Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

And, it's official:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-2-ryan-coogler-write-direct-sequel-1151626?utm_source=twitter

Ryan Coogler is going back to Wakanda.  Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter the filmmaker behind Marvel’s landmark Black Panther has quietly closed a deal to write and direct the sequel.  While the move was expected — Marvel wanted to keep the creative team as intact as possible and a sequel was never in any real doubt — the timing was always unclear. 

Sources say the plan at this stage is for Coogler to write next year with an eye to start production in either late 2019 or early 2020. Marvel and parent company Disney, however, have not made any official announcements about Marvel's slate of movies beyond the release of the next Avengers movie in May 2019 and a Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel in July — and plans could shift.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

This is gonna be huge, but I do think a decrease is inevitable, as usually happens with all movies where the first one is a cultural novelty (the term cultural could be used loosely here for some of the examples I'm going to use)

Avengers 1 vs 2

TFA vs TLJ

Jurassic 1 vs 2

I'm still goin got go with something like 175/550

• Like 2

Least surprising news since they announced Patty Jenkins to director to direct Wonder Woman 2.

Only surprised they took them that long.

Coogler is going to get a very,very big paycheck for this.

Watch,the rumors about this film be the Wakanda /Latarvia wars begin in 3..2..1...

Edited by dudalb

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Least surprising news since they announced Patty Jenkins to director to direct Wonder Woman 2.

Only surprised they took them that long.

Coogler is going to get a very,very big paycheck for this.

Watch,the rumors about this film be the Wakanda /Latarvia wars begin in 3..2..1...

Considering a woman had never directed a sequel to her blockbuster before I'd say this isn't the same thing as Patty Jenkins.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Considering a woman had never directed a sequel to her blockbuster before I'd say this isn't the same thing as Patty Jenkins.

Yeah, like resiging a director for a sequel for a film which proved to be a huge cash cow for the studio is not a no brainer.

21 minutes ago, Hades said:

BP is the new early May franchise....buy-buy February...

No doubt BP's Box Office move T Chaka up quite a few placed in the Marvel Superhero Pecking order, and he will get the strongest opening date they can have.

Hmm it is Marvel's MO to "reward" certain franchises if they've done super well previously to give them the prime May release but I wonder with the huge February success would they just leave Black Panther 2 for February 2021. At least this definitely means they won't be rushing this to be out by 2020.

57 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I prefer Wakanda/Atlantis wars

I don't think we'll see Latveria and Doctor Doom debut in a Black Panther movie.

9 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Also, Namor for villain/antihero + Storm as the love interest 

The character Namor's film right still are with Universal

Feige called the situation 'complicated' in spring this year, if I remember it right

Not sure if they are willing to pay the rights back for tons of money, incl - beside for several other reasons - as near to Aquaman as it is, see maybe a certain % of GA... not understanding the differences/situation and so on.