Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

Felt enough time has passed since Boseman's passing that we can talk about this movie in a more respectful manner and think about what the future of the franchise is. As always, do try and be respectful about the whole thing and try to understand there's more to the world than a movie.

• Like 11

Re: movie/franchise repercussions, it seems verrrrrry unlikely to me that they’d try a recast, given the (deserved) blowback it would generate. Feige tends to look to the comics for inspiration, so I think Black Panther 2 will probably have some kind of emotional send off to the character of T’challa and then pass the mantle of Black Panther on to Shuri.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

I don't want another sequel or anything. Shuri or Nakia or Okoye and M'Baku can show up as supporting characters in other movies, but this franchise simply isn't the same without Chadwick

I'll admit I have changed my mind a bit after sleeping on it. Not only because I know that Disney will never let this series die, so might as well accept the capitalist hellscape we live in, but also because the greatest thing about Black Panther is Wakanda. T'Challa is a huge reason why this movie worked as well as it did. However, Wakanda's people, culture and technology are what makes the movie so magical to me and gives the movie its charm and beauty. And the movie does end with T'Challa bringing the beauty and majesty of Wakanda to the world, so might as well keep it going for a few more movies or Disney+ shows even after the king has passed on.

You can say whatever you want about them, but I'm sure whatever Disney or Marvel do, they know how to do it with respect and dignity, and I feel like I'll always be there.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Re: movie/franchise repercussions, it seems verrrrrry unlikely to me that they’d try a recast, given the (deserved) blowback it would generate. Feige tends to look to the comics for inspiration, so I think Black Panther 2 will probably have some kind of emotional send off to the character of T’challa and then pass the mantle of Black Panther on to Shuri.

Whatever the way they go, I think a bit gap will be appreciated. Though COVID most likely will give that gap on own.

• Like 2

It's pretty likely that Marvel had contingency plans for this and I think BP 2 would've been about T'Challa passing the mantle to Shuri either way. Wouldn't be surprised if the character dies off-screen and we see some kind of send-off in an Astral plane sequence.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

What's amazing is he's dealing with this for 4 years and nobody knew about it. He continued to work and inspire others, such strong willed individual. You will be missed. 😢😢😢

2020 has been such horrific year, it needs to just end. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

You can say whatever you want about them, but I'm sure whatever Disney or Marvel do, they know how to do it with respect and dignity, and I feel like I'll always be there.

The Carrie Fisher send-off in TROS was very weird though. But Ryan Coogler is a talented writer and he (not Disney or Marvel) will likely write a fitting and respectful conclusion to the character.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's pretty likely that Marvel had contingency plans for this and I think BP 2 would've been about T'Challa passing the mantle to Shuri either way. Wouldn't be surprised if the character dies off-screen and we see some kind of send-off in an Astral plane sequence.

I’m not a fan of this practice of using CGI to recreate dead people, so I’d rather they not do something like that. 

12 hours ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

CW: Gr*ce Ra****ph

If only Miss Randolph got the message beforehand. 🙄

I do not want to know what she did, only if this is hypothetical or did she already do a disgusting whatever?

24 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The Carrie Fisher send-off in TROS was very weird though. But Ryan Coogler is a talented writer and he (not Disney or Marvel) will likely write a fitting and respectful conclusion to the character.

Subjective of course, and I know this is off-topic, but I felt Fisher's handling in Rise of Skywalker was done respectfully and with good taste. Both with her repurposed footage and even her death, although I'm sure my opinion is in the minority.

Regardless, I used Disney and Marvel as a catch-all for both the creative team and producers. I'm aware things will depend on how Coogler handles it, though he'll probably need confirmation and approval from people like Feige and Chapek and the like. And unlike Fisher, Boseman was dealing with this issue for four years. I'm sure Coogler, Feige, etc. all were aware about his illness whereas Kennedy, Abrams, etc. were forced into an awful position out of the blue.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I hope that Ryan and Chadwick had a chance to discuss Chadwick’s wishes for the character before he passed. If those are known, they should be the most important factor.

This is what I think should be the primary factor in terms of whether a recast is decided or another direction. I don't mind either way, if Chadwick had laid out any indication on what those were. If there was no such discussion, then I think a recast would be very difficult to pull off.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

If done correctly, this film could be bigger than the predecessor in every way (opening, domestic and worldwide total, etc)

It had a pretty good shot OW and WW anyway, and I’m still kind of doubtful about DOM. 

24 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

but also because the greatest thing about Black Panther is Wakanda.

This.

I know that Black Panther is the brand, but if they don’t even want to touch recasting/the mantle, they could do an entire movie about the Dora Milaje or the Jabari Tribe. 

21 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Also I assume, the What If episode, unless he dubbed for it already, should be cancelled. T'challa as Starlord one.

I disagree. It’s animation.

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The Carrie Fisher send-off

See. This is my issue. Carrie Fisher’s legacy and death loomed over those films. She and Debbie passed alway like the weekend of Rogue One. I remember seeing her at the end of RO, even as CGI, was such a gut pinch. I cried the whole way home. And I cried all through The Last Jedi. And, I cried, like openly wept during TROS when Harrison Ford showed up for that stupid scene. Cause I knew the only reason he was there, was she wasn’t alive.

And in TROS we never got a chance to breathe, or mourn, Leia. We need that.

I hope they recognize that with the future MCU movies. Let the characters and audience grieve together.  We NEED that catharsis. 

As I was telling @Porthos privately last night: I guess if you want to talk about it from a Marvel Cinematic Universe perspective, it’s just fucking devastating. I mean he was being set up as the leader for the next two or three phases. He was going to be the center of it. Now there’s a giant hole. There’s a giant hole where the real life vibrant person should be and there’s a giant hole where this character should be.

10 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:I hope that Ryan and Chadwick had a chance to discuss Chadwick’s wishes for the character before he passed. If those are known, they should be the most important factor.

Omg, now I am crying again. I didn’t even think about if he had requests for the future. I was not in that mind set at all. And honestly, with the level of privacy over this, I didn’t even think anyone but the family knew. 

• Like 3