Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

44 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Nod seems likely. Still think Condon is the frontrunner for the win.

Will be hard for condon to win. Basset is sweeping the big awards so far. She won the glob and the critics choice awards. She very likely to win the Sag at this point. Condon needs to pic up some heavy steam 

I was actually thinking about the BPWF Disney+ release and it's not even 3 months after the theatrical release. That's insane to me. I really think Disney's hurting the brand with these short windows. A lot of people are just going to wait for streaming or at the most see it once in theaters and wait to see it again on Disney+. I think it should be 3 months after the theatrical release at the bare minimum, Realistically, it should probably be six months. If people know they have to wait 6 months, they'll feel more incentivized to watch in theaters. And once the movie finally does drop on streaming, there will be more hype to see it show up on Disney+ so it benefits them from both sides.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

54 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Bassett just got nominated for a BAFTA, which basically locks in her as frontrunner for the Oscar. Gonna be interesting takes when she takes the stage to win that...

I think everyone will just be happy to see "Academy Award Winner Angela Bassett" when for the longest time it seemed like she would end her career with only one Oscar nomination, which was nearly 30 years ago. Sure there will be plenty of eye-rolling that it's for a Marvel movie (these folks can already get over it) but the real moral of the story is to never give up on the hope that your favorite actors will finally get their moment even when it seems unlikely. No one else in contention for that category really makes sense as a winner at this point anyway.

36 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sure there will be plenty of eye-rolling that it's for a Marvel movie

Eh, there shouldn't be. Hollywood lives off Marvel so fine they should throw them a bone. Sucks that it wasn't when Marvel was at its prime but better late than never. I haven't seen BPWF so I can't say whether Bassett is iconic like Ledger or it's going to be a career award like Scent of a Woman but Hollywood awarded too many not so great performances and movies in the past to nitpick about this win just because of genre. We hear many pleas to take genre movies and especially performances more seriously and now that another is going to happen "No, not THAT genre performance" isn't gonna cut it. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 7:11 AM, SpiderByte said:

Bassett just got nominated for a BAFTA, which basically locks in her as frontrunner for the Oscar. Gonna be interesting takes when she takes the stage to win that...

I’m pretty pro-Angela Bassett