by the van, and yeah I'd be lying if I said The Dark Tower wasn't the first thing I though of.

I remember I sat in my room for two days reading book 7, sobbing for most of it.  But that ending, the "real" ending, was fucking perfect

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts, huge, standing to the sky for what looked like eternity in all directions. It was white and blinding and waterless and without feature save for the faint, cloudy haze of the mountains which sketched themselves on the horizon and the devil-grass which brought sweet dreams, nightmares, death. An occasional tombstone sign pointed the way, for once the drifted track that cut its way through the thick crust of alkali had been a highway. Coaches and buckas had followed it. The world had moved on since then. The world had emptied.

You've sold me. Putting it in my Amazon cart now, maybe something to read over xmas. I've been longing to find a book to get me back into reading. Thanks :) 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Wait. Dark fantasy, science fiction, horror and western? This sounds fucking rad. I love fantasy but I haven't picked up a book in a few years. .Dunno how to get back into reading, though that might sound a bit odd.

Not strange, I'm sure plenty of people stop reading for a while.

I might be tempted to judge if I wasn't addicted to internet aka cyber-crack.

Cause I love cyber crack. 

22 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

And it only gets better from there? :apocalypse:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

That's how it all begins. Pick up THE GUNSLINGER (Book 1) to keep reading. [emoji4]

And it only gets better from there? :apocalypse:

:lol:

It's a whole multitude of things, and each book has a different feel. Book 1, by King's own description, is by a 20-something writer who'd been binge-ing on Tolkien and THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY. Books 2-3, written after he'd honed his craft further and was already a bestselling author, takes a turn into perhaps more familiar King territory; 4 detours into a more distinctly fantasy prequel (it's probably my least favorite, although I'm sure for others it's their fave for exactly the same reasons)... after that, there was a long pause, both as he struggled to write and after his car accident; then books 5-7 take a new, more self-reflective turn (literally) as the saga draws to a conclusion.

• Like 3