Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

10 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

It had a pretty good shot OW and WW anyway, and I’m still kind of doubtful about DOM. 

If it gets raves as good as the first one and if they give Boseman an emotional send off, it’s possible that DOM could be surpassed as well 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

If it gets raves as good as the first one and if they give Boseman an emotional send off, it’s possible that DOM could be surpassed as well 

In a post Covid world, I don’t think we should be making big box office assumptions about anything. The movie could “only” make $400 million domestically, but if everything else is only making $200 million dollars domestically, it’s still Over performing despite “underperforming”.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cap said:

In a post Covid world, I don’t think we should be making big box office assumptions about anything. The movie could “only” make $400 million domestically, but if everything else is only making $200 million dollars domestically, it’s still Over performing despite “underperforming”.  

I’m just going to blissfully assume grosses will be back to normal by summer 2022 and there’s nothing anyone can do to burst my bubble :ca:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

As I was telling @Porthos privately last night: I guess if you want to talk about it from a Marvel Cinematic Universe perspective, it’s just fucking devastating. I mean he was being set up as the leader for the next two or three phases. He was going to be the center of it. Now there’s a giant hole. There’s a giant hole where the real life vibrant person should be and there’s a giant hole where this character should be.

Omg, now I am crying again. I didn’t even think about if he had requests for the future. I was not in that mind set at all. And honestly, with the level of privacy over this, I didn’t even think anyone but the family knew. 

I think any studio that hired him since he got diagnosed would've known, at least for health insurance reasons, and I personally always felt like Captain Marvel was going to be the leader for the next couple of phases, which makes way more sense to me now. Also the unusually long 4 year gap from the first film (the longest gap between MCU sequels since Thor 2 and 3) makes more sense too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think any studio that hired him since he got diagnosed would've known, at least for health insurance reasons, and I personally always felt like Captain Marvel was going to be the leader for the next couple of phases, which makes way more sense to me now. Also the unusually long 4 year gap from the first film (the longest gap between MCU sequels since Thor 2 and 3) makes more sense too. 

Exactly.  The long, vague quiet period since the first film is definitely given some more clarity now.  Even if he wasn't meant to 'lead' the next few years, I'm sure they had significant plans around the character.  I would be willing to bet at the very least that the top Marvel/Disney brass were informed within the last couple of years.  I'm sure Boseman, the great and humble human being that he seemed to be, wouldn't have wanted them to proceed on these plans knowing that there was a high possibility things wouldn't be able to go as planned.  However, I also think that, having known...they may very well indeed have planned something...possibly even filmed something in secret as a goodbye.  Time will tell. 

My guess is that Shuri leads the next Black Panther-universe film.  Her character was a huge crowd-pleaser.

Most Marvel movies past Phase 1 are a 'one-and-done' for me, but I saw Black Panther twice in theaters; the power of what the film did was definitely significant.  And I shamefully hadn't seen '42' or 'Get on Up,' so I immediately bought them last night and will watch as soon as I receive (I'm still a physical media guy and I value the bonus features).

A great loss to contemporary cinema and as a human being.

#WakandaForever.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 7

Hate me if you want. 

But I will not accept anyone other than Shuri for taking the mantle of Black Panther. Not only because I loved T'challa and Shuri but also because Letita deserve this opportunity. 

This would be very big opportunity for her to finally become a lead actress. Opportunities for POC women are already low specially when they are cast in supporting roles in big blockbusters. 

This will be big moment for black community and I am sure Chadwick would have been really proud. 

Let's do this. Shuri is the only acceptable choice for me. 

Wakanda Forever. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Hate me if you want. 

But I will not accept anyone other than Shuri for taking the mantle of Black Panther. Not only because I loved T'challa and Shuri but also because Letita deserve this opportunity. 

This would be very big opportunity for her to finally become a lead actress. Opportunities for POC women are already low specially when they are cast in supporting roles in big blockbusters. 

This will be big moment for black community and I am sure Chadwick would have been really proud. 

Wakanda Forever. 

I second this.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I would be willing to bet at the very least that the top Marvel/Disney brass were informed within the last couple of years.  I'm sure Boseman, the great and humble human being that he seemed to be, wouldn't have wanted them to proceed on these plans knowing that there was a high possibility things wouldn't be able to go as planned. 

It is common practice for director/actor playing important character on big budget affair to pass medical test and give medical info to be able for the studio to insure the movies (enough common that when someone didn't get insured it is mentioned on the movie distribution contract).

A bit like Charlie Sheen having Hiv being well known by high level Hollywood but kept secret until the Sony email got leaked, those kind of things could be known by a good amount of insider, medical and insurer staff without getting public.

Healthcare personal, studio, reporter with access and insurer do seem to do a good jobs to keep those personal things confidential (Emilia Clarke, Sheen, Boseman).

Standard insurance contract form for actor/director engaging in a production can look like this:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/RISKMGMT/Production/Forms/Cast/Allianz Cast Medical Certificate & Affidavit.pdf

And is signed by them and a physician than examined them. I could imagine that everyone that employed him for major role since is diagnostic knew.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Hate me if you want. 

Wakanda Forever. 

I'm okay with this.

I’ll stay open minded for whatever they do till I see the movie and see for myself how they did it. I think its way too early to already ~ finalize what is oK and what not. We do not know even a little bit about whatever in the background might have been discussed already since how long? That includes a possible input of him. Or what will added as ideas... in the future. Also we do not know if the delays caused by the virus might make some things possible or not possible later on too, so many unclear details very much atypical and so on.

I am also guessing tons of websites / clickbait people will do anything to stir the fires 🔥 aka increase the time they will be heard (sadly). hence why wait and see the end-product - and not fall for false news or whatever they’ll do later on - should be IMHO the sole method, no need to get fired up without reason.

He was seemingly such a private person, I am not sure, its even possible he might have added a wish for to keep his opinion private later on still too. 

He is in a way not replaceable, but who knows, maybe they’ll find a solution we do not even think about now, also - as others said already - its about Wakanda as a kind of character too, I think in especial the BP movie had the country as a kind of a lead character in a way usually not seen in movies. They might even come up with something completely unexpected by us, maybe even with something that sounds completely whack on paper but will work? Hence waiting till seeing the final product....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Of course Disney knew.  I am pretty sure they  and every major studio  checks up on the health of an actor before siging them to a long term contract.

I think Disney asusmed that  Bosewick could beat the disease.Sadly,they were wrong.

No doubt, this has created the greatest problem Marvel Studios has had to face. The biggest tentpole of the post Infinity Wars MCU is gone. Only good thing is they have lots of time to figurte out how to deal with this tragedy.

Edited by dudalb

59 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There’s virtually no chance they’ll recast T’Challa. Anyway, that’s the last thing I’ll say, since I don’t know if I want to keep talking about the prospects of this movie right now. 

Agreed. Most likely they will have a  new  Black Panther.

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think Disney asusmed that  Bosewick could beat the disease.Sadly,they were wrong.

From what we know, he got diagnosticated (2016) after Civil War was shot and Boseman was already cast (2014 in the latest) by then.

This is tragic. Anyway, there is a 100% chance that Black Panther will not get recast. T'Challa is a very iconic role, especially for POC. Certain roles just can't be recast after an actor dies, at least not for many, many years.  I think Shuri takes on the mantle. It's the most logical step for the franchise. We have lost two big legends this year with Kobe and now Chadwick Boseman. And, to top off all the other shit of this year.