CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

3 minutes ago, thelich343 said:

First, I doubt MS would suddenly let go of Spidey just for something that trivial, because now that they've actually revived him, they still kinda need him, the MCU is 10 years old, fans are getting older, movies are getting frontloaded, they need the freshness and the youth appeal, you'll notice them gunning for it in the new films.

Second, MS wouldn't even complain in the first place. Why would they?

Third, and most important, yes Sony would fuck it up. It's what the internet says they're good at, remember?

They are contract bounded. They won't fuck it up because they CAN'T. Spider-Man isn't showing up. Trust me. 

FULL REVIEW HERE: https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//the-dark-tower-review

Dear Sony, stop releasing movies. Please after that 2014 hack, I think it's time to turn in your towel. You got lucky with Goosebumps in 2015, Sausage Party in 2016, and Baby Driver this past June. I would say Spider-Man Homecoming as well, but we all know that the majority of the heavy lifting came from Marvel Studios. Besides those mentioned films, you guys fucked up tremendously. For two weeks in a row, you managed to consecutively release steaming pile of garbage (The Emoji Movie) after steaming pile of garbage (The Dark Tower), and I’m tired of it. 

Here's the name that you should fear, Akiva Goldsman.I guess every time, I see the name Akiva Goldsman in a credit it just shows how shitty a movie will be. Screw getting excited for a film nowadays.  It makes me wonder how does this guy get to find work? Seriously every movie he’s credited for this year have been ending up on my worst of 2017 list to far. You got Rings (one of 3 writers), King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (producer), Transformers: The Last Knight (story or lack there of), and now The Dark Tower another entry in the shitty career of Akiva Goldsman. If Goldsman’s name is in the credits whether its writer, producer, or story, there’s no reason to have faith in it anymore.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rjones1325 said:

FULL REVIEW HERE: https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//the-dark-tower-review

Dear Sony, stop releasing movies. Please after that 2014 hack, I think it's time to turn in your towel. You got lucky with Goosebumps in 2015, Sausage Party in 2016, and Baby Driver this past June. I would say Spider-Man Homecoming as well, but we all know that the majority of the heavy lifting came from Marvel Studios. Besides those mentioned films, you guys fucked up tremendously. For two weeks in a row, you managed to consecutively release steaming pile of garbage (The Emoji Movie) after steaming pile of garbage (The Dark Tower), and I’m tired of it. 

Here's the name that you should fear, Akiva Goldsman.I guess every time, I see the name Akiva Goldsman in a credit it just shows how shitty a movie will be. Screw getting excited for a film nowadays.  It makes me wonder how does this guy get to find work? Seriously every movie he’s credited for this year have been ending up on my worst of 2017 list to far. You got Rings (one of 3 writers), King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (producer), Transformers: The Last Knight (story or lack there of), and now The Dark Tower another entry in the shitty career of Akiva Goldsman. If Goldsman’s name is in the credits whether its writer, producer, or story, there’s no reason to have faith in it anymore.

Do people really love excessive hyperbole, especially when it's effectively dog-piling at this  point? Is this what people are looking for in reviews these days?

"Oh, Sony stop making movies cause you had two panned movies follow your two acclaimed movies, that's fifty-fifty and not really that bad, but oh well."

"Oh, Sony, you're a distribution studio that hired a production studio to make a movie, like every movie in the universe. But this time, the production studio is going to have to take all the credit cause it's good now and the production studio's name is marvel"

"Sony, you are literally Satan."

"Sony you killed the world."

• Like 6

2 hours ago, thelich343 said:

They're referring to Emoji, and that's not a bomb even...

Oh. Emoji did fine, nothing great but it's fine. Opening to $25M on a $50M budget is OK particularly when its a kids movie.

Lol at Sony having to stop making movies. Every weekend a studio has a bad movie being released. It happens. 

But there's a reason why Sony is one of the top studios. They clearly know what they're doing a lot better than most studios. Even the critically panned Emoji Movie is going to be a financial success and in the end money is what matters.

I do think releasing bad film after bad film can have negative consequences though especially  in the long run but Sony is no where near that point. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Oh. Emoji did fine, nothing great but it's fine. Opening to $25M on a $50M budget is OK particularly when its a kids movie.

As much as it pains me to say it, it can do $150M WW and make Sony a profit.

• Like 1

Even their animation slate isn't looking to good. Despite Smurfs making $200M WW on a $60M budget, Sony was disappointed in it. The combination of HT2, Goosebumps, and Angry Birds both domestically and worldwide will be more than Smurfs, Emoji, and The Star.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nova said:

Lol at Sony having to stop making movies. Every weekend a studio has a bad movie being released. It happens. 

But there's a reason why Sony is one of the top studios. They clearly know what they're doing a lot better than most studios. Even the critically panned Emoji Movie is going to be a financial success and in the end money is what matters.

I do think releasing bad film after bad film can have negative consequences though especially  in the long run but Sony is no where near that point. 

Sony is going through a rough patch like many studios do, Baby Driver and Spider-Man Homecoming thankfully were critically acclaimed but I do think they have to concerned with aspects of their slate like SPA which while won't end losing money, it's not a good thing for all your animated films in one year to be under $100m domestic. 

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Even their animation slate isn't looking to good. Despite Smurfs making $200M WW on a $60M budget, Sony was disappointed in it. The combination of HT2, Goosebumps, and Angry Birds both domestically and worldwide will be more than Smurfs, Emoji, and The Star.

The combined domestic total of Smurfs, Emoji and The Star will be less than what HT2 made domestically, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The combined domestic total of Smurfs, Emoji and The Star will be less than what HT2 made domestically, 

That too. What's more concerning is the fact that if Emoji and Smurfs do $200M each WW and The Star does $100M WW, it'll barely be more than HT2 WW.

• Like 1