Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

there's still a chance that like kerry condon wins the BAFTA and sneaks the Oscar like a couple years ago when everyone thought Chadwick Boseman was the lock of the century. Angela definitely out in front but don't think it's a done deal.

• Like 2

Main reason BP gets award consideration is that it speaks about social issues which is something the academy has always liked and rewarded. I don't think it's particularly strange. Plays a part into why the film is especially well-regarded in the US as well.

Don't think the MCU gets particularly more flak than most other blockbuster franchises at the oscars or anything honestly

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there's still a chance that like kerry condon wins the BAFTA and sneaks the Oscar like a couple years ago when everyone thought Chadwick Boseman was the lock of the century. Angela definitely out in front but don't think it's a done deal.

Chadwick was lock of the century only to people who know nothing about Actor category. No one wins Actor without a Picture nom. No one. Brendan Fraser's chances went downhill now that The Whale is MIA in Picture. 

Bassett has a leg up over Condon, Hsu, Chau because she is a well known name whose time has finally come. Call it a career Oscar. Same can be said for JLC but, as others pointed out, she's splitting votes with Hsu. Also, there is no guarantee that BAFTA will award  Condon considering they are way more likely to award Farrell. So they can afford to go with the flow and award Bassett cause Banshees will be awarded in Picture, Actor and likely Script at BAFTA. All precursors like to spread the weath so I can see Farrell, Blanchett, Bassett and Quan taking BAFTA and finally Oscars.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

Wakanda Forever got nominated for best adapted screenplay at the WGA. This movie was much closer to Best Picture nom then maybe anyone anticipated. With a WGA nom, a PG nom and five Academy Awards it probably was the 11-13th movie on the list. This awards season has been impressive for the movie. Happy for Ryan and the cast.

33 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What would you prefer have been nominated in its place? 

fair point (havent seen 13 lives though)

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

I do like that the movie that had the longest window got the biggest D+ premiere. Legged out well domestically aswell in the end. Hopefully Disney that streaming and theaters can both thrive with a healthy 80-90 day+ window.

13 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Picking up the blu-ray tomorrow when it hits shelves. We have Disney+ but I like owning these movies.

Smart. Never know when a bs CEO will arrive and just write the movies off for taxes :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

I do like that the movie that had the longest window got the biggest D+ premiere. Legged out well domestically aswell in the end. Hopefully Disney that streaming and theaters can both thrive with a healthy 80-90 day+ window.

Smart. Never know when a bs CEO will arrive and just write the movies off for taxes :)

Well that's just it. Plus, I don't tend to like subscription based things in general. You never really own things that way. Unless it's something that isn't available any other way of course, like Netflix.

I haven’t bought a Marvel movie on blu ray since Black Widow. I guess I just lost interest in collecting them once Disney plus was up and going and it felt like a good spot to stop buying if I ever jump off the MCU train.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thajdikt said:

NWH, TGM and now BP2 all prove that the bigger the BO, the bigger the streaming number. BO is still an effective tool to market a movie' streaming run.

• Like 1

The movie was mostly boring until she arrived on screen.  And every time she's on screen, she engulfs it. She's so much more interesting as a character/actress than everyone else.

(honestly Angela was fine, but she gave two really good speeches and didn't do much else)

Don't get me started on how bad they styled Shuri.