Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

HWR reporting that he wasn’t individually insured and that nobody at Marvel or related to BP had any idea: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-grapples-with-how-to-proceed-on-black-panther-without-chadwick-boseman   

That is pretty unfortunate imo. I guess they’ll just have to do whatever they think is best then.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The release of this is going to be delayed a year or two for the extensive rewrites this sounds like it's gonna need. Guessing Doctor Strange 2 moves back a couple of weeks to take the May 2022 date now.

I think Coogler and Feige are capable of making the necessary changes to the script by when production starts in mid-2021. Dr. Strange 2 seems like a pretty pivotal movie in the MCU and they were ready for a May production start (before COVID) even after the substantial creative changes that happened just a few months before release.

46 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

HWR reporting that he wasn’t individually insured and that nobody at Marvel or related to BP had any idea: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-grapples-with-how-to-proceed-on-black-panther-without-chadwick-boseman   

That is pretty unfortunate imo. I guess they’ll just have to do whatever they think is best then.

Wow. Even as close as a week before he was sure he would make it through. This makes it even more sad for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, Arendelle Legion said:

I find this really difficult to believe. Why would you not tell your employer about a serious illness you have that will affect your work?

Especially such an important person to the employer.

Do companies in America not help employees if employees have cancer or similar major illnesses?

Edited by tree

I am sure they will figure out but I am surprised they took so long to get this into production. I wish they had started production in 2019 for a planned 2020 release. its not outrageous for a sequel to come after 2 years. Anyway there is time for the team to work it out and if they are not very sure they can postpone and have other movies to take the slot. There is Cap Marvel 2 , Thor 4 and Doctor Strange 2 for 2022. So it would be ok to move this to 2023. I hope they bring out Fantastic Four characters in through some movie and later XMen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tree said:

I find this really difficult to believe. Why would you not tell your employer about a serious illness you have that will affect your work?

Especially such an important person to the employer.

Do companies in America not help employees if employees have cancer or similar major illnesses?

It kind of depends. Many states have at will employment and can fire you for anything and much of our health insurance is through our jobs. It's a very "You'll work for us because you have to have health insurance," kind of country, though Marvel could be different.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am sure they will figure out but I am surprised they took so long to get this into production. I wish they had started production in 2019 for a planned 2020 release. its not outrageous for a sequel to come after 2 years. Anyway there is time for the team to work it out and if they are not very sure they can postpone and have other movies to take the slot. There is Cap Marvel 2 , Thor 4 and Doctor Strange 2 for 2022. So it would be ok to move this to 2023. I hope they bring out Fantastic Four characters in through some movie and later XMen. 

With the amount of franchises Marvel has to juggle I think 4 years might start to become the norm for sequels. Exception of course is Spider-Man cause Sony. 

Passing the mantle to Shuri is the only way. She doesn't need to be the "perfect" BP either - they can write that into the story; she's not ready but she rises up because she has to. 

Either way, I feel like this movie should be delayed for now. 2022 is very crowded as it is. 

• Like 1

Marvel is not saying much about the future of the BP franchise, a very wise move at their part. Of course, they probably have not decided what to do next.

Moving slowly and carefully on this is both the smart and the right thing to do.

No doubt, this is the greatest blow the MCU has suffered to date.

19 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

With the amount of franchises Marvel has to juggle I think 4 years might start to become the norm for sequels. Exception of course is Spider-Man cause Sony. 

And Marvel studios are careful to not get involved with any of the SPideyvers Spinoffs. The actualy Spidey movies yes, bu the "Silks" and the "Morbiuses" Sony is pretty much on their own.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Marvel is not saying much about the future of the BP franchise, a very wise move at their part. Of course, they probably have not decided what to do next.

Moving slowly and carefully on this is both the smart and the right thing to do.

No doubt, this is the greatest blow the MCU has suffered to date.

It's only been a week...give it time...and respect to mourn.  And if it's truly the truth that no one at Marvel/Disney seemed to know, including Coogler, then, well...it's going to be a while before they figure out what they're doing.  A long while. 

those ~ special flowers they need for the transformation are theoretically destroyed, so to find a way to even give over the power to the successor in a way might get interesting.

In a way it might have been good how strongly part one was also focused on Wakanda itself (as said, I see it as something similar to an own character) and some chararcters more than ‘only’ T’Challa.

Some even criticized then the long times of absence of T’Challa in the movie as something like the movie is not fully focused on him being something negative (I do not agree), maybe missing the point the movie being about the country/culture too, also BP being not chained to a specific person, but to the one who takes on next the mantle / title of the protector of the country.

Transient (term?), not like e.g. Superman, but see CA, who gave the shield to Falcon. When age, illness, death, being MIA, or even the needs of the family,... demands a successor, the comic book world way.

That is a detail not that typical in movies till now.

In addition the changed situation to the outside world now knowing about them, pressure to let people in, greedy people, organizations, governments, or.... to gain access - could deliver reasons for T’Challa’s demise or absence. Like e.g. an explosion including attack or... some reason to not show him or as less as possible, like him from behind entering a plane or... 

Only reason to show him for a short time might be if Shuri takes the mantle, gets her hands on the flower... if they’d meet on the ancestral plane thingie, but even then it could still be their father to meet there too.

Whatever the story will be about, it has not to start in Wakanda, or even with his demise, see in part one, where at least in part things happened outside of Wakanda too.

In general the virus caused delays... will get them some more time to think about possible solutions, I hope they will allow themselves to use this time to its fullest, to enhance the chances of an (probably) unexpected solution, time-wise far away from the actual raw feelings of the family, friends, colleagues, and fans, especially the children within the fans. Personally I do not count on a more or less ‘normal’ movie creating and screening situation before 2+ years in the future, I think movies planned for a release in e.g. 2022 might get a release in e.g. 2024, as after the the restart in ~ 2+ years a lot of overhang (speaking in especial about the big budget movies) will be probably need 1-2 years to get through too. It could all happen earlier, but I prefer to be more cautious in my ~ hopes than be too optimistic (and my ~ aim still could be too optimistic too)

On 9/4/2020 at 6:02 PM, Macleod said:

It's only been a week...give it time...and respect to mourn.  And if it's truly the truth that no one at Marvel/Disney seemed to know, including Coogler, then, well...it's going to be a while before they figure out what they're doing.  A long while. 

I think it's a no brainer that Marvelknew About Chadwick's condition, but they thought "Well, he's young and will beat it in the end..worst case is we have year's delay"0 Tragically, they were wrong.

No dubt this is the greatest  problem the MCU has faced sinced in a long time.  No doubt the BP was going to be one of their "tentpole franchises" for the post Infini6ty Saga MCU.

I have to wonder if one efffect will not be for them to move much faster on the Fox acquisitons...X Men and the Fantastic Four..then they had planned. They needa huge tenpole to replace the BP.